Restore or Sell

my48stake

I'm new here but have visited on occasion over the years. I've had a 48 Stake truck for a number of years. I'm trying to decide if I should restore it myself or sell to someone who'd like to have one to restore. One question I have is what's it worth :confused:

Background: The truck was originally bought new by my grandfather's cousin who used it on his small farm in Michigan until 1973 (the last year it was licensed.) He then parked it in his barn where it sat until the '87 when he gave it to me and I parked it in my parent's barn until last month. Dad wanted some room so now it's at my house and my 14 year old son would like us to restore.

It's in great shape with the usual farm use wear and tear plus the effects of having sat idle for some 35 years. Some slight surface rust but nothing major, passenger and driver door windows cracked and I think the clutch is frozen. I'm guessing that with relatively little effort I could get it into a running state and if I wanted to take it back closer to original it would be a very solid starter.

Thoughts from those who've tackled a restoration greatly appreciated and also any insights to value range would be welcome.

If it is a chance to work with and spend some time with your son the restore it.

It does not matter if it gets done the memories it will create will be worth more then the money spent.

Agreed. I'll definitely do a project with him so the question is really whether I do this one of something else. Since he'll be taking drivers ed within a year we may focus on a project that's more of a fun first car for him.

A 1 Ton stake body that's been in the family since new... I'd keep it too.

Get 'er runnin', get the brakes working and safe, clean it up, and have the boy take his driving test in it. Imagine the license tester's expression when he pulls up in the 'Ol Dodge for his test. :D:D If he can pass in that he could drive just about anything.

Merle

You mention restored. You also mention that you think with little effort you could get it into a running state. Get it into a running, driveable state, then think about it some more. Not every one of these has to be a restoration. Just make a driver out of it.

I recently bought a '48 B1B that had been in a barn for 20+ years and my goal is to drive it just as it came out of the barn. At least to the casual observer. It's got new brakes, seals, hoses, brake lines, cylinders, all that. But it looks like it just came out of the barn.

You might find that you get quite a bit of enjoyment out of it just as it is. And I'll be your son will for sure.

• 3 weeks later...

Wow-I wouldn't give that a 2nd thought-that is a keeper and project for sure-you're starting out with something in much nicer shape than a lot of us have, and it has family roots too. Mike

• 2 weeks later...