Speedo cable

ggdad1951

some questions:

1. How do you tighten the speedo cable on the tranny? I can barely get my fingers in there! How tight does it need to be?

2. Proper routing of the speedo cable. Are there any clips to hold it in place along it's route? Where does it route around the engine?

3. How tight can the cable be looped?

ANY pictures would be great!

Edited by ggdad1951

As I recall I got mine as tight as I could with my fingers and some needle nose pliers. I also remember there being a clip somewhere along the side of the trans top cover, then it comes up on top of the bell housing then up through a notch in the floor at the front of the trans cover plate. Then there was a clip with a push fastener that attached it to the firewall as it went up towards the speedo. Sorry no pics handy.

Merle

As I recall I got mine as tight as I could with my fingers and some needle nose pliers. I also remember there being a clip somewhere along the side of the trans top cover, then it comes up on top of the bell housing then up through a notch in the floor at the front of the trans cover plate. Then there was a clip with a push fastener that attached it to the firewall as it went up towards the speedo. Sorry no pics handy.

Merle

ok, doesn't go thru the loom where the throttle and choke cables live?

as noted by merle, cable comes up through the footboard, at the firewall, to the right of the accelerator, more or less in the center. mine had (or has) a clip that attaches to the cardboard firewall sound panel. truthfully, i used a spare jeep cj5 cable that i had in the garage (works fine).

i finger-tightened it to the tranny, and then used channel locks to just slightly tighten it more (less than 1/8 turn).

wally

ok, cool, I think I know of the notch now, a half moon cutout it seems. Does one need to lube a new cable at all?

That would be a very good idea. Also lube your speedo. There's a long stem that screws into the back of the speedo right where the cable attaches. Remove the stem and soak the wick inside with light oil (like 3-in-1 oil) and add a drop or two down into the hole before you screw it back in.

Merle

That would be a very good idea. Also lube your speedo. There's a long stem that screws into the back of the speedo right where the cable attaches. Remove the stem and soak the wick inside with light oil (like 3-in-1 oil) and add a drop or two down into the hole before you screw it back in.

Merle

3 in 1 oil for the cable as well?

• 4 years later...
  • 5 years later...