Not sure about the year...

Bought a truck off e-bay, titled as a 1954, S/N is 85328826. Looks like it should be a 53 B-3, 108" WB, NOT a 1954.

I've got the body off, glass and wiring harness removed. Ready to have the body soda blasted and mount her up on the 98 Dakota frame. My 440/727 combo is in the garage waiting to be mated up!

Any advice will be welcomed!

post-6492-13585352564792_thumb.jpg

post-6492-13585352564986_thumb.jpg

post-6492-13585352565176_thumb.jpg

Good find. Welcome to the forum. Based on the the front grill style it is not a B3, but a B4 - 1/2 ton low bed delux five window cab. Manufacturing of the B4 started in late 1953. If you want to narrow it down, look for the serial number tag on the driver side post between the two door hinges, or the serial number is stamped on the side of left front frame just behind the left front wheel. A little steel wool will remove rust or paint and reveal the number. From that number you can find the approximate manufacture date, factory, model and year.

nice truck. I have my 53 cab on a 91 dakota frame, not a hard swap considering. good luck and welcome. Bud

Bud,

Can you share any info on your swap? I'm really a rookie at this. I understand that the Dakota frames are pretty much the same from 97 - 2004? How did you determine the spots for the cab mounts? Did you fabricate the brackets you used? Lots more questions where those came from!

Thanks,

Scott

Hey Cobaltboatfan,

Left Click on the members name

Left click the "view public profile" button

Left click "statistics"

Choose "all posts by...." or "all threads by..." and look through the Thread titles.

The thread titles will all have the member name under it (in other words they wrote it)

The posts will be listed with the comment the member made on other members threads.

Also use the "Search" button to find threads related to your entry.

Looks like you have a great project there....welcome to the forum!

48D

Serial # decodes as

Serial Number 85328826

Year 1954

Make Dodge

Model C-1-B

Engine 217.76 or 230 Flathead Six

Wheelbase 108,116

Rating 1/2 Ton

Engineering Code T334

Plant Los Angeles, California

Build Number 826

dodge Truck vin/ Serial # decode

OLDMOPAR,

You are indeed the master, a veritable fount of knowledge and unsurpassed wisdom.

(In other words, thanks!)

Scott

Hey Cobaltboatfan,

Left Click on the members name

Left click the "view public profile" button

Left click "statistics"

Choose "all posts by...." or "all threads by..." and look through the Thread titles.

The thread titles will all have the member name under it (in other words they wrote it)

The posts will be listed with the comment the member made on other members threads.

Also use the "Search" button to find threads related to your entry.

Looks like you have a great project there....welcome to the forum!

48D

Yeah, what he said. If you can't find the posts or threads, let me know and I will get them to you. Bud

Yeah, what he said. If you can't find the posts or threads, let me know and I will get them to you. Bud

Bud,

I looked through several pages of your posts and couldn't find what I was looking for (you are indeed a prolific poster!)

I'm looking for info on the frame swap for my 54 to a Dakota frame. Cab mount design/fabrication info, location of cab mounts, and same info for motor mounts. Any pics would be especially helpful!

I appreciate the extra time and effort to answer my e-mail.

Thanks!

Scott

This all brings up a good question. I always thought there was a B4 Pilothouse which was a late 53 model of the B3 cab, frame, etc. The new C series in 54 changed the grill, front windshield (single glass), dash and rear fenders. I believe a V-8 was also offered for the first time.

My question: Is there a B4 model, and how as it different from the B3?

Im glad to see another C on here :) Very nice truck, I saw that one on ebay, looks like a great base...Ive had a couple of 54s and I love them...good luck

albolton,

NICE TRUCK!! I'll show my ignorance but since I know very liitle about this era of Mopars, what year is your truck? Looks like you spent a lot of time on her and it has many features I'd like to incorporate into my build.

Thanks for replying,

Scott

Reg did the bigger trucks come with the hemi version?

I think so Ed. I saw a similar vintage school bus with a small hemi in it once. Shoulda grabbed it too but only the 47 1/2 ton with a transplanted hemi followed me home.

Maybe DodgeB4ya knows ?????