Anyone seen an engine # like this ?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230444489932&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Look at this front view to the left of the water pump. I had the owner check the engine number pad and he said he thinks it says V406. I can't find that number anywhere so I've also suggested he measure the stroke.

I sure would like to find a 265 closer to home.

mysteryflathead6.jpg

If I recall correctly, the A-C G tractor was the only one that may have had a flathead in it. All the A-C tractors and combines I've ever seen have had overhead valve engines. There were some Chev engines used on some combines but no Chbryslers.

Dad's John Deere combines in the 40's and 50's were Continentals, as I recall. Who made them? Started them with a crank. Amazing, they sat for 11 months, the ran for two or three weeks. Dad always flooded them out with oil through the carb, the plugged the exhaust pipe and there they sat.

A couple of years ago while looking at a parts truck I also looked at a small dozer that was MoPAR flathead powered. Not sure who made it-supposedly from WWII era or slightly later-designed for parts interchagability with Dodge vehicles I was told.

There are combines with chrysler flatheads in them. Co-op had some models and so did cockshutt. Here's one I saw on a plymouth club trip last summer. Here's a good spin off for you to the does your wife support the hobby. Thats my coupe in the background and this picture was taken the day after I got engaged.

DSC00498.jpg

Massey harris, massey ferguson, and allis chalmers-gleaner all had chrysler flat sixes at one time. Airport tugs, mini dozers and tow mater fork trucks also.

Our 60's gleaner had a 265 in it still does/not for sale.

It could be a monkey wards or jasper engine replacement engine for all we know until the seller coughs up a serial number...hinthint..:DGet busy Reg:)

I did ask him and He thinks the number stamped on the raised rectangular pad is V406. I've never seen that number before.

Edited by Reg Evans