Need help putting a chevy driveline in plymouth coupe

47PLYMOUTH HOODLUM

Also, just a few quick answers to your questions.......get some catalogs from a few Wiring companies, the best thing would be to get an catalog from places like Chassis Engineering, Posies, Summit, Speedway Motors, Fatman Fabrications, etc.......I would NOT use any original wiring, convert it to 12 volts, get the Rusty Hope disc brake kit, it'll have all the instruction, etc, run NEW brake lines to the new brakes, get a rear end off a late model car, ideally with the same wheel bolt pattern tho' with multi hole wheels now that isn't a huge problem, try not do do more than you need to do to start with, ie, DO NOT CHASSIS SWAP........this would to me be the worst thing possible as its not needed and unless you are very experineced will more than likely result in a wasted effort. Also can you WELD?............if not, get a welder and start practicing.........lol.....anyway although I am in Oz I would be prepared to call and have a talk thru some things if you wanted.......send a pm with your phone number & best time, your time to call, your east coast right?.........regards, Andy Douglas

I forgot to mention....I am NOT going to do a frame swap! Not looking to get into all kinds of stuff. Just want to get Er done and ride the thing! Will respond to your pm shortly! Thanks again Andy!!

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don was not being a smartass, he was telling you what most guys do.................read up on all the new parts out there. And they are in all the new magazines.

If you are going to tackle this job you will have to do welding and fabricating.

Sometimes, it's hard to read between the lines, when you're reading a message. Things can easily sound how they aren't intended. I'm not one to take **** from no man! I do apologize!! I will also apologize to the don when I get to his message!

I got the welding and fabricating down. I can figure it out. Never done this. Just looking for responses, from people who may have done this before me! Learn from them. I can do it...it'll just take longer....since I will most definitely have trials and errors. That was my goal, in posting this thread! Thanks for the info...

That was a VERY rude response to a very polite suggestion. Reading your original post leaves me with the impression you have no idea what you are doing. I'm sure your dump-rod will soon turn up on ebay among all the others.

Haha!!! You really made me laugh with this! I will soon post my progress of my rod!! I will be sure to revisit this thread, and push it straight in your face! You wish, I will throw in the towel, and put it up on eBay! Maybe, youve done that. I dont get down like that! It'll never happen! Bet on that!!! Stay tuned.......

Btw....never claimed I knew everything or anything for that matter! I think that's why I posted this thread........to ask for help!

Take a look through the thread about putting a 413 in the Plymouth, some of the same issues he faced will be on your path. If you have been under your car, you will notice that the rear of the engine is mounted at the bellhousing, GM prefered to support thier engines and transmissions at the far ends. So the crossmember that is in there holdig up the reat of you stock engine will no be compatable with your swap. So you will need to buy, or fabricate some other sort of support in addition figuring out the front mounts.

All kinds of people have spent lots of money and time building a plymouth hot rod with alternate power. There are several threads you can find discussing their successes ad failures. Take a look at WMSTORY threads regarding his coup build.

Have fun whatever you do.

I haven't been underneath the Plymouth yet. Well...not enough to look at what you mentioned. I was wondering about the TRANS mount the other night. Think I was thinking of taking the crossmember out and moving it to the appropriate position. Was also thinking of headers. What headers to go with! I think out of everything, I was thinking of that the most. Thinking what'll fit. Will I have to hammer the firewall in spots to fit. I wanna learn from people who did this before me...learn from their mistakes!

I will check for those threads you mentioned. Thanks so much for your help...really appreciated!

the hamb is a very informative group with plenty of chevy and associated mounting parts parts and such available to you, pretty sure there will be plenty of members there who have done this exact swap..your attitute and language will fit in there well also..do what you like with your car...solict for thoughts/ideas/suggestions here and accept them as given as they were asked for by you..you opened that door by asking..if you a particular suggestion not in line with your thinking..kindly move on to the next suggestion..this is an open forum and individual answers to your questions are part of the package..wish not to be criticized, then do not solict the forum for input..if you need SBC specific answers then a site dedicated to the SBC may be the best place for you..on your 27th day of membership and 34 posts..and profanity spewing forth onto a public forum..it is my hopes that the members exercise their right to place you on their ignore list...

Guess the hamb site is where I will mostly find my answers. 27th day and 34 posts? Doesn't mean anything to me! As I said previously, I read Don's response wrong. Sounded like a smart remark to me. I am on to stand my ground. Just my nature! It makes no difference to me, if members have me on the "ignore" list.......

If you can get your hands on a copy of this book it can be a good resource for you as well. I don't know what's up with the prices at amazon (perhaps the book is out of print?); You can probably get it from a local library though. Keep us posted on your progress!

http://www.amazon.com/Build-Chrysler-Plymouth-Dodge-Rods/dp/1878772171/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1346077137&sr=8-1&keywords=how+to+build+dodge+chrysler+and+plymouth+hot+rods+by+tex+smith#reader_1878772171

Whoa!!!!!! Wow! I would love to read this book. that's a hefty price tag, on the book!

I sure will post updates! Thanks for the link!!

Putting a V8 (regardless of engine manufacturer) into one of these cars will not be a bolt in deal. You can buy universal motor mount kits and transmission cross members from places like summit or speedway but nothings going to just bolt in, there's alot of measuring, cutting, welding, cutting again, moving something because of stuff in the way, etc.. that's involved with an engine swap. The Chevy v8 will be the easiest to swap though because of all the aftermarket support but the purists will shun you for it.

Have you thought of hopping up the original engine? This will be the easiest route to take by far.

As far as the brakes go the Rusty Hope set up is pretty good, the only hard part is drilling and tapping a few holes, other than that just buy the parts on the list he will supply you with, bolt them on and go.

Tires: its hard to fit these cars with wide tires, you cant just tub them (tubs are for bathrooms anyway) the frame rails are in the way. If you want the 80's pro street look then you will have to "back half" the car. Option B would be to cut the wheel openings and go with the 70's street freak look where the tires are sticking out past the fenders. A 235 75 15 is about the biggest tire that will fit comfortably without rubbing anything.

I kinda figured, it wouldn't be a direct bolt in fit!! Of course not -it'll probably fight me the whole entire way!

You said it....."The Chevy v8 will be the easiest to swap though because of all the aftermarket support." Dont really care who likes it or not. Shun me!

Truthfully, I did think of running the flat6 for a little bit. My wife and I, both agreed, we want more power. Just out of curiosity..how much hopping up can a flat6 produce? I have a Chevy motor just sitting and my wife has a transmission from a nova. It just makes sensense, to go the Chevy route!

I am going to go with rustyhope or one other guy (who is a bit more $$$) on here. I'm guessing, I have to bend my own brake lines. Correct? I think it's safe to say, there's no source for pre-formed brake lines.

235's or I may try and squeeze 255's with slight modification. Would mind back halfing....if the Plymouth was dedicated to just going in a straight line. However, this is intended as a street driven vehicle.

Believe me......there is NO WAY I am cutting the wheel openings, to put fat tires past the fenders. Those plymouths have way too cool of body lines, to destroy it for that! Your comment was very informative. Thank you!

I don't care about originality! Don't care, who I offend by stuffing a sbc, in MY CAR! I love ALL kinds of cars! I don't discriminate!!! Way too many cool cars, to be stuck on one type! Besides....costs wayyy less, to build more hp, than mopar! Everyone has their preference. To call out people, who don't stay pure to mopar, as not "real" mopar men, is wrong!

OK now you are showing your ignorance! I can build a sb mopar that will crush your chevy for pretty much the same $$. Mopar has and always will be far more technically advanced than gm.

47Plym....on the 1940 Dodge I have 15x10 rear wheels running 275/65x15 T/A radials and have NOT tubbed the rear end........lol.......I did have to weld 2" of steel into the fenders tho, front to back.....lol ......but without doing the fender widening trick I have 15x7 and 235/75 x15 tyres on the rear of the 1941 Plymouth............see pics..........anyway, just take your time, remember these guys here(myself included) have been doing the car thing for a long time so be gentle........lol........regards, andyd

post-1938-13585370587314_thumb.jpg

post-1938-13585370587709_thumb.jpg

post-1938-13585370588048_thumb.jpg

Here we have a lot of bull **** agin just because someone ask for advise. If he wanted opinions he would have ask for opinions. I took a lot of the post as uncalled for remarks also and know those posters don't care what I think as I don't care what they think. Those of you who are going to be offended should learn not to offend.

If you want this to be a purest site talk to GK and have it changed.

I am a Mopar person but say do it your way, it's your car,your money.

If you will pay for it I'll do it your way.

Send your ck today and I'll get started tomorrow.:):)

It has been suggested in the past to use the "search" function.I'm sure if this was done,the person posting this thread would have known beforehand that a lively discussion would follow...Just a thought.:)

Edited by Ralph D25cpe

I used to be a bowtie guy through and through till i bought my first Mopar to flip and drove it around for a month or so. That car was a 70 340 Challenger convertible. That car whooped butt on any chevy i raced and it rode way better than any chevy i had driven. When someone says that one brand is cheaper or easier to work on than a moper it shows they do not know much as one is no harder than another or cheaper if you know where to look. And most are right it is their car and money so they can do what they please with it. but ask for advise and you know what is going to happen, go to a chevy site and tell them you are going to drop a sb mopar in a camaro and watch what happens!! I have a buddy that put a 440 in a 57 chevy just to piss off the chevy guys and it worked!:D And yes i used to put a sb chevy into all kinds of cars but but now i try and keep with the same brand of motor as car.

Edited by dezeldoc

While trying to stay out of the politics thing...is it really such an awful thing to put a chevy engine in a mopar...there's two reasons for doing that-

1- lil bowtie engines are cheap to put together, find parts for and support for- true!...I could honestly say no other motor has such a following on all counts. Maybe if there were as many mopar flathead 6's out there we'd have that kind of support too.

2- to rattle someone's cage, but anyone can do that...heck even I could with wanting to put a chrysler in my plymouth, someone could look at that with the very same attitude. Some folks would look at me as being insane to pour the intended money into my flathead 6 as opposed to any other engine that would yield better performance numbers for less money...I choose to do it because I want to.

Isn't it just nice to see anyone keep any old mopar out on the road to drive it?...I don't want to be a hater....I've owned and liked other makes, but I loved my mopars.

Alright, I'm off my soapbox now as I need it to paint my rear axle...

Hmmm, not as readily found I think...what do you search under, "arguments in this forum over installing a chevy in a mopar"? :D

Using the "Search" function,under keyword(s),enter- Chevy..under user name,

enter - old woolie..Old woolie hasn't posted in a while...:cool:

Edited by Ralph D25cpe

Using the "Search" function,under keyword(s),enter- Chevy..under user name,

enter - old woolie..Old woolie hasn't posted in a while...:cool:

He quit the forum over this same or very similar issue. Hasn't been back so therefore a man of his word. Too bad, I miss him although he was very opinionated (Mopar or no car)...............but so are a lot of others on this forum including me. I like 'em stock or close to.

While trying to stay out of the politics thing...is it really such an awful thing to put a chevy engine in a mopar...there's two reasons for doing that-

1- lil bowtie engines are cheap to put together, find parts for and support for- true!...I could honestly say no other motor has such a following on all counts. Maybe if there were as many mopar flathead 6's out there we'd have that kind of support too.

2- to rattle someone's cage, but anyone can do that...heck even I could with wanting to put a chrysler in my plymouth, someone could look at that with the very same attitude. Some folks would look at me as being insane to pour the intended money into my flathead 6 as opposed to any other engine that would yield better performance numbers for less money...I choose to do it because I want to.

Isn't it just nice to see anyone keep any old mopar out on the road to drive it?...I don't want to be a hater....I've owned and liked other makes, but I loved my mopars.

Alright, I'm off my soapbox now as I need it to paint my rear axle...

I wonder what people would say about the New Venture transmission both built by Gm And Chrysler together?

"The New Venture Gear 4500, commonly called NV4500, is a 5-speed manual transmission manufactured by New Venture Gear and used in General Motors and Chrysler products from 1992–2007.

The NV4500 is a very popular 5-speed manual conversion and upgrade transmission in light trucks and SUVs from Toyota, Ford, Jeep, General Motors, and Dodge. Commercially produced adapters are available to mate this transmission with many different engines and transfer cases.

There were many subtle changes during the production of this transmission, but the main two variations were:

NV4500LD: Used in GM gas and diesel applications, and Dodge V8 gas applications.

NV4500HD: Used in Dodge light duty trucks with the Cummins Turbo Diesel, and the V10 Magnum gas engine".

May'be someone will now want to scrap their Dodge because half the tranny was built by the General? Careful what you ask for, god help you if you ever owned an AMC product, Gm Steering, Chrysler trans, Prestolite ign, Ford Altenators, etc. Every manufactor does it. Just good business, I've even seen a Chrysler Vin on a Motor Home that had a 454 Chevy motor that was covered under Chrysler warranty. It's not evil and the sky won't fall.

:eek:;):D

ANYWAY........its not the end of the world as we know it........there are a lot more things happening in the world that are worse, so.........I'm still gunna be here, why?........because its still the BEST MOPAR FORUM/CLUB/GROUP/BUNCH OF GUYS around.........I've been playing with 1940 Dodges since 1969 and gee its nice to meet up with a bunch of guys who know what an upper A arm looks like, rather than me have to listen to talk about split wishbones all the time...........so appreciate what we have here, o/k so sometimes its not what you or ME want exactly BUT it is mopar mostly...........anyway, my 3 oz cents worth..........Andy Douglas, andyd, andydodge...........whatever.

I wonder what people would say about the New Venture transmission both built by Gm And Chrysler together?

"The New Venture Gear 4500, commonly called NV4500, is a 5-speed manual transmission manufactured by New Venture Gear and used in General Motors and Chrysler products from 1992–2007.

The NV4500 is a very popular 5-speed manual conversion and upgrade transmission in light trucks and SUVs from Toyota, Ford, Jeep, General Motors, and Dodge. Commercially produced adapters are available to mate this transmission with many different engines and transfer cases.

There were many subtle changes during the production of this transmission, but the main two variations were:

NV4500LD: Used in GM gas and diesel applications, and Dodge V8 gas applications.

NV4500HD: Used in Dodge light duty trucks with the Cummins Turbo Diesel, and the V10 Magnum gas engine".

May'be someone will now want to scrap their Dodge because half the tranny was built by the General? Careful what you ask for, god help you if you ever owned an AMC product, Gm Steering, Chrysler trans, Prestolite ign, Ford Altenators, etc. Every manufactor does it. Just good business, I've even seen a Chrysler Vin on a Motor Home that had a 454 Chevy motor that was covered under Chrysler warranty. It's not evil and the sky won't fall.

:eek:;):D

My big Ford truck has a NVG transfer case. Ford used a lot of them in their trucks.

As a side note, New Process Gear in Syracuse, builders of the mentioned NV4500 and assorted other transmissions (like the A833), transfer cases and transaxles, has ceased operations. It's last shift was Friday.

Whew !!! I need a beer !!! :D Cass, alias littlemo...

I'll drink to that:cool:

I helped my Uncle install a 327, (actually a 307, 327 sounds so much more macho), into his 36 Plymouth Coupe. Nova rearend, and trans.

The only difficult part was the steering column. I founds some steering components in Stree Rodder Magazine.

The stock engine had plenty of get up and go, so more HP would have been "overkill".

New Venture is the new name for the joint venture of the Chrysler's New Process Gear it has owned for decades and acquired from Willys..this was a win win by the joining..seems GM's Muncie plant was sitting idle,..fewer Chrysler dollars spent tooling up....GM got their first real transmission...

not every maker has the support shops under thier control to make all their own parts..contracted parts are just as comon today as in the past...'world class' parts

in the old days just one example was the OD..

They were taken over by a Canadia company about 5 or 6 years ago called Magna Powertrain. The writing was on the wall the new owners tried to keep it running. It at one time employed close to 3500 people working three shifts, in the hay day of the SUV binge, but when that bubble burst, it was only a matter of time.

My grandfather worked there when it was still New Process Gear, the NEW PROCESS refered to the tanning process that allowed laminated layers of leather to become stable enough for powertrain gears on electric street cars. they also made leather boats canoes and leather dash boards and mudgaurds for carrages.