ggdad1951 truck project montage: FEF!

ggdad1951

• 1 month later...

X2 as above, But the chrome sure is dirty!

X2 as above, But the chrome sure is dirty!

yah...it is, not rechromed....but for now it's good enough. Probably a winter restore project. Good news will be I'll have an extra for someone else, since I garnered 3 of the ash trays and would restore them all at once.

BTW, I used the method described below in the below link to make my tailgate work like a dream! I just welded my bolts in a bit more from the outside edge and no one is the wiser w/o me pointing it out.

SUCH A GREAT IDEA! THANKS!

http://dodgepilothouseclub.org/know/bed/tailgate_hinges.htm

• 3 weeks later...

new data plate stamped and installed, super easy, if you want yours done let me know, we can work a deal since I have the stamp set.

20121030_170113.jpg

• Like 1

Isn't the data plate somewhat like a permanent record? When you make a new one, do you have to keep the original plate to back up the new plate?

I have my original, and have no plans to discard it. I'd only restamp originals.

It might not be a bad idea to put the original under the new one.

I'm not worried about it. The repop plates are slightly different in size as well. If asked to produce it I can anytime.

I'd like to get a new plate as mine is wasted...but the number doesn't match the frame.

I wonder if the DMV would allow the VIN to be changed to the "correct" VIN if you show them the frame stamping?

just get a repop plate, restamp it and not worry about it as you have the original. In all honesty, when is it going to really be an issue having a repop, stamped as the original on your truck? You'd be able to produce the original easily.

one of the reasons the "newer" vin-plates are more-securely attached to the vehicle. having it in your possession isn't the point, as it (the plate) is supposed to be on the vehicle.

i realize yours goes to your truck, but what's to prevent someone from getting the plate from a junk, and claiming it goes to their truck with the "new" plate?

one of the reasons the "newer" vin-plates are more-securely attached to the vehicle. having it in your possession isn't the point, as it (the plate) is supposed to be on the vehicle.

i realize yours goes to your truck, but what's to prevent someone from getting the plate from a junk, and claiming it goes to their truck with the "new" plate?

I see them (old ones) for sale all the time on Epay. So yes, I see that point.

I still look at it as when does it REALLY matter? Accident? Traffic ticket? Any of the reasons I can think of there is no reason you'd not be able to bring the original and show it as proof of ownership/providence. My original, while in "decent" shape, by no means looks good enough on a restoration project. Lots of oxidation going on on it.

The repop VIN plate is nice but the mounting screw head size seems a bit too big?

The repop VIN plate is nice but the mounting screw head size seems a bit too big?

yah, it's one size up a #8 instead of a #6...I had #8's on hand...now you know... :(

I won't remember it or tell anyone either!;)

Bob

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...