'54 Dodge 5 Window

So, I've been searching the internet relentlessly for information on the 1954 Dodge 5 window. I realize this forum is for up to '53, but I'm hoping at least one person on here can give me some sort of information! I have searched long and hard for the 1954 Dodge 5 Window, but I've not been able to find any solid information on it, what so ever. I'll I get is some completed ones, some junk yard photos, and a tiny bit of discussion. What am I doing wrong that I can't find a thing about these? Are they called something else? A 1/2 ton possibly? I haven't seen the truck up close, but my brother(who has) informs me it is a long bed. Here's a photo of the truck:

3Ec3Ge3Lf5I55Ed5Mecale05a4dcf05621502.jpg

I literally know NOTHING about it, except for what I can see. Can anyone help me out, please?

I want to rebuild the truck with my dad and brother. I'm not necessarily trying to restore it, so much as make it something original maybe with the frame still. So, anything you can do to help me or guide me or share any kind of info would be MUCH appreciated!

Thats a C series truck, which came after the 48-53 B series. I believe they made the C series 54-56. They are similar in looks to the B series but there are fairly different, like a one piece windshield and etc. I've never really done much research on them, but I found a few things on a quick internet search that may help. Long bed would make it a 3/4 ton or 1 ton I believe.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dodge-C-Series-Trucks-Restorer-Ref-Gd-/310359150035?pt=US_Nonfiction_Book&hash=item4842d8cdd3

http://www.allpar.com/model/ram/ram-trucks-C.html

Shop Manuals:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=dodge+c+series+truck&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313&_nkw=1954+dodge+truck+manual&_sacat=0

Hope this helps

-Joe

Edited by 52b3b218

A quick internet search of "Dodge C Series Truck" netted a some info.

http://www.pickuptrucks.com/html/history/segment7.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dodge_C_Series

http://www.allpar.com/model/ram/ram-trucks-C.html

Including a link to a site where you can purchase this book. (I assume there's other sources for it too)

DodgeC-SeriesTruckRestorationGuide.jpg

http://www.faxonautoliterature.com/1954-1956-Dodge-C-Series-Trucks-Restorers-Originality-Guide-History-P13887.aspx

And although the site is primarily '48-'53 owners, there are others with earlier series trucks and a few with C-Series trucks.

Welcome aboard.

Merle

Welcome! Don't worry about this being a Pilot House forum, there are some similarity's between the B and C series.

Like:

You're truck is 6 volt.

It has left handed lug nuts on the drivers side.

Might have the 230ci flat head.

Roberts carries some parts for you truck:

http://www.robertsmotorparts.com/truck_parts.asp

Hagens:

http://www.hagensautoparts.com/1954/DODGE+-+Truck/

You guys are fantastic! That's what I was looking for, I knew it had some kind of designation as a B, C or D, but I couldn't for the life of me figure out which! I assume this means it has the 241?

No, C is the series.

C1B is a 1/2 ton.

C1C " " 3/4 ton.

C1D " " 1 ton.

Looks like the 241 was an option for the '54 C's.

Look at the Hagen link, you'll see what I'm talking about. :)

Keven

Should be a metal tag on the drivers A pillar door post that will have letters and numbers on it. That will give you the tonage and wheelbase. !/2 tons were available in either 108 or 116 wheelbases, 3/4 in in 116 only and 1 tons in 116 and 126 inch.

According to Don Bunn ( get his books), '54 was the beginning of the Functional Design era. Not as cool a name as Pilothouse but a lot of similarities in design. Body lines may even be better proportioned than the Pilothouse. Matter of perpective, I guess.

Welcome to the best show in town.

Obviously 54 is my favorite :), people are probably getting tired of me throwing pics of mine on here at every opportunity :) you will find alot of very helpful information on here, I have learned a ton, from some very smart guys...you dont see very many 5 windows in the 54, looks like a solid base for a great truck..good luck

post-6464-13585371700957_thumb.jpg

Obviously 54 is my favorite :), people are probably getting tired of me throwing pics of mine on here at every opportunity :) you will find alot of very helpful information on here, I have learned a ton, from some very smart guys...you dont see very many 5 windows in the 54, looks like a solid base for a great truck..good luck

That right there is why I am interested in getting this truck. What a beautiful truck you have there! I haven't decided on colors yet, but I've seen 3(including yours now) in that same color sort of and I love it. I'm not sure though what color I want to do it yet. From the fading paint on the truck it looks like the original was this color: 7-4.gif

I certainly wouldn't mind restoring it to look much like that!

Question for you guys then as you'll know a little bit more about this than me. What would you say is a fair price for the one I pictured? It doesn't run, but the engine isn't locked up. Of course, I know you can't see the interior and don't know the condition of it as well as you would probably like. But what's the price, if you were buying, you wouldn't go over?

Looks like a $500 special to me. Do they have the missing grill bars? 6 or 8?

Yep! They have the missing grill bars and headlights. Also, someone pointed out the circle on the hood meant 6. I blew the picture up a bit, and it looks like he is right. If the circle indicated a 6 and the V indicated an 8, then it's definitely a 6.

Yep! They have the missing grill bars and headlights. Also, someone pointed out the circle on the hood meant 6. I blew the picture up a bit, and it looks like he is right. If the circle indicated a 6 and the V indicated an 8, then it's definitely a 6.

HAHA that was me! Having those missing pieces helps. I'd still think 500-750 range.

...Also, someone pointed out the circle on the hood meant 6. I blew the picture up a bit, and it looks like he is right. If the circle indicated a 6 and the V indicated an 8, then it's definitely a 6.
HAHA that was me!...

I wondered why you asked that Ed. Are you getting old and forgetful like the rest of us. :D

I wondered why you asked that Ed. Are you getting old and forgetful like the rest of us. :D

Nope was just checking to see if he'd confirmed my suspicion. Also there's always the slight chance of someone changing the hood and not the badge etc. In S dakota I found a plymouth that must have had a replacement trunk lid as it was marked as both overdrive and powerflite.

Welcome the best place for Vintage Dodge Trucks...lol. Seems quite a few of us have trucks on both sides of the 48-53 PH.

I would make a list of whats NOT there....price those parts best you can (cuz your the one who knows best what you plan on building). Then create the simple budget. And I would create one designed with a lot of time (ie 3 years to finish) to allow for what you really want. You basically have a frame, suspension and maybe 90 percent of body panels ready go. Engine and tranny are usally the heart breakers, just cuz it turn doesn't mean its gonna run. If the budget is 3 grand and all the parts you want are 25 hundred...there is only 500 left for the rusty core in that guy's driveway. you get the idea.

Bottom line is what is it worth to you. You have a build in mind. How does it fit into your project. The guy selling it, could have a number, but its what your willing to pay that will make the difference.

48D

post-580-13585371701714_thumb.jpg

post-580-13585371701875_thumb.jpg

post-580-13585371702066_thumb.jpg

Nope was just checking to see if he'd confirmed my suspicion. Also there's always the slight chance of someone changing the hood and not the badge etc. In S dakota I found a plymouth that must have had a replacement trunk lid as it was marked as both overdrive and powerflite.

Oh, well I haven't confirmed it in person. Just blew the picture up to see that the emblem would indicate it.

Welcome the best place for Vintage Dodge Trucks...lol. Seems quite a few of us have trucks on both sides of the 48-53 PH.

I would make a list of whats NOT there....price those parts best you can (cuz your the one who knows best what you plan on building). Then create the simple budget. And I would create one designed with a lot of time (ie 3 years to finish) to allow for what you really want. You basically have a frame, suspension and maybe 90 percent of body panels ready go. Engine and tranny are usally the heart breakers, just cuz it turn doesn't mean its gonna run. If the budget is 3 grand and all the parts you want are 25 hundred...there is only 500 left for the rusty core in that guy's driveway. you get the idea.

Bottom line is what is it worth to you. You have a build in mind. How does it fit into your project. The guy selling it, could have a number, but its what your willing to pay that will make the difference.

48D

Thanks, this is fantastic advice and I truly appreciate it. Way better than what I normally do. Which is buy whatever it is and then worry about how I'm going to pay for the repair costs and how much the repair costs will actually be. So thanks, I will make sure to do that. Especially with a project like this!