IBeam front end and bolt pattern question?

I have a one ton that i'm going to be getting rid of the rear dually set up and swapping axles. I want to lower the whole truck and found someone that can drop the ibeam for me and I was wondering if the front Ibeam is the same on all of these trucks 1/2 ton 1 ton. Also is the bolt pattern the same as the jeep axles people are swapping into the rears or can I swap out the front hubs to match the jeep bolt pattern? Hope this made sense. Thanks guys!!!!!

Scott

drum size should be different as well. I'm running my original 4.3 one ton rear end and if you EVER want to go above 45mph, swap it out.

EDIT, I had the gear ratio wrong, it's 4.3

Edited by ggdad1951

From the parts book it appears the I beam is the same for 1/2, 3/4 and 1 ton with serail number breaks, but all the spindles are different. From that, you could put 1/2 ton spindles on your axle if they matched with the serial number breaks.

Well looks like I'm going to have to find someone who has pulled there 1/2 ton Ibeam front end set up and wants to get rid of it.

Scott

it would be the easiset. If the trailer I just bought wasn't gonna be really cool in a year or so, it has a 1/2 ton front end on it for an axel...I'd be bale to help you out, but maybe someone else will be able to!

I have an aftermarket tube straight axle here with the springs. Has mustang II Calipers and rotors, and is the right bolt pattern. I wont be using it, but right now it is the only way i can roll the truck around until the clip goes on. Shipping is what is gonna kill this thing off.

I've got a couple of 3/4 ton axles, but that probably won't help if you want 4.5" bolt pattern.

Come to think of it... if you do a Rusty Hope disc brake conversion it would give you the 4.5" bolt pattern you want.

Merle

Edited by Merle Coggins

Has to be a 1/2 ton front axle to do the front disc conversion. I got caught with that when I ordered the kit for my 1 ton, but it also gives you way more rim options. Your front fenders however are going to show a pile of wheel now as aren't they a lot shorter then the 1/2 to 1 ton

So my 1 tone front won't accept the Rusty Hope Disc brake conversion from what your saying.

Dave72dt wrote this "From the parts book it appears the I beam is the same for 1/2, 3/4 and 1 ton with serail number breaks" so shouldn't that mean it would accept the rusty hope disc brake conversion?

I don't mind a ton of wheel showing as I'm going to be dropping the truck anyway.

Scott

Glad I saw this. I was thinking that I could do the Rusty hope conversion on my 3/4 ton....but it has 5-5" bolt pattern wheels which have been powder coated and have new rubber on them.

I think this may be an issue doing a Cherokee rear axle swap as well.

Nothing ever seems to be straightforward on this old truck.

Jeff

So my 1 tone front won't accept the Rusty Hope Disc brake conversion from what your saying.

Dave72dt wrote this "From the parts book it appears the I beam is the same for 1/2, 3/4 and 1 ton with serail number breaks" so shouldn't that mean it would accept the rusty hope disc brake conversion?

I don't mind a ton of wheel showing as I'm going to be dropping the truck anyway.

Scott

No. That means you can use your axle but have to use 1/2 ton spindles on it. The 3/4 ton and 1 ton spindles won't accept the Rustyhope conversion.

There are serial number breaks within the models and the 1/2, 3/4, 1 ton spindles are specific within the same serial numbers. Means you can't put a B1D axle together with a B4B spindle but you could put a B4D axle together with a B4B spindle.

Edited by Dave72dt

I guess now I'm going to look for B1D (or wait D stands for 1 ton so do I need B1B) 1/2 ton spindles to install in my axle and then do the rusty brake conversion. If anybody has these spindles let me know thanks for your time guys!!! Once again this forum Is so good for us that are starting out on these trucks and I thank you all for your wealth of information you guys are willing to share!!!

Scott

Edited by X53Gunner

Info Charlie from Rusty hope has sent me, as it might help others.............

My kits are a bolt-on for the ½ and ¾ tons. Some 1 tons use the same spindle as the ¾ ton which makes it easy. Some do not, which makes it less easy. If you measure the od of the spindle where the bearings ride and it is 1.375 inner and .75 outer your spindle is the same as a ¾ ton. You can bolt my kit onto the spindle and you are done. IF it is larger you can either replace them with ¾ tone spindles or machine them down to the dimensions of the ¾ ton spindle.

Info Charlie from Rusty hope has sent me, as it might help others.............

My kits are a bolt-on for the ½ and ¾ tons. Some 1 tons use the same spindle as the ¾ ton which makes it easy. Some do not, which makes it less easy. If you measure the od of the spindle where the bearings ride and it is 1.375 inner and .75 outer your spindle is the same as a ¾ ton. You can bolt my kit onto the spindle and you are done. IF it is larger you can either replace them with ¾ tone spindles or machine them down to the dimensions of the ¾ ton spindle.

Info from the man himself. I knew they worked on the 1/2 tons but didn't know about the 3/4s, only going by what thew parts book indicate, so it looks like you need to get the calipers out and start measuring.

Another note on the Axle/spindle and king pin diameters. The up to serial #'s note in the parts books means that the early trucks-up to... means a smaller diameter king pin is used than the later (after serial#) models for 1/2 -1 ton Dodge trucks. So early truck I-beams have a smaller king pin hole of .795" for 1/2, 3/4 and 1 ton trucks. Same for the spindles.

Later #'s use .872" diameter King pins. As stated above you also have to watch and know the inner and outer spindle wheel bearing diameters when swapping or changing out these front I-beam and spindles on our old Pilot House trucks.

Bob

So no front disc conversion with a 5-5" wheel pattern?

I was really hoping that this conversion would be straight up. I was planning on doing a Cherokee rear axle swap on my 3/4 ton as well. Now I need to rethink this too. I am really not keen on using wheel adapters front and rear assuming they would actually fit properly. What's a boy to do?

Jeff

Yes, the conversion to disc brakes works fine on 3/4 ton trucks. But the rotor specified in Rusty Hope's kit has a 4-1/2" bolt pattern. So if you want to continue to use your stock wheels you have to use an adapter to get back to 5" pattern, like I have. I did some research on possible rotors with 5" pattern, but they are all larger diameter and wouldn't work with the caliper brackets as they are. I haven't given up on it. I still do research from time to time.

As for a rear axle swap, look at the Grand Cherokee's around the 2000 model year. They should be 5 x 5" pattern and will likely be disc brake.

Merle