1952 B3b with Cummins 4bt

1952B3b23

Good call Don.....I was on the moon.

The Lunar Rover was actually built on a 1950 Dodge truck frame, and I was tearing it down to bring back to Mother Earth. ^_^

48D

post-340-0-53920100-1389938209_thumb.jpg

Edited by 48dodger
  • Like 2

lol....COME ON DON!!! gotta hit the like button...that was a work of art.... :lol:

48D

My apologizes Chris for getting off topic...... 

Small Update... spent a bunch of time this weekend with the wire brush wheel and cleaned up my front axle,spindles, and steering arms. I also got all the necessary parts for installing the front axle disc brake kit. I bought the kit off of Charlie Akers aka Olddaddy, looks to be good quality stuff. Im getting ready to install the front suspension so hopefully i'll have a chance to drop my spindles off at a local auto machine shop to have the king pin bushings pressed in and reamed. If that goes well the plan is to start putting the front suspension back together and install the disc brake kit this coming weekend. Stay tuned.

-Chris  

Got some work done so far this weekend. I finished painting most of my front suspension components and was able to put my leaf springs on, mount the front axle, and install the king pins. Next step is to mount the rest of the front suspension parts and disc brake kit. Some pics for your viewing pleasure. 

-Chris 

post-4471-0-51288000-1390686022_thumb.jpg

post-4471-0-64654700-1390686050_thumb.jpg

post-4471-0-42337100-1390686059_thumb.jpg

Your shop floor is way too clean <_<

Its cause i dont have as much time as i'd like to go out there and make it dirty :D . I do like to try and keep the place clean and organized makes it way easier to work on stuff. 

-Chris

I got some more done on the front suspension tonight. Installed the drag link, tie rod, steering box and disc brake kit. Obviously i grabbed a hold of the steering wheel and made vroom vroom noises while turning the wheel back and forth haha. It feels good to see the front suspension together, even though it still needs to come off to get the frame blasted.

One thing i am having trouble with is installing the spring clip that hold the pads in place on the calipers. Ive attached some pics of the caliper and clips, does any one know how it goes together? They're calipers from a '78-'87 Chevy Caprice. 

Also another question, does someone have the part number or know the length of the shocks that i need for my front suspension? I want to buy some new ones, by the way its a 52 B3b.  

Thanks for looking,

-Chris 

post-4471-0-49622000-1391138351_thumb.jpg

post-4471-0-42821100-1391138361_thumb.jpg

post-4471-0-08890700-1391138372_thumb.jpg

post-4471-0-84330200-1391138382_thumb.jpg

post-4471-0-48749700-1391138395_thumb.jpg

post-4471-0-37027600-1391138405_thumb.jpg

post-4471-0-55260800-1391138415_thumb.jpg

Edited by 1952B3b23

The clips in the last photo slip on the backside of the inner pad and then slide into the piston on the caliper. You'll have to pull those long shiny bolts out of the caliper. They go through the caliper bracket as well. Left and right for the calipers, bleeder screw up.

The clips in the last photo slip on the backside of the inner pad and then slide into the piston on the caliper. You'll have to pull those long shiny bolts out of the caliper. They go through the caliper bracket as well. Left and right for the calipers, bleeder screw up.

Thanks a lot Dave thats what i need to know, i really appreciate the help. I looked at those clips and calipers for quite a while and could not figure out how to get the two together, now it makes sense.

Heres another question, how tight should i go on the spindle nut that holds the brake rotors on?

Thanks,

-Chris

If you ask 10 different people how to do this you will get 10 different answers. I personally use the touchy feely method. I snug (not tighten) the axle nut while spinning the wheel until I feel a slight resistance. I then back off to the next available cotter pin hole. Once again spinning the wheel to insure it is not over tight. If it is over tight I back off to the next available cotter pin hole. I have done it this way for over 50 years with no problems.

• Like 1

Decades ago when we changed a lot of bearings on farm machinery, to rotate and snug to set the bearings, then back off one notch as Mark and Don have noted. He said bearings need to be set, but they are not friendly to pinching, but letting off on castle nut, that frees the bearing(s) to find THEIR comfort zone. He also said to hand pack them. Now there are grease presses to fill the bearing, but we hand packed them.

. He also said to hand pack them. Now there are grease presses to fill the bearing, but we hand packed them.

Packing the bearing full of grease is paramount. I do not own a bearing packer so I use the hand method. First thing I do is take a leak. then I put a dollop of grease in the palm of my hand and slide the bearing through the grease using the palm of my hand to insure the grease fills all cavities in the bearing. Then I flip the bearing and repeat the process from the other side all the time turning the bearing to not miss any areas. As a final step I spend about a half hour trying to clean my hands before I have to repeat step number 1. :o

Packing the bearing full of grease is paramount. I do not own a bearing packer so I use the hand method. First thing I do is take a leak. then I put a dollop of grease in the palm of my hand and slide the bearing through the grease using the palm of my hand to insure the grease fills all cavities in the bearing. Then I flip the bearing and repeat the process from the other side all the time turning the bearing to not miss any areas. As a final step I spend about a half hour trying to clean my hands before I have to repeat step number 1. :o

Hahahaha step #1 is definitely the most important. I used some rubber gloves when i packed the bearings by hand, made clean up a breeze.

-Chris

At first I thought you "sanitized" your hand before you hand packed the bearing!   :huh:  When out working in the field, we cleaned our hands with dirt. Nothing removes grease faster than clean dirt, be it damp or dry.  The Indians used sand and that works best. 

Edited by pflaming

. .  I sung (not tighten) the . . .

So the bearings not done until the fat man's sung?

Real men do not use gloves when packing grease.....you need that grease to make your shop food taste better. lol.

48D

I guess I'm not a real man. Got used to needing disposable gloves for "body substance isolation" on first responder work and now I use them in the garage too. Makes clean up really, really easy. And I don't get grease on the steering wheel on that test drive to see if everything is working correctly.

Real men do not use gloves when packing grease.....you need that grease to make your shop food taste better. lol.

48D

To that i say real men don't worry about eating in there shop, they work. haha

Any one know where i can find the part number for some new shocks for my front suspension? Ive looked on here and keep coming up empty... maybe im not looking in the right places. Its a 52 B3b by the way.

Thank you,

-Chris