seriously, what are these worth?

alteredpilot

i bought the one i own at a price that was worth it to me because i knew how far ahead i'd be based on the work that was done so i'm not asking about the one i already own.....

but i'm new to these so i have no idea like if it was a 52 chevy.

reason i ask is a guy contacted me about trading my shovelhead for ANOTHER 48 p-15 special deluxe club coupe.

the car is basically stock (drive train) and complete it has some custom work (molded rear fenders, shaved trunk and rear lights, all of which i woulda done anyway, and different bench seat.)

the car is rewired in new cloth covered wire and converted to 12v, also notched and lowered out back. needs interior but its all there (seat frames, headliner bows, garnish moldings, dash, etc.)

so if the car was an all stock running driving car that needed a little work (interior, paint, maybe go through the brakes) what kinda bux would it pull?

what about a nice complete presentable driver? you know, you're average 10 footer...

i dont need another car, but i also don't need the harley. i know what i would trade it for if it were a ford or chevy, but i'm still green on these.

thanks for your input.

Edited by alteredpilot

What do you think this new trade is worth? What do you think the one you bought is worth? What is the harley worth? I assume you have done some research on e-bay and craigs list to see what these cars sell for. Seriously, I cannot tell you what any car it is worth to you. I can only tell you what it is worth to me. And without seeing the car and without any pictures I cannot tell you what it is worth to me.

i have no idea what its worth as a basically stock car. as i said before i'm not up to speed on the plymouth values like i am on the makes i have dealt with for the last 25 years. i know what it would run in my shop to do the work thats been done, but that cant always be factored into the price of a car.

sure i've looked at ebay and craigslist. i also buy and sell cars as a lifestyle and i know that ads represent the sellers hopes, and aren't necessarily reflective of the actual market. Thanks barrett jackson.

lets forget about evaluating the worth of the car in question.

maybe i should ask this way...

so if the car was an all stock running driving car that needed a little work (interior, paint, maybe go through the brakes) what kinda bux would it pull?

what about a nice complete presentable driver? you know, you're average 10 footer...

you guys have probably been involved with these models a heck of alot longer than i, and that's why i'm asking here.

if i take the trade, it wont be for keeps so i need to be realistic about what the market is for these vehicles so that i don't wind up upside-down on the deal. i know what my bike is worth on the open market, but i'm sick of looking at it and i cant put my wife on the back of it. so a car that i don't need is much more useful to me than i a bike i don't need. but if it means taking a loss, then i'll just go out and polish my bike.

If you have no interest in the car anyway I would suggest the seller sell it for $6000 and then buy your bike. If he has been unable to sell it in your local market at that price what would make it easier for you to do so?

i didn't say i have no interest in it, i said i don't NEED it. he hasn't been trying to sell it, he just offered to trade it.

can we please just stick to answering the question?

Originally Posted by oldodge41

Quote "If you have no interest in the car anyway I would suggest the seller sell it for $6000 and then buy your bike. If he has been unable to sell it in your local market at that price what would make it easier for you to do so?" Unquote...

...Actually,I agree with this reply...It's up to you to decide if you can turn a dollar on the deal.Not knowing the condition of your bike,nor the value and not having inspected the car you wish to trade it for,I'm thinking -what's the problem? Always better to deal with cash in hand...

i didn't say i have no interest in it, i said i don't NEED it. he hasn't been trying to sell it, he just offered to trade it.

maybe i should ask this way...

you guys have probably been involved with these models a heck of alot longer than i, and that's why i'm asking here.

if i take the trade, it wont be for keeps so i need to be realistic about what the market is for these vehicles so that i don't wind up upside-down on the deal. i know what my bike is worth on the open market, but i'm sick of looking at it and i cant put my wife on the back of it. so a car that i don't need is much more useful to me than i a bike i don't need. but if it means taking a loss, then i'll just go out and polish my bike.

Edited by Ralph D25cpe
Clarify

Have you ever tried to sell an old MoPar??

If so, how did it go?

As was said, they don't usually command the money of a Ford or

Chevy of similar vintage.....given equal condition of each.

I would look it over carefully for condition of the floors, rockers

and trunk floor. It could be repainted and a few other things to

make it into a better looking vehicle, but not sure how much over

the value of your bike it would make it worth.

All these old cars are worth something......but the problem is as

you asked....how much. With interior, etc you MIGHT be able

to get 10 grand if you find the right buyer. Just my thoughts,

i bought the one i own at a price that was worth it to me because i knew how far ahead i'd be based on the work that was done so i'm not asking about the one i already own.....

but i'm new to these so i have no idea like if it was a 52 chevy.

reason i ask is a guy contacted me about trading my shovelhead for ANOTHER 48 p-15 special deluxe club coupe.

the car is basically stock (drive train) and complete it has some custom work (molded rear fenders, shaved trunk and rear lights, all of which i woulda done anyway, and different bench seat.)

the car is rewired in new cloth covered wire and converted to 12v, also notched and lowered out back. needs interior but its all there (seat frames, headliner bows, garnish moldings, dash, etc.)

i dont need another car, but i also don't need the harley. i know what i would trade it for if it were a ford or chevy, but i'm still green on these.

thanks for your input.

I was in the car business for 30 years and we use to say there was an "a$$ for every seat". If you can find someone who just loves your car and has to have it, then the value is in the eyes of the buyer. Check out e-bay and Hemmings to get an idea of what simular cars are selling for to give you an idea of value. If yours is extra nice and shows well you have a better chance of selling it at a higher price. I've watched buyers pass up buying a nice car with a good drivertrain but the paint wasn't great to buy a car with questionable running gear that was polished up and looking good. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

:rolleyes::D

I would say sorry for offering that suggestion, but I am not. Seems to me now that you already know what you want to do and just need someone to validate that position. Good luck and goodbye.

Nose cone Shovel is a fair trade for the car. Flat side Shovel he'd better pony up the car and some cash.

Resale on that car around here would maybe be in the $4-4.5K range. A nose cone Shovel $3.5-4K. A Flatside Shovel $6-8K.

You can unload a Harley any day of the week around here. Finding new homes for pre- muscle car Mopars is next to impossible.

I would say sorry for offering that suggestion, but I am not. Seems to me now that you already know what you want to do and just need someone to validate that position. Good luck and goodbye.

actually, you have no idea.

my goodness.

the innernets is amazing. it has the ability to turn a simple question asked in plain english into a completely unnecessary production full of things that have no bearing on the question at hand.

all i asked about was the potential value of a particular automobile. i never asked for advise or validation from a bunch of complete strangers. i purposely left the value of my bike out of it for this exact reason. all i needed was an opinion for a bunch of guys who i thought were up to speed on the market for old plymouths. if i was mistaken, then my bad.

out of all the responses, i got one straight answer and another that went a little beyond. thanks guys for at least answering the questions that was asked.

Edited by alteredpilot

Kind of like someone considering a car that is "notched, lowered, molded, shaved, 12-volt, with a shot interior and leaky brakes" and hopes to figure what its worth by asking the value of an all-stock running driving car or a 10-foot presentable driver?

Scruffy49 has your answer. If you don't particularly want another Plymouth — or your Harley — sell the Harley.

Chris..where is the drama in that?

Kind of like someone considering a car that is "notched, lowered, molded, shaved, 12-volt, with a shot interior and leaky brakes" and hopes to figure what its worth by asking the value of an all-stock running driving car or a 10-foot presentable driver?

Scruffy49 has your answer. If you don't particularly want another Plymouth — or your Harley — sell the Harley.

Follow along...

if there's anything i've learned its that you can never expect to get any more for a car than market value for a stock type vehicle no matter how much work has been put into it. the work may help or hinder depending on audience, but never bank on more than a stock car would pull.

THATS why i asked the way i did.

thanks, but i didn't ask scruffy for advice on what to do or you for that matter. but its the innernet so i'll get everything but what i asked for.

i think this thread has turned into "nothing to add, talk to hear yourself talk"

if you wanna be helpful, just answer the question. if you cant answer it, then move on.

thanks.

Edited by alteredpilot