Pilot House Tractor Trailer

I am a new member from over on the 39-47 side of the web,,,, I just bought a great Pilot House tractor & trailer, I plan on keeping the trailer and pulling it with my 1941 Dodge COE 2 ton (WMHA 45), the tractor is going to be surplus,,,,

I haven't got the titles yet, the guy is searching for them so I don't know the exact years yet, I sot lots of pics that are attached at the picasa link at the end of this message,,,, The door jam data is as follows, serial # 85601200, model B1KA-152, 17,000 97.5HP @ 3200 rpm,,,,, the wheel base is 140", it's a 25" motor with a spitfire head (I may keep that for my truck?) 7.50 20 front, 850 20 rear, the motor turns over by hand and appears to be totally complete,,,,

I would appreciate knowing the year, the tonnage and anything else about this truck,,,, I am keeping the trailer, vacuum brakes and all,,,, thanks in advance for your reply,,, David Webb, Pomeroy, WA 1941 WHMA 45,,,,

https://picasaweb.google.com/bajmahal/Mayflowervan?authkey=Gv1sRgCLLv58mWvZuDbA&feat=directlink

What a cool find! The truck looks like my '50 with it's painted grill bars & stainless top bar. Inside looks identical too. The metal trim & accents on the trailer are awesome. I can't wait to see what you do with this. For some reason it makes me think of an old tyme circus truck. I think that's how you should paint it.:D

Bryan

WOW, what a fantastic setup. I really hope you'll preserve the truck and trailer together. I've yet to see a real moving van until now. I would look so great restored together.

Having said that I can tell you that a B1 was made in either 1948 or 49. The KA is a 2 1/2 ton model with dual rear axle.

http://dodgepilothouseclub.org/know/vin/model.htm

A brochure for your model is on the DPETCA site:

http://dodgepilothouseclub.org/know/1949_J_K/imgcol/index.htm

The serial number indicates it was made in 1948.

That's a rather daunting project you've aquired! It's a 48-49 based on info provided. Trailer could be several years newer or older. Fruehauf may be able to narrow it down. That munckin mobile looks like something that should go with it.

Welcome to the forum. There's several members on here that have bigger trucks that will be helpful with information.

Cool lookin' rig. The only other Pilot-House tractor/trailer I've seen is ToddB's. I wish I had taken some pictures of it when I saw it.

Just think... you could restore that trailer, paint your '41 COE tractor to match, and go into the "Vintage Furniture Moving" business. :D

Welcome to our little pond.

Merle

Having said that I can tell you that a B1 was made in either 1948 or 49. The KA is a 2 1/2 ton model with dual rear axle.

i was under the impression that the "A" in KA indicated a "two-speed" rear axle, rather than a dual rear axle. the truck clearly had the provision for a two-speed, as the vacuum shift knob is clearly visible on the transmission shift tower.

Thanks to all that have chimed in on this, you have provided some very valuable info,,, I agree that they should be left together but the fact that the trailer is a 1941 series means that it was paired up to some other rig before this pilot house,,,, I think it will be a great combination for my 1941 COE but I will leave all options open until I have them both home and have a chance to play with them awhile,,,, thanks again, David

i was under the impression that the "A" in KA indicated a "two-speed" rear axle, rather than a dual rear axle. the truck clearly had the provision for a two-speed, as the vacuum shift knob is clearly visible on the transmission shift tower.

A means 2 speed rear axle. X means twin screw or tandem axle.

Yep - 2 speed. I said it wrong. Meant to say dual speed.

Also, the spitfire head, was that an item that would have originally been on this trucks motor or was that added????? thanks, David Webb

www.losthighway.net

I believe the Spitfire head was a Chrysler (car only) head but I may be incorrect. The only thing special about it is the raised Spitfire logo.

I've got one of those trailers parked on the edge of one of my fields. Come get it, you can have it. Has been parked since the second World War, was a clandestine card room. Local moonshiner ran the games. I think it is a 1938.

That way you can have a pair of tractor trailers from the era.

Beautiful find. Pomeroy huh, I've been all over that area, can't believe I didn't see it...

WOW, what a fantastic setup. I really hope you'll preserve the truck and trailer together. I've yet to see a real moving van until now. I would look so great restored together.

http://dodgepilothouseclub.org/know/vin/model.htm

A brochure for your model is on the DPETCA site:

http://dodgepilothouseclub.org/know/1949_J_K/imgcol/index.htm

The serial number indicates it was made in 1948.

Bob, thought the VX was the only dual axle? You must have meant dual wheel?

George

Reg, I see you have got chrome plates for your door handles?.or is it painted on? BTW a really nice looking truck!

Thanks.....the door guards are stainless. Want a set ? I have some spares. PM me if interested.