Optima Battery

Don St Peter

Since I need to buy a new 6 volt battery for my 40 Ply P-9 I'm considering a solid state optima battery instead of the typical wet cell category 2. What has been the experts experiences on using them and what would I do to restrain the battery in the typical underseat 12" by 12" (est.) battery compartment.

Thanks in Advance

Don

Based on what I have read, seems like a good heavy duty wet cell is the best way to go.

Optima has moved thier manufacturing to Mexico, and seems to have had a lot of poor product quality since then.

If you have a tractor supply, or a fleet and farm ear by they are a good source for 6V batts. Also check your phone book for an EXide, or Interstate warehouse, I have been getting batteries from them for a good long time. the battery I have i my car now is an Excide commercial group 1. It is a second, meaning there was a scratch on the case or in mine's case the decal lable was crooked. Battery cost me 24 bucks, it going on its 4th year now, and shows no signs of quiting.

I have 2 Optimas - one in each Plymouth. I find them hard cranking in the cold and they hold a charge over long periods of no use.

I've only had them a couple years so I don't know about longevity. They do cost a little more. I think I paid about $150. But you don't have to put water in them. They will function on their side. I have no complaints.

After reading about poor optima batteries, I went to my local Napa store and bought a 6V battery that they had in stock. It slipped right into the holder under the floorboard of my Pilothouse pickup.

I would have to disagree with you Dennis. I've had mine for almost five years and thought it was done for about two years ago. I charged it overnight with a standard 6v charger and the thing works great.

Best.

ARTHUR

DSC03293.jpg

Have seen many Optima's, some are great as stated by others. Some are a piece of crap-Mexican made. I buy BIG Napa group 4 wet cells now for all my Mopars. I have made custom battery hold downs and modified in a factory way some of the trays. I'm tired of weak cranking/2 yr maximum life group 2's. I do have one Optima left-I'll see how long it lasts. They are great for swapping into different cars if you have many as I do. That is as long as they work good. IMO Optima's now days are a gamble.

Bob

They had a big, long group of posts on Optima over on the HAMB recently.

The member who began he post was supposed to pass the opinions and info

learned back to the Optima people.

The general consensus was: the old batteries prior to two or three years ago (or

whenever they moved the operation to Mexico) were real good items - lasted a

long time, etc.

The new Mexico made batteries are not very good at all.

Some have failed within 30 days after purchase.....others after a

bit longer. And not so great results from Customer Service. Plus the price

is higher now than it used to be.

Johnson Controls Corp bought Optima company and moved the manufacturing

to Mexico. And that seems to be when problems began.

I've never owned an Optima and likely will not, but can see they have their

strong points, if the quality is there.