OK, how many "young" guys do we have on this forum??

BobT-47P15

Ya, I'm talking old school--stand on the moving hay wagon, hook the bale, stack the bale; go into the loft and stack some more-all done in 90+ degrees and high humidty. Later in life, when I felt bored and and confined sitting in an office, I would say to myself--at least I'm not bailing hay.

I grew up on a dairy farm, I know all too well of handling the bales of hay on a moving hay wagon hitched to the back of a Ford Baler, then unloading the bales and stacking them again in the haymow. Hot work for sure, that I why I went to work for the NYS prison system:):)

My Grandfather had a '37 Plymouth that I don't remember, but I do remember the '50 Plymouth he had. I remember taking the bull calves to the auction barn in the back seat with the calf in an old burlap feed bag so there wouldn't be any messes, plus I also remember going to the feed store with him to get bags of feed that would be put in both the backseat and trunk of the '50.

Didn't mind farm work, but hated milking

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was one of the young guys when I purchased my '41 Plymouth woodie 22 years ago. I knew for sure I was no longer a young guy when last year someone saw me getting out of the car and, after complimenting the car, asked me if I had had it since it was new.

Jim Yergin

Ditto. Except a 1933 Plymouth purchased 37 years ago.

Hi Y'all!

Uncle woke up... I nice thread, I am positively surprised we have this much "young" folks abroad. The old farts are making most of the noise.

I am VERY impressed learning about Beatle65 backgrounds!

Congratulations for your fine collection (so far) - With that kind of dedication and determination I am sure you will open the collection for public some day.

I just hope I could visit there and then...

It's cool, that you earn the money for collecting vintage tractors by working on the field. I could not find "detasseling" in my online dictionary - I assume by context, that it is for gathering and packing hay on the fields? I did that occasionally in early 70's with an old man nearby my fathers house. We did it in "ol' style", shoveling hay with a pitchfork up to a flat bed lorry and from there to barn. On a sunny day (as it usually is in late July) - it's hard work.

All the best to you, Beatle65!

/Unkka

Thanks a lot for the kind words Uncle-Pekka! I find this hobby a lot of fun.

Here is a website that tells you all about detasseling. This is the company that I have worked for for 7 years. I hope this info helps clarify what detasseling is. Fun job, great pay and it is what helps me to keep going in growing my collection.

http://ailesdetasseling.com/

From Nebraska, Andrew.

Andrew, Fred, Merle,

Thank you for through explanation. For obvious reasons we do not grow corn in Finland and as I learned the detasseling I also realized that is a job you only need to do for corn. (OT!) Amazing things you can learn in the car hobby!

I find this hobby a lot of fun.

...so do I.

Just think of all the aspects in this hobby:

- seeking & finding a car you desire - sometimes a detective job

- buying and getting it home (especially from over seas!)

- getting to know the origins, maker and also previous owners

- learning the yesterday's mechanics

- searching the parts - another hunt

- restoring or repairing, body work & painting

- building it to be yours: accessories, modifications, improvements

- DRIVING, DRIVING & DRIVING (me likes this part)

- events, cruise nights, pick-nick gatherings, rallies...

- all the good folks you get to know within this hobby...

the list goes on.

(at this point Unkka realizes he's gone far out off topic... but continues...)

Andrew, Where did you find the '28 Dodge of yours?

- I'd like to learn the story, but let's continue in your other thread.

(...in the end Unkka decides to discuss the topic:)

Myself, I am well over the hill, 48, but not yet old, though.

well now,

im certainly not a young guy at 50, i tell the wife im only middle age now and she rolls her eyes.

i bought my p 15 when i was 19, its the second car ive owned and of course a keeper. I consider myself lucky to have held on to it for 30 plus years now, even during the worst of times i didnt part with it ! most people i know dont get it. as in why would you want an OLD car?

but take it anywhere and it upstages just about anything.

Andrew, Fred, Merle,

Thank you for through explanation. For obvious reasons we do not grow corn in Finland and as I learned the detasseling I also realized that is a job you only need to do for corn. (OT!) Amazing things you can learn in the car hobby!

...so do I.

Just think of all the aspects in this hobby:

- seeking & finding a car you desire - sometimes a detective job

- buying and getting it home (especially from over seas!)

- getting to know the origins, maker and also previous owners

- learning the yesterday's mechanics

- searching the parts - another hunt

- restoring or repairing, body work & painting

- building it to be yours: accessories, modifications, improvements

- DRIVING, DRIVING & DRIVING (me likes this part)

- events, cruise nights, pick-nick gatherings, rallies...

- all the good folks you get to know within this hobby...

the list goes on.

(at this point Unkka realizes he's gone far out off topic... but continues...)

Andrew, Where did you find the '28 Dodge of yours?

- I'd like to learn the story, but let's continue in your other thread.

(...in the end Unkka decides to discuss the topic:)

Myself, I am well over the hill, 48, but not yet old, though.

this is sooo funny! :D

I grew up across the street from a dairy farm, 40 or so head, they grew feed corn, hay and wheat and oats. The kids were basically my age and we did a lot of thigs together including chores. Haying was still done with horses pulling a piece of equipment that conveyored the loose hay up to a wagon where it was directed by pitch fork into a full load. The wagon was then conveyed to the barn where it was lifted to the storage mow by means of a fork on monorail and a block and tackle suspended from the main beam of the barn. That was also pulled up by horse.

belgians-pulling-loader.jpg

IMG_2916.JPG

on+the+wagon+at+barn.jpg

loft+4.jpg

myers-lock-lever-hay-fork-for-barn-carrier-trolley#

As long as this thread is heading more and more towards agriculture, did anyone else around here make some extra money lighting smudge pots aka "go smudging" in Southern California back in the 50s or 60s?

It was a great was to pick up extra cash back then. Plus a legimate way to miss school the next day (at least in Redlands). Hey, we were saving the citrus crop.:D

If you were a real sucker for punishment, you could make even more money by hanging around and refilling them the next day.

Here's a link to a winkpedia description of them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smudge_pot

picked apples on weekends for pocket money. Pay was 25 cents a buschel. picked 100 buschels a day on average. Good pickers could do 125 per day.

The orchards had big wooden boxes placed around the trees. You put your name on a tag and then filled the box (25 buschel) a guy with a lift on a tractor would reposition your lug as you moved through the trees. Then take them off to the processing building when they were full.

That was before they developed dwarf trees, so you had to tote your picking bucket, and the 18 foot ladder with you as you moved among the trees.

2 weekends usually paid the car insurance bill for the year. Hard work and standing on the ladder rungs for 8 hours a day made your feet really sore till you got used to it.

I guess i'm a little late on this this thread ... i'm 41 years old still acting like i'm 18 . I've been around cars my whole life and always wanted a p-15 since dad had one when i was a little . Dad has a pic of me standing in the engine comp w/the hood off scubbing the grease/oil off the firewall etc on his p-15 when i was 8 y/o . Haven't been on here much recently due to work , but hope all are doing well .

P.s For those interested got my screen name from all my buddies calling me an ol'man after i got the p-15 ..jealous... :)

Yay!! another '53 Suburban :) Back when I bought the Surburban I would have been considered one of the "younger guys" at 31 but now I'm 65 and only "young at heart". :D

See what you guys have done to me! my sister moved in to her house in small town in northern utah about a year and a half ago and in the lot next door there were two old cars and until 6 months ago I finally went to go look at them and I almost crapped my pants when I saw one of them was a plymouth! So I talked with the neighbor and he is still trying to get his wife(they were originally her fathers) to part with it. very original car too

I'm 32... "got" my 41 plymouth wagon 8 years ago. My Great Grandfather owned it since new and gave it to my mother. My parents never did anything with it and it sat in a garage at my grandparents since 1974. I only knew of its existance and had no idea of the condition when I had it towed down from up north. When it finally arrived, it was a bit rough:

Dscn0719.jpg

It still had 1974 Florida tags on it when it came back to Florida.

DSCN2263.jpg

After 8 years of fixing it up, replacing nearly everything... its now a presentable cruiser....

2010-07-27202535.jpg

I had to interject. I'm 51! I kick, I stretch and I kick:D My family never had plymouths, Chryslars but we did have a Dodge That was givin to the kids to get to school on time(always missed the bus) I was 40 when I got my 1940 Plymouthafter the Studebaker(41) I wanted another antique. In the beginning if it did not go 100 I did not want it.

After a couple of years and speeding tickets that changed. I met some older guy's that had a club and they loved antiques so I built a couple. I don't see how I did without them now. This forum The best as the shirt says ( old guy's rule) Oh yeah, I lived on a farm, I picked corn, dug potatoes, pulled turnups. Feed chickens all this after living in New York the first half of my life. I loved every moment:) I liked walking behind the plow!