Home built shifter 3spd

Frank Elder

the first one posted is truly a pre 57 Chrysler setup..the others..just a refit of the column to the floor for standard pattern tranny...no need for that today with the cheap after market shifters out there by the dozens..but if you hankering to "roll your own" good instructions..coffee break about over...!

On these old Mopar three speeds is one shift arm R and 1st and the other

2nd and 3rd? Which arm is which and what gear is the forward position on the arm?:

Nope. One arm does all of the actual shifting, and the other selects whether the first is shifting R-1 or 2-3. That's why it is difficult to make up a floor shift for these things.

Marty

Here are photos of the shifter on my 54 241 Hemi motor/trans.

Never went further than bench testing, but seems to work fine.

That is nice looking, but I really don't see how it would work. Looks like a standard shifter that would move the arms separately:confused: Can you show other pictures that show it better?

post-2158-13585366152818_thumb.jpg

Falconvan, the way these trans are set up they have the 3 on the tree shifter, when pulled towards you in the car, that action brings the trans rear arm up and makes the trans "select" the R/1st range...it's a spring loaded arm so in the rest position it's in 2nd/3rd range. Swing the shifter up or down "in that forward range" and you'll be going between R/1st via the other arm{front one which moves the gears}.....let the shifter go towards the dash and your in the 2nd/3rd range again...the most common set used while driving. You really only need 1st when at a dead stop - she's got alot of torque and can roll thru a stop sign in 2nd in a straight up clutch car and even easier in a later model fluid drive car!

If a person would PM that guy thru the HAMB, he might be willing to send details and maybe a picture..........

Hi, I am the guy that was PMed over at the HAMB. I just joined this forum over the weekend and now able to post. So I hear some of you would be interested in my shifter if I made some or at least getting some drawings out. Well I have drawings and because of the interest I am taking them to one of the shops I use to get pricing on making some shifters. I should have a price for a kit that would have instruction by the end of next week. If it looks like it would be to expensive to make them or if only one or two people want them I will share the drawing. I'll try and get a few more pictures for you to look at too in a couple of days. Also i'll try to answer any questions.

The transmission that the shifter is mounted to is a 1955 and is going behind a 241 Hemi in a 33 Ply couple.

It looks like a well thought-out setup with some first class heavy duty parts. The only problem I have with it is that it doesn't look like it would work with an R-10 overdrive installed.

Maybe that could become the second iteration?

Marty

Hi, I am the guy that was PMed over at the HAMB. I just joined this forum over the weekend and now able to post. So I hear some of you would be interested in my shifter if I made some or at least getting some drawings out. Well I have drawings and because of the interest I am taking them to one of the shops I use to get pricing on making some shifters. I should have a price for a kit that would have instruction by the end of next week. If it looks like it would be to expensive to make them or if only one or two people want them I will share the drawing. I'll try and get a few more pictures for you to look at too in a couple of days. Also i'll try to answer any questions.

The transmission that the shifter is mounted to is a 1955 and is going behind a 241 Hemi in a 33 Ply couple.

Welcome aboard...glad I Pm'd ya{well, probably wan't the only guy maybe}

-MJunkie

;)

I took a few more pictures for everyone to look at. As to the questions about the O-drive and hand brake. I don't see any way to make it work with the R-10. To much stuff in the way. Not sure about the hand brake. The car I built it for has rear axle parking brakes. Does anyone have pictures of a hand brake bolted to the trans? Then maybe I can tell if it would work with the hand brake.

post-8502-13585366247471_thumb.jpg

post-8502-13585366274362_thumb.jpg

post-8502-13585366275091_thumb.jpg

post-8502-13585366275698_thumb.jpg

post-8502-13585366276385_thumb.jpg

What angles did you need - I have the floorboard out so it shouldn't be a problem to snap a few!

If you could post some pictures that would be great. It would be nice to have one straight down, one from the side (drivers), one from the bottom, and one from the rear.

On my shifter the main bracket that fastens to the two mounting bosses on the trans have spacers that are about 7/8" long. So I want to see what the brake mount looks like and how it actually mounts.

Thanks

Hope this helps, need any more just yell!

Yell!:D, Those pictures tell a lot. Thanks for taking them and so fast. It looks like the spacers I use where the main bracket mounts to the brake mounting bosses would only have to be shorter by 1/8 of an inch or so to work. So if all of the brake assemblies are built like this one the shifter should bolt on just fine and still use the hand brake. I need one or two more pictures though. I want to see if the brake cable would interfere with the shifter. It looks like the cable that activates the brake runs from the brake forward at an angle towards the drivers side. This would be good. I need a picture from the top that shows how far the cable is from the transmission about where the speedometer cable and the backup switch are on the transmission.

Thanks in advance for more pictures.

I took the drawings to one of the shops I use so I should have a price figured out in a week or two.

Hollar back...here's two more that should do the trick for you-

brake002-1.jpg

brake001-1.jpg

Looks like it shouldn't be a problem....

Edit- late to realize the depth of field will possibly be misleading, so I took a tape measurer and found that from the top bolt shown- E brake attachment/proposed shifter attachment- to the E brake rod is actually 4" even...just for anyone's reference.

Edited by 40P10touring sedan

Hey, that reminds me CV, just for reference sake on my end, what is the shifter's center line for the actual hand shift rod so I can mentally place the location of where it would sit on my floorboard...let's say referenced from that E brake bolt. I'd like to see if it'll work with the oem bench or not... or just where it would sit in general. Thanks-

Hey, that reminds me CV, just for reference sake on my end, what is the shifter's center line for the actual hand shift rod so I can mentally place the location of where it would sit on my floorboard...let's say referenced from that E brake bolt. I'd like to see if it'll work with the oem bench or not... or just where it would sit in general. Thanks-

The center of the shift lever would be 1 1/2" forward and 1 1/2" to the drivers side from the front E-brake mounting boss.