OT Robin - the BIG day is arriving....any reports?

BobT-47P15

Just watched the ceremony on TV with my wife and son.

Quite moving pageantry, whatever your political views regarding the Royal family.

There'll be a flypast in about 30 minutes.

We'll see that on TV then step outside to watch the planes go over our house.

RAF Tornados and the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight - A Spitfire, Hurricane and Lancaster Bomber - I always like to see those.

Just watched the ceremony on TV with my wife and son.

Quite moving pageantry, whatever your political views regarding the Royal family.

There'll be a flypast in about 30 minutes.

We'll see that on TV then step outside to watch the planes go over our house.

RAF Tornados and the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight - A Spitfire, Hurricane and Lancaster Bomber - I always like to see those.

Planes are very fitting as Prince William's great-grandfather was king during WWII, and Prince William is an RAF officer.

I've been praying for years that Queen Elizabeth chooses to abdicate and name Prince William her successor. I'm not even sure if that is possible, but, IMHO, the UK has benefitted greatly from QEII's extended reign. I think the UK could benefit from an other young handsome royal couple.

I was up late putting together some shelves, and got up at 5:00 AM for work. Royal wedding not part of my day's plans either. I have an amused curiousity in the whole thing, and that is about it.

IMHO, Kate Middleton more of a looker than Diana Spencer, but, again, that is just my opinion.

Pomp and circumstance Frankie..you got admit the affair was a large scale event heard around the world..to pull this off was quite an undertaking for sure...I just got a picture of it sent to me from my daughter..she somehow managed a good observation point..

they seem to be having a great time in England, the grandkids are blending in quite well and having fun also..miss them tykes..

post-7-13585360937643_thumb.jpg

post-7-13585360937855_thumb.jpg

Edited by Tim Adams
add pics

That all changed when the US got in to bed w/ the UK in 1917 when the US entered the Great War (WWI). We've been a de facto British Commonwealth ever since.

The average Canadian does not concern itself with the British Monarchy, or the affairs of British Parliament, God knows we have enough of our own agendas.

We are a British Common Wealth country, but are very much are own people, with more similarites by far to the USA, but with British influence mixed in.

I have no idea why the "fascination", with the Royal Family, but here is, and most likely will be for ever.

I waould like to see "Dirty Harry" as king, him or his Uncle Randy Andy, bring some flavor to the Monarchy.....

The average Canadian does not concern itself with the British Monarchy, or the affairs of British Parliament, God knows we have enough of our own agendas.

We are a British Common Wealth country, but are very much are own people, with more similarites by far to the USA, but with British influence mixed in.

I have no idea why the "fascination", with the Royal Family, but here is, and most likely will be for ever.

I waould like to see "Dirty Harry" as king, him or his Uncle Randy Andy, bring some flavor to the Monarchy.....

I like the fact we are part of the Commonwealth and the Queen, when in Canada, is the Queen of Canada, not the Queen of Britain visiting Canada. Our Governor-General represents her when she is not here. Since 1867 we have been independent of Britain and have our own parliament, constitututional monarchy, unique traits, problems, and at least 1/4 of our population has French as their mother tongue. We are North American, but not American.

Canada has just as much British influence as American and we have blended the two cultures to be our own unique country. Also, we were a part of France long before the British conquest in 1759. We have actually been a monarchy for over 500 years.

Edited by RobertKB

I like the fact we are part of the Commonwealth and the Queen, when in Canada, is the Queen of Canada, not the Queen of Britain visiting Canada. Our Governor-General represents her when she is not here. Since 1867 we have been independent of Britain and have our own parliament, constitututional monarchy, unique traits, problems, and at least 1/4 of our population has French as their mother tongue. We are North American, but not American.

Canada has just as much British influence as American and we have blended the two cultures to be our own unique country. Also, we were a part of France long before the British conquest in 1759. We have actually been a monarchy for over 500 years.

Robert- Seems Canada is more to the British side according to your firearm laws. :eek:

I wasn't into it, but saw bits and pieces after the fact. One nice thing to see was that many people all gathered in public with no protest signs about some stupid thing! The "civility" of it all was refreshing.

I have no thoughts one way or the other, our dialect in Canada is much closer to certain northern and the great lakes region US dialects.

I think a lot of the younger generations do not associate Canada with the UK or the British Monarchy to much extent anymore.

My kids do not even say zed for the letter z anymore they use zee, not sure how it came about.

I personally do not waste much time thinking of the Royal Family, and really feel no part of the UK, but am not anti-UK in anyway.

Canada should have become an Independent Republic years ago, instead of a British Commonwealth Nation.

Just recently we deported a Man, who was in our facility, he was born in the UK, but lived all his life here. The fact he was born in England did not save him from the Immigration service, and he was sent to England, because of his criminal history here in Canada...

Edited by Rockwood

Robert- Seems Canada is more to the British side according to your firearm laws. :eek:

The current Government, under Prime Minister Steven Harper, tired to abolish the National Long Gun registry, and because they are a minority government, they did not quite have enough power in numbers to quash this ridiculous expensive bill, that has cost Canadian Tax Payers, billions, which could have been better used in Law Enforcement.

The sad fact is this long gun law does diddly squat to stop firearm crimes and violence in this country, because criminals, do not register or buy legal firearms, and do not use long guns for this purpose for the most part.

Most homicides in Canada are from knife stabbings, may be time to register all the cooking knives too...

Edited by Rockwood

The current Government, under Prime Minister Steven Harper, tired to abolish the National Long Gun registry, and because they are a minority government, they did not quite have enough power in numbers to quash this ridiculous expensive bill, that has cost Canadian Tax Payers, billions, which could have been better used in Law Enforcement.

The sad fact is this long gun law does diddly squat to stop firearm crimes and violence in this country, because criminals, do not register or buy legal firearms, and do not use long guns for this purpose for the most part.

Most homicides in Canada are from knife stabbings, may be time to register all the cooking knives too...

Seems that both sides of the border have more than a few questionable laws. (Sorry to the OP, did not try to highjack the original intent of the post.)

Thanks BobT for the AOk. :D

Rockwood- Like all laws, once made it can take two life times to remove. The 3rd generation by then hasn't got a clue what it was all about and wondered why it was put on the books anyway.

My .02c.

Case in point is the alcohol laws here in the 1930's. Didn't do a damn thing exept make people go underground and make their own. And allowed the crime gangs to get rich. All that money could have gone to taxs to help an economy that was in a depression.