Wheel covers

MoparAl-

Hi guys, picked these nos covers up on USA Ebay a couple of weeks ago, got the delivery tday, fitted ok but my 10" dog caps dont ! i tried adjusting the securing clips on the wheel but didnt feel confident the caps would stay on, have any of you guys had these in the past ?, are there smaller caps for these covers ? thanx Al

post-8158-1358537126569_thumb.jpg

post-8158-13585371267575_thumb.jpg

by your picture, and by going from memory, the Chrysler outer ring just crowns the opening in the middle and does not go into the center and further does not have the small 90 degree lip...this is proabably the problem all around..the design is the reason only 10 inch caps will secure and hide the gap and the 9 inch one cannot be used..

I went to lok at my set of 4 NOS one here but not sure what box they are in at the minute to snap a pcitre for you...

Those things are hard to find right. I have about 4 sets now trying to find some that fit on my 48. Also most of the ones that don't fit my 48 will fit my 51 so its not that they are an off brand. For some reason those other wheels have a slightly different profile in the center.

That sounds about right, my wheels could be any years ? i will endeavor to make them fit one way or another Lol

Been out in car today, there was an advert in our local paper for a new local car meet, todays first meet was at a small local airfield that had a Battle of Britain Day, about 30 cars turned up and scores of spectators, there was three American muscle cars and:

THIS BUICK:

post-8158-13585371283434_thumb.jpg

ME & MY P15:

post-8158-13585371284339_thumb.jpg

BROTHER-IN-LAW

post-8158-13585371284961_thumb.jpg

EARLY FORD

post-8158-13585371285678_thumb.jpg

MISSUS, BROTHER AND SPITFIRE !

post-8158-13585371281073_thumb.jpg

Those look to be later than 48. I have the orgininals that came with my D24, and they don't roll over into the center like your's do. That lip in the center looks like it'd interfere with the hubcap attaching to the clips. The ones on my car come to just short of the crown, just enough to be covered by the hub-caps. There may be subtle differences in the rims, (that I haven't figured out), too. I have a rim for my spare that fits on the car, but none of my hubcaps will snap on to it, with or without the trim ring.

BTW - what shade of gray is your car? Mine is "Fortress Gray", very light. I'm thinking of repainting it in the next couple of years and really like the hue of your car.

Edited by Dan Hiebert
Additional thought

Here's a set I have........you can see they don't come as far into the

center of the wheel.

100_1211.jpg

100_2463.jpg

I recently acquired this set.......they also don't come into the center as much as yours....but more

than the chrome ones.

They are in the original box.......but I haven't yet actually tried putting one on a wheel as

my wheels are still in storage after the tornado. When I get the wheels home, I'll test the fit.

The box says they are for Plymouth 49-53.

DSC05133.jpg

DSC05136.jpg

Edited by BobT-47P15

Well guys, im gonna try and alter the clips somehow, will let you know how it turns out. regarding the colour, i took the car back to my mates yesterday to get it mopped up now the paint had had time to harden, i asked matey what colour did he get to match my Airwing Gray and he gave me the tin............

VOLKSWAGEN GHOST GREY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well guys, im gonna try and alter the clips somehow, will let you know how it turns out.

I wouldn't try and alter the clips as that will likely make the problem worse and your hubcaps will not clip on either in my opinion. Unfortunately, my guess is you have the wrong outer rings. You need the ones like Bob is showing.

the trim ring you need is as Bob T posted the picture as I would have posted had I found where I packed mine away and photgraphed...the fact it DOES NOT enter into the recess of the wheel tells the whole story..if the rings you have will actually lay flush with the rim as it's meets the top of your rim as it enters the well then the actual cutting of the trim ring at this point is you best bet...alter the clip and you run the chance that the hubcaps will never remain on the car..would really hate to see you mess up a good set of retainers on a rim over a set of non correct trim ring...the hubcap is the cover all of all sins in this area..again the reason the 10 inch caps are required instead of the smaller 9 inch cap..interally both the 9 and 10 are identical..

Edited by Tim Adams
sp