Water in the carb trick

aero3113

I slowly poured water down my carb today to "steam clean" the engine.I warmed the engine up and I did it at fast idle. The engine did stumble a little. Nothing came out of the tail pipe no carbon or smoke. I thought I would at least see some smoke out the tail pipe. Any thoughts? I took the car out for a drive and it did seem to run a little better. But If I did not see anything come out it could all be in my head.

Take this for what it's worth. I gather you're trying to clean out the chambers and piston tops right? It's easier and much more accurate to just get a head gasket and some new antifreeze, take the head off, clean the head with a wire wheel, valve tops too (closed of course), and pistons tops while at TDC.

I posted this yesterday on another thread...the warm up you did well, crack it about half throttle and pour the 12 ounces in as fast as you can without killing the engine..you may have to open the throttle a bit more to keep it running...(don't want to chance a hydro lock)...it will stumble and misfires some, that is ok..just pour it in and hold the throttle till the water is gone and the engine clears and regains rpm...you should have a bunch of stuff come out the pipe..this truly does work...this trick was always done in cases where I detected light throttle ping..clears it right up...

as a young pup I revved a fairly high compression engine that was not what we call used to exercise and broke a chunk of carbon out and it knocked like a rod just about to go...oler gent showed me the water trick..gone in 15 seconds...purred real nicely..can you say I was nervous as it was not my car...

Edited by Tim Adams

I cleaned the head/new gasket,installed new rings and bearings about a year and a half ago, So things should still be pretty clean. I just want to stay on top of it. I am thinking I should do it annually. Like a spring cleaning for my engine.

How much did you run it after the head/gasket work??? Unless you did 5 to 10 K of slow , stop and start, city style driving, carbon build up should be a non issue. What kind of shape are you spark plugs in? They are a good indicator of what is happening inside your engine. Steam cleaning a clean engine doesn't seem to be a standard maintanence procedure. this kid of program is usually for a sick old tired oil burner that spark knocks all the time.

You need more water...I cleaned out a beat up old 360 one time. Brought the throttle up to around 2000rpm, then started powering water slowly down the carb. Had to feather the throttle to keep it running but the garbage that came out the pipe, and the steam was astounding!! I probably poured a liter or so, so around a quart.

I've done this once or twice with seafoam on my 94 dakota. It gets a little pingy and then we've done this to clean it out. We let the carb suck the liquid in through a vacuum tube.

I've used water and seafoam. Seafoam puts on a pretty good show. How I do seafoam is start off like Don said, pouring it in while half revving the engine, then when you're about out of seafoam, slightly increase the amount you pour in until it stumbles and cuts out. Stop pouring immediately. Let the engine sit for 5-10 minutes and crank up the engine (takes a little while). Sit back and watch the show. Better than any smoke bomb

Why not Seafoam?

Seafoam will work the same as water. Lets do the math.

Can of Seafoam $six bucks or so

Can of water $one cent or less.

I once bought a can of Seafoam and learned my lesson.

Sea Foam Sales Company

P.O. Box 5178

Hopkins, MN 55343-1178

Phone (952)938-4811

MATERIAL SAFETY DATA INFORMATION

FOR

SEA FOAM MOTOR TREATMENT Part No. SF-16

SEA FOAM TRANS TUNE Part No. TT-16

Note: Each product contains the same ingredients; however, the percentage of each ingredient

varies within the limits of the printed percentages, depending on the use of each product

=============================================================================

SECTION I IDENTITY AS USED ON LABEL AND LIST

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Motor Treatment and Trans Tune

Sea Foam Formula: Proprietary Blend Date Prepared: 4-1-2002

Emergency #: (800)535-5053 MFG. Code ID: 34066

SECTION II-A HAZARDOUS COMPONENTS

NO. COMPONENT EPC# % BY WT.

1 PALE OIL 4229 40-60%

2 NAPHTHA 20 25-35%

3 IPA 125 10-20%

>> NONE OF THE COMPONENTS OF THIS PRODUCT ARE RECOGNIZED AS CARCINOGENIC.

SECTION II-B OCCUPATIONAL EXPOSURE LIMITS

--------------------------------------- ----------------------------------------

NO. (OSHA) PEL/TWA PEL/CEILING NO. (OSHA) PEL/STEL SKIN*

--------------------------------------- ----------------------------------------

1 5.000mg/m3 N/E 1 N/E N

2 300.000ppm N/E 2 400.000ppm N

3 400.000ppm N/E 3 500.000ppm N

NO. (ACGIH) TLV/TWA TLV/CEILING NO. (AC GIH) TLV/STEL SKIN*

1 5.000mg/m3 N/E 1 10.000mg/m3 N

2 300.000ppm N/E 2 N/E N

3 400.000ppm N/E 3 500.000ppm N

* (SKIN) ABSORPTION MAY CONTRIBUTE TO THE OVERALL EXPOSURE TO THIS MATERIAL.

TAKE APPROPRIATE MEASURES TO PREVENT SKIN CONTACT.

SECTION III PHYSICAL DATA

BOILING POINT : 180 (DEGREES F)

EVAPORATION RATE: < 1 (ETHER = 1) % SOLID : 40-60% (THEORETICAL)

VAPOR DENSITY : > 1 (AIR = 1) WEIGHT PER GALLON : 6.93 (THEORETICAL)

(Boiling point represents boiling point of lowest boiling raw material.)

================================================================================================================

SECTION IV HEALTH INFORMATION

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- EYE CONTACT - BASED ON THE PRESENCE OF COMPONENTS 2 AND 3 PRODUCT IS PRESUMED TO BE MODERATELY IRRITATING TO

THE EYES. BASED ON THE PRESENCE OF COMPONENTS 2 AND 3 PRODUCT VAPORS AND/OR MISTS MAY ALSO BE IRRITATING TO THE

EYES.

- SKIN CONTACT - EXPOSURE MAY PRODUCE SKIN IRRITATION. BASED ON THE PRESENCE OF COMPONENTS 2 AND 3 PROLONGED

OR REPEATED CONTACT MAY RESULT IN DEFATTING AND DRYING OF THE SKIN WHICH MAY RESULT IN DERMATITIS.

- INHALATION - EXPOSURE MAY PRODUCE IRRITATION TO THE NOSE, THROAT, RESPIRATORY TRACT, AND OTHER MUCOUS

MEMBRANES. BASED ON THE PRESENCE OF COMPONENTS 2 AND 3 EXPOSURE TO HIGH CONCENTRATIONS OF VAPOR MAY PRODUCE

CENTRAL NERVOUS SYSTEM DEPRESSION.

- INGESTION - BASED ON THE PRESENCE OF COMPONENTS 2 AND 3 PRODUCT IS PRESUMED TO BE SLIGHTLY TOXIC. BASED ON

THE PRESENCE OF COMPONENT 3 INGESTION MAY CAUSE KIDNEY DAMAGE. BASED ON THE PRESENCE OF COMPONENT 3 INGESTION

MAY CAUSE LIVER DAMAGE. BASED ON THE PRESENCE OF COMPONENTS 2 AND 3 SMALL AMOUNTS OF THE LIQUID ASPIRATED INTO

THE LUNGS DURING INGESTION OR FROM VOMITING MAY RESULT IN SEVERE LUNG DAMAGE. BASED ON THE PRESENCE OF COMPONENT

3 INGESTION MAY CAUSE CENTRAL NERVOUS SYSTEM DEPRESSION.

- SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS - SYMPTOMS OF EYE IRRITATION INCLUDE PAIN, TEARING, REDDENING AND SWELLING. SYMPTOMS OF

SKIN IRRITATION INCLUDE REDDENING, SWELLING, RASH AND REDNESS. SYMPTOMS OF RESPIRATORY IRRITATION INCLUDE RUNNY

NOSE, SORE THROAT, COUGHING, CHEST DISCOMFORT, SHORTNESS OF BREATH AND REDUCED LUNG FUNCTION. SYMPTOMS OF

GASTROINTESTIONAL IRRITATION INCLUDE SORE THROAT, ABDOMINAL PAIN, NAUSEA, VOMITING AND DIARRHEA. BASED ON THE

PRESENCE OF COMPONENTS 2 AND 3 CENTRAL NERVOUS SYSTEM DEPRESSION MAY BE EVIDENCED BY HEADACHE, DIZZINESS, NAUSEA

AND SYMPTOMS OF INTOXICATION; IN EXTREME CASES, UNCONSCIOUSNESS AND DEATH MAY OCCUR. SYMPTOMS OF CHRONIC

OVEREXPOSURE INCLUDE LOSS OF MEMORY, LOSS OF INTELLECTUAL ABILITY AND LOSS OF COORDINATION.

- AGGRAVATED MEDICAL CONDITIONS - PREEXISTING SKIN, EYE AND RESPIRATORY DISORDERS MAY BE AGGRAVATED BY

EXPOSURE TO THIS PRODUCT.

- OTHER HEALTH EFFECTS - BASED ON THE PRESENCE OF COMPONENT 3 PRODUCT IS PRESUMED TO BE FETOTOXIC.

BASED ON THE PRESENCE OF COMPONENT 3 PRODUCT IS PRESUMED TO BE MUTAGENIC. BASED ON THE PRESENCE OF COMPONENT 2

CHRONIC OVEREXPOSURE MAY CAUSE DAMAGE TO THE KIDNEYS.

================================================================================================================

SECTION V EMERGENCY AND FIRST AID PROCEDURES

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- EYE CONTACT - IMMEDIATELY FLUSH EYES WITH WATER FOR AT LEAST 15 MINUTES. SEEK MEDICAL ATTENTION IF ANY

SYMPTOMS PERSIST.

- SKIN CONTACT - REMOVE CONTAMINATED CLOTHING AND SHOES. WIPE EXCESS FROM SKIN AND FLUSH WITH WATER USING SOAP

IF AVAILABLE. SEEK MEDICAL ATTENTION IF IRRITATION OCCURS. DO NOT REUSE CLOTHING UNTIL THOROUGHLY

DECONTAMINATED.

- INHALATION - REMOVE VICTIM TO FRESH AIR AND TREAT SYMPTOMATICALLY. PROVIDE OXYGEN IF BREATHING IS DIFFICULT.

GIVE ARTIFICIAL RESPIRATION IF THE VICTIM IS NOT BREATHING. SEEK PROMPT MEDICAL ATTENTION.

- INGESTION - DO NOT INDUCE VOMITING. IF VOMITING SPONTANEOUSLY OCCURS, KEEP THE VICTIM'S HEAD BELOW THE HIPS TO

PREVENT ASPIRATION INTO THE LUNGS. SINCE ASPIRATION INTO THE LUNGS CAN CAUSE VERY SERIOUS, PERMANENT DAMAGE, THE

DECISION OF WHETHER TO INDUCE VOMITING OR NOT SHOULD BE MADE BY A PHYSICIAN. DANGER FROM LUNG ASPIRATION MUST BE

WEIGHED AGAINST TOXICITY WHEN CONSIDERING EMPTYING THE STOMACH. CONSULT A PHYSICIAN, HOSPITAL OR POISON CONTROL

CENTER AND/OR TRANSPORT TO AN EMERGENCY FACILITY IMMEDIATELY.

- NOTES FOR PHYSICIAN - THE FOLLOWING COMPONENT-SPECIFIC INFORMATION MAY CONTAIN CONTRADICTIONS, AND IS

INTENTIONALLY INCLUDED TO GIVE THE ATTENDING PHYSICIAN SPECIFIC INFORMATION ABOUT THE INDIVIDUAL COMPONENTS OF

THE BLEND.

>> COMPONENTS 2 AND 3 MAY CAUSE SEVERE, PERMANENT DAMAGE IF ASPIRATED AND VOMITING SHOULD NOT BE INDUCED.

SECTION VI FIRE AND EXPLOSION HAZARDS

FLASH POINT : 55 DEGREES F. TCC

- EXTINGUISHING MEDIA - USE WATER FOG, FOAM, DRY CHEMICAL OR CARBON DIOXIDE.

- SPECIAL FIRE FIGHTING PROCEDURES AND PRECAUTIONS - WARNING. FLAMMABLE. CLEAR FIRE AREA OF UNPROTECTED

PERSONNEL. DO NOT ENTER CONFINED FIRE SPACE WITHOUT HELMET, FACE SHIELD, BUNKER COAT, GLOVES, RUBBER BOOTS, AND

A POSITIVE PRESSURE NIOSH-APPROVED SELF-CONTAINED BREATHING APPARATUS.

- UNUSUAL FIRE AND EXPLOSION HAZARDS - CONTAINERS EXPOSED TO INTENSE HEAT FROM FIRES SHOULD BE COOLED WITH

WATER TO PREVENT VAPOR PRESSURE BUILDUP WHICH COULD RESULT IN CONTAINER RUPTURE. CONTAINERS THAT ARE EXPOSED TO

DIRECT FLAME SHOULD BE COOLED WITH WATER TO ELIMINATE STRUCTURAL WEAKENING OF THE CONTAINER'S WALL AND POSSIBLE

RUPTURE.

When I do the water trick on my engine I have found that my spark plugs foul and my engine mis-fires and runs rough after the water trick is complete. When this happens I remove the plugs and sand blast them then re-install them.

My plugs may clean themselves if I let the engine run for a while at high RPM's. But, as I have a plug sand blaster, I find it easier to pop them out and blast them.

plug2.jpg

Well I did the water down the carb trick, I slowly poured 12oz of water while keeping the engine running. It stumbled and balked, kept working the throttle by hand and adding water. I was expecting smoke/steam and such out the tail pipe, but nothing. Did it a second time with same results. Don't know how much good it did, but it's done. Drove to my local watering hole for a quick one, couldn't tell any difference. The '38 gets a good dose of city and freeway driving, so maybe I didn't have carbon deposits. Or maybe my muffler is full now!!:eek:

Well I did the water down the carb trick, I slowly poured 12oz of water while keeping the engine running. It stumbled and balked, kept working the throttle by hand and adding water. I was expecting smoke/steam and such out the tail pipe, but nothing. Did it a second time with same results. Don't know how much good it did, but it's done. Drove to my local watering hole for a quick one, couldn't tell any difference. The '38 gets a good dose of city and freeway driving, so maybe I didn't have carbon deposits. Or maybe my muffler is full now!!:eek:

Was your engine up to full operating temperature when you did this?

...Good to hear it went well.Nice to know everything is in tune under the hood.I gather your vehicles are not neglected.