fuel pump diaphragm question

toddbracik

Please some one who knows source for the fuel pump diaphragm & also for carburetor acceleration pump diaphragm - Let us know.

I will buy spare ones just in case. Three reasons:

1) In Europe you cannot get these anywhere

2) Properly stored they do not deteriorate on self

3) Modern fuels are bad for the diaphragms, they slowly get brittle.

Also several month periods unused for every winter are bad: In some case fuel evaporates away leaving diaphragm dry, which is not good either.

Antique Auto Parts Cellar in Massachusetts. They sell rebuild kits. The rubber they use is resistant to ethanol (or whatever it is that causes rubber to deteriorate). I forget now how much they cost but it's much cheaper than buying a new one and the rebuild is not that difficult. I think they are listed in the vendors section of this site. I think they also go by Then and Now Auto Parts. Make sure you have your old pump handy when you call them because they will want to know model and number.

todd, i rebuilt my fuel pump about 3 years ago using a kit from antique auto parts cellar and the pump is still working good. cost was around $25 plus shipping if my memory is correct. the only problem i encountered was that there are 2 one way valves in there. one of them was easy to replace but i could not get to the second one so i left that one in. you might ask about those if you call them. capt den

Todd,

If the source below does not work: The rebuild kit for my '48 B1B fuel pump cost $48 plus $6 shipping and came from Hal Houghton at Classic Preservation Coalition. He is located around Syracuse or Albany, as I recall. Hal is very pleasant, helpful and promptly responds to email. Plus, he offered to ship the kit followed by payment later if it did not fit.

Email: "Harold A. Houghton" <houghton@classicpreservation.com>

http://www.classicpreservation.com

BTW: The only items not included in his fuel pump rebuild kit were two small matched springs (one of mine was broken) that I ended up getting at the local hardware store.

Jeff Leavenworth

Mark,

It is worth the ride to go to Then and Now Auto parts in Weymouth. They are in a little strip mall, on route 53 I think. Their store is like a museum of old and new auto parts. It looks like they bought out old parts stores as they closed. They have all kinds of stuff hanging on the walls and on shelves. I just wandered around the store for 10 minutes before going to the counter to get a rebuild kit for my fuel pump. Nice folks, lots of stuff in a small store.

Dave

Joe nailed it. I've done both pumps for my 2 vehicles and Dads used them for a bunch more.

So Ed have you or your Dad had any leaks with the rebuilt pumps? Mine works fine but leaks and after a drive the garage has a strong gasoline odor. The biggest problem is that in my 50 the wheel wells are so close to the pump that it is very difficult to get it out.

So Ed have you or your Dad had any leaks with the rebuilt pumps? Mine works fine but leaks and after a drive the garage has a strong gasoline odor. The biggest problem is that in my 50 the wheel wells are so close to the pump that it is very difficult to get it out.

Nope no leaks. And a bunch of other cars in the tall pines region are running pumps Dad rebuilt.

Thanks Joe, I will take a picture of the round valves to make sure I get it right. Oh, the price for the rebuild kit from Then and Now Automotive was 45.50 including shipping. I think it was worth the price though because they also sent 5 or so pages copied out of a manual on fuel pumps.

• 2 months later...