6 Volt Dwell/Tach Meter

aero3113

About 2 or so years ago I bought a generic tach/dwell meter from my local better auto supply store. Seems to work just fine on my 6v positive ground system.

Since the 12v point & breaker ignition systems used a ballast resister to limit the ignition to about 6v, it seems to me that there shouldn't really be any difference between a 12v tach/dwell and a 6v tach/dwell meter.

The only real issue is that the local store is likely to only carry one fairly expensive meter since all the new stuff has gone to computerized diagnostic tools.

I recently bought a Tach/Dwell meter from ebay for $15 including shipping. It was a brand new, in the package, Napa/Sunpro meter. Napa no longer stocks these units. I believe it has been sitting around for a while unused. I just hook up the two wires oposite of how the directions say since I have the positive ground system. It works great. Like Tod says, a 12V system still drops the voltage at the points anyway so it doesn't matter.

Merle

I wanna make sure that I understand what I am reading. I can install a tach w/ an analogue gauge in my P15, and it matters not whether it is for 6v as long as it is for a 6 cylinder?

In this thread they are talking about a hand held tachometer/dwell meter as in the first picture below.

A dash mounted tachometer is a different animal. Below is the schematic for the tachometer I have installed in my 12 volt car. It does require a 12 volt power supply from a source other than the ignition coil as the ignition coil voltage is reduced to 6 volts.

drill2.jpg

tacowire-1.jpg

Tach.jpg