cool tool boxes

Holy Crap Aero, That's the same tool box I have my tavel set in. Only trouble is it started as mine. But then again I might be older than your father............

Although I do not have STP stickers, rather I have

You better check to see if you still have it :P

I'm thinking of making one that has an old parts/dealership feel. A box that might have been used in the 30's or 40's for parts etc. with some old advertising or something. I will post some pics when I get going. I do like the contents of Don's box I suppose that is really alll anyone needs today.

Yup....I had to use those two items (card & phone) last weekend 60 miles from home. Before we left I was kidding with my wife and said. " Every time I bring a tool kit nothing happens. This time I'm not going to bother with one." and she said " Oh great....you've cursed our trip" We both had a little chuckle and headed out. :mad:

4thannualBBQ1.jpg

I'm going on a 3 hour run this friday and have never went further then 1 hour. I'm a little nervous . You start thinking about all the stuff that could go wrong and every sound puts you on edge. But is sure is fun to drive them.

curious, I keep on hearing about things breaking down...once you've rebuilt aren't these trucks pretty rock solid?

Once they are rebuilt they are quite reliable. I've put many miles on both car and truck with very few issues. I did have to come home from our honeymoon praying that whatever my noise was that it didn't fail on me. Turned out my waterpump was history.

curious, I keep on hearing about things breaking down...once you've rebuilt aren't these trucks pretty rock solid?

Mine has been. The only time it tried to strand me was when the pivot pin on my "new" fuel pump (from Andy Bernbaum) walked out and it stopped pumping. Like with Reg a good Samaritan towed me out of traffic and into a nearby parking lot. He then helped me to confirm the failure. Since I had rebuilt my "original" pump with a kit from Antique Auto Parts Cellar, and had it under the seat, I was back on the road in no time. I always carry a small tool kit in my vehicles. I guess it's the mechanic in me, I just can't travel without tools.

Merle

Yes they are dependable and reliable . But first you have to go through EVERYTHING . After you have been through everything you start off with short trips and work your way up to longer trips . When you have done all of that , you will have the ability to do roadside repairs if necessary . Carry a spare fuel pump and tune up parts and a few tools . Then you are ready to go without worries .

When I was just a kid learning to drive on the farm with our Model A doodle bug my father told me to always have a pair of pliers and a screwdriver with me. Just bought a new Dodge Caliber, and that already has stuff hidden in it. I usually carry a roll of electrical tape, and a roll of mechanic's wire and a gallon of gas in an under the bed toolbox (made out of an old steel filing cabinet) on my 1 ton-that stuff got me home more than once. There's a certain amount of satisfaction feeling you can tackle the most likely stuff to fail on the road. My only time that I didn't make it back on my own was due to a NAPA fuel pump failing. Mike

post-62-1358536057187_thumb.jpg

Edited by MBFowler

Unless you do a total frame off nuts & bolts restoration, there's going to be something that's 50 years old on your truck just waiting to give way.

then, HOPEFULLY, I'll be ok doing exactally that!

In my 46 Plymouth we have made trips from the middle of NY to Vermont, Virginia, North Carlolina, Detroit, and Maryland. Over the couse of those miles tavelled, two things have failed;

A) the fan belt

B) the fuse on the headlight switch.

I do carry points, condensor, dist cap and rotor, and extra belt, an extra head gasket, and a box of basic hand tools. And a few extra 6 V light bulbs, a couple main fuses, roll of duct tape and some mechanics wire.

I have used the mechanics wire and the duct tape to assist others.

I have used the mechanics wire and the duct tape to assist others.

Was it you or Bob V that gave me a fuse for my headlight switch in detroit :)

Hank the older cars and trucks had fuses. Both my 46 pickup and 48 plymouth car would normally have a fuse on the back of the headlight switch. However my 46 pickup has a 50 plymouth headlight switch which has a breaker.

Thanks Ed. My circuit breaker kept tripping and my friend Al and his friend Allan talked about it and came up with the solution to use two (I had an extra) of the breakers (wired in parallel) to solve the problem. It worked and have never had my headlights lights go out when I either stepped on the brake or signaled for a turn since.

Thanks,

Hank :)

Ok guys, I have been working on the ultimate Dodge Tool box for my WC. OK it is not a pilot house (but still job-rated). You guys are awesome and I have obtained a bunch of information from this site for my flathead. I feel like I'm in the club. I will show pics next week when i hope to have time to finish it. a lid on each side with a flip down front for easy access. dodge logos on the top and front. pics to come.