Overdrive Question - No, it hasn't been asked...I searched...

fedoragent

Thanks Bob. Only reason I know is I almost bought one off ebay. Apparently starting in 57 they went away with the cool spring loaded neutral position and went to the more conventional pull for N and 1 and push for 2 and 3.

It will work but only after you replace the input shaft. They are different for the fluid drive transmissions. See the necessary information on the webpage blueskies manages.

Don,

I thought about sending it over to George Asche to restore, who I spoke to today. He has one, but I've found one closer and will be picking it up this weekend. Oh, and btw, about the long conversation...you were right. LOOOOONG.

I'll look at the website that Blueskies has.

Thanks,

FG.

Of course it is going to need to be rebuilt. And converted for use with my car. However, it will be worth it in the end...now if I can just find someone in Southern California to rebuild and convert it. It came out of the 54 Dodge this gent had.

newOverdrive.jpg

Does anyone know of anyone? I had that long talk with George Asche. However I don't know how much he'd charge for a rebuild and PA is a LOOOONG way away from Los Angeles. I don't know any gearheads or hot rod shops that would do this down here. I only know the VW ones. :)

FG.

Of course it is going to need to be rebuilt. And converted for use with my car. However, it will be worth it in the end...now if I can just find someone in Southern California to rebuild and convert it. ...

FG.

If I recall correctly, Pete (blueskies) rebuilt his own. You might want to drop him a PM to see how difficult it was. Maybe you can do it yourself.

If I recall correctly, Pete (blueskies) rebuilt his own. You might want to drop him a PM to see how difficult it was. Maybe you can do it yourself.

Actually Pete documented it in a blog. I don't have the garage or tools for that anymore...

FG.

I rebuilt my own, got the Borg warner OD manual, and Ply service manual on Overdrive transmission out and read them from cover to cover. disassembled the OD. found the parts that were damaged, then I got the parts I needed from Geo. Asche, along with a lot of tips from him.

it takes a lot of time and patience. there are a lot of peices in the OD. it workes fine except the solenoid is giveing me fits. I have to replace it.

freight would have way to expencive from the Pacific N.W. to Geo. Ashe in PA.

post-209-13585356405219_thumb.jpg

post-209-13585356405756_thumb.jpg

post-209-13585356406177_thumb.jpg

post-209-13585356406638_thumb.jpg

post-209-13585356407099_thumb.jpg

Of course it is going to need to be rebuilt. And converted for use with my car. However, it will be worth it in the end...now if I can just find someone in Southern California to rebuild and convert it. It came out of the 54 Dodge this gent had.

Does anyone know of anyone? I had that long talk with George Asche. However I don't know how much he'd charge for a rebuild and PA is a LOOOONG way away from Los Angeles. I don't know any gearheads or hot rod shops that would do this down here. I only know the VW ones. :)

FG.

You might contact forum member James Douglas who lives in San Francisco. You should be able to find his contact information in the members list above. Or Tod Fitch may have it. He bought a George Asche OD transmission and it failed. He then did his own rebuild.

Folks,

No pictures yet due the dark hour by which we got home. The 54 Dodge overdrive is now home and I have designs on it. However, I think I'm going to hold onto it for alittle bit and then eventually have it rebuilt. I will be placing a call into Jim Rupp when I have the chance though. Thank you very much for your help gentlemen. And for the person moving to Socal, I'd very much like to entertain rebuilding it myself even though I've never done it. Look me up when you get to the Southland.

All my best folks,

FG.

Have you thought of just switching the front shaft and trying it? Dad is running 2 ODs that have never been touched internally.

Ed,

No I hadn't. And unfortunately, I don't have the garage space or the tools anymore to do it myself. Therefore, I'm going to call that Jim Rupp gentlemen (who I called and all I got was a repeated ringing...) Therefore, I'm thinking it might be easier for someone else. However, I'll hold onto it for alittle bit. Just received some probable bad news that my car may need to goto the frame shop. I'm praying it doesn't have to.

FG.