inside mirrors

The trucks with a rearview mirror on the center post that I have seen have to be stock in my opinion. Bob can probably share some photos of a number of his six trucks with rearview mirrors. The mirror and associated trim have to be stock or at the minimum dealer installed. I don't believe that Don Bunn's book has a rearview mirror options listed but if you look closely at the pics in his book you can see that it exists.

The mirrors are a little above the center on the center post and the base of the mirror is integrated into the trim. Like any option it is much more common place not to have it, than to have it.

KJ

Edited by KJ's Dodge
Corrected my error

Here is a not so good pic of a factory inside rear view mirror on one of my trucks. I will get some better pics later in the week. The mirror is mounted on a 1 piece special stamped division bar to accept the mirror stem and thin backside nut. I have never seen it listed as an Std or optional mirror in the Dodge truck data books or any truck special equipment catalogs either. They are quite rare to say the least. I think I saw 1 or 2 inside mirrors in Don Bunn's reprint book that I just got last week.

Bob

Here is a not so good pic of a factory inside rear view mirror on one of my trucks. I will get some better pics later in the week. The mirror is mounted on a 1 piece special stamped division bar to accept the mirror stem and thin backside nut. I have never seen it listed as an Std or optional mirror in the Dodge truck data books or any truck special equipment catalogs either. They are quite rare to say the least. I think I saw 1 or 2 inside mirrors in Don Bunn's reprint book that I just got last week.

Bob

If you took some good closeup pictures with a measuring device and or sketched up the thing I might be able to have some made (at least the mounting aspects) Finding a close mirror to mount would be the next step.

I know I'm interested in having something like that if it was stock (oroptinal) in the '51's.

That mirror looks quite similar to the 46-48 car mirror. It wouldnt surprise me one bit if mopar shared a piece like that between car and truck. I know the factory heater for my 46 pickup is the same as the cheapest one available for 46-48 plymouths.

my long departed friend "Slick" (Bob Slickenmeyer) who got me started in this whole mess by shouting out his car window "Hey do you need fenders and runningboards for that thing" gave me the mirror I have and told me that it was for a car (it is oval instead of the more rectangular version that he said was correct for trucks) So maybe the mirror shown in red interior is the correct, stock one.

Hank :)

post-2934-1358535764074_thumb.jpg

Hank that looks like the next few years of car 49-52. Which is actually what I have in my 48 plymouth.

It works fine though, and I'd have to say my 5 window just doesn't have any blind spots. Although I running them, the 5-1/2" round mirrors could have used a tad more thought on Detroit's drafting board, back in the day.

Hank

Some more pics of OE inside truck mirrors . They do use P15/maybe dodge and Desoto mirrors too. Notice the stamped depression where the mirror stem goes through. Center line of mirror shaft from top of moulding is 6-1/2" down.

Bob

Edited by Dodgeb4ya

Thats a guide day/night mirror. But if you have the proper bar that mounts the mirror to the windshield you should be able to put a proper looking car mirror in there.

This is an interesting thread. I've been wanting to put a "correct" mirror in my truck and get rid of the '70 Challenger mirror I am currently using. If I understand all of this correctly the divider bar is different when a mirror is installed? You can't just drill another hole and mount a mirror into it? I see that Roberts sells repro mirrors. Can I get one of those and mount it to my original bar?

Merle

This is an interesting thread. I've been wanting to put a "correct" mirror in my truck and get rid of the '70 Challenger mirror I am currently using. If I understand all of this correctly the divider bar is different when a mirror is installed? You can't just drill another hole and mount a mirror into it? I see that Roberts sells repro mirrors. Can I get one of those and mount it to my original bar?

Merle

Thats right Merle, -the division bar is stamped for the mirror base stud and backside thin nut. One of the pictures shows a NOS standard non mirror division bar next to the bar with the mirror.

Bob

Yes, I noticed that hump in your picture, Bob. However, I don't see it in the rest of the pictures from Reg, Hank, or monkeytruck. That's why I asked if I could just drill a hole in mine and mount up a mirror.

By the way Bob, your Wig-Wag is hanging... you must be out of air. :P;)

Yes Merle, You can just drill a hole and use a thin nut on the back side to secure the arm. I did have one once where the p.o. drilled the hole too high on the divider and the mirror could not be adjusted correcty. The only person who'll know that it's not factory is Bob.;)

Yes Merle, You can just drill a hole and use a thin nut on the back side to secure the arm. I did have one once where the p.o. drilled the hole too high on the divider and the mirror could not be adjusted correcty. The only person who'll know that it's not factory is Bob.;)

and everyone on the board! :eek:

Bob,

When I was in your cab of your B4YA, your big red truck, earlier this year I could have sworn that the center trim for the mirror was two parts, a lower and an upper piece with the mirror mounted on the upper piece. If you look closely at pic three (B4YA Inside Factory mirror.JPG), you can see what looks like a seam below where the mirror mounts. So, my question is the trim in the B4YA two piece or one?

KJ

post-2693-13585357698526_thumb.jpg

Bob' date='

When I was in your cab of your B4YA, your big red truck, earlier this year I could have sworn that the center trim for the mirror was two parts, a lower and an upper piece with the mirror mounted on the upper piece. If you look closely at pic three (B4YA Inside Factory mirror.JPG), you can see what looks like a seam below where the mirror mounts. So, my question is the trim in the B4YA two piece or one?

KJ[/quote']

KJ,

I shouldn't have let you drink all 4 of those Rum and cokes! It is a one piece moulding. My camera flash isn't working so my pic in the big truck cab is lacking-I'll put a light in there to get a better picture---right now! Here are the Best pic's I can get,.....Just jokin about KJ drinkin-he's a good boy!

Bob

Thanks to all you. Really helped me a lot, if I can fined a mirror I probably will drill my post to mount it. thanks R.T. note just found a mirror on e-bay with post molding from 51 Chrysler convertible. Got it for 19.00 and shipping looks just like others you posted thanks again hope it will work

Edited by Robert Thornton

• 10 months later...

I scrolled through this post reading with great interest as I am about to install the inside factory mirror in my truck.

I was fortunate enough to come across a truck with a factory mirror installed. I found that the factory mirrors were hard to come by in the Oz trucks that I have seen, so I was more than willing to agree to the terms of the transfer of ownership of the vehicle - just in order to secure that mirror and post! I also stumbled across a factory mirror in better condition than the one that I already had, and I think that it polished up quite nicely.

My questions are: as the factory mirrors that I have are curved on one side and flat on the other, does the curve in the mirror go to the top or bottom? and... the arm attaching the mirror to the windscreen inner centre post is curved, does the curve in the arm go down or up?

Desotodav

post-7583-13585363482281_thumb.jpg

post-7583-13585363482563_thumb.jpg

post-7583-13585363482852_thumb.jpg