Story/Pics of our truck

I'm a new guy here so I just figured I'd share a few pics/story of our truck. Technically it's my fiance's truck but she always says it "our" truck. She won it on Ebay 4 years ago. I talked to the owner of the truck several times and everything seemed legit. She won the auction sight unseen and I had it trucked home from Selah, WA to western NY state. She's the 4th owner. It was originally bought as a farm truck in WA state. The original owner left it to her grandson who sold it to the guy who owned it before my fiance. The PO bought it in non-running condition and made it worse. He attempted a 12V conversion and failed. He also attempted a 4 speed conversion and failed. Then he Ebayed the truck.

When the truck got here I immediately went to work on it. First thing I did was put the generator back on and put the wiring back the way it was supposed to be. I checked the oil, dumped a little gas in the carb and it fired on the 2nd revolution. Perfect. It wasn't pumping gas to the carb so a little blast of air back through the fuel line fixed that. The plugged fuel line probably explains the 12V electric fuel pump that was sheetmetal screwed to the inner fender :rolleyes:. I also rebuilt the carb and gave it a full tuneup after I knew it'd run. Fired it up and wow, it ran like a clock. The 6V charging system worked perfect too. Still don't know why the PO tried the 12V convert. Next I tackled the 4 speed "conversion." The truck came with the original 3 speed. I replaced the 2nd gear synchro in it and put it back in the truck. Everything hooked back up and worked perfect. I threw brakes on it and got new tires for it and we were ready for a road test. The thing ran and drove great and still does. It's got 81,000 miles on the clock and gets driven A LOT. I did some research and the truck is 1 of only 8000 built at the California plant in '50. Anyway, here's a couple pics:

The day it came home:

100_0099_093.jpg

After all the mechanical and 2 days of wet sanding and buffing:

100_0110_104.jpg

100_0115_109.jpg

Yes, it gets used as a truck:

124intruck.jpg

Nice looking truck with interesting history. Where in Western NY are you located? I have a son in Akron, NY and I once lived in Varysburg.

Don, Where haven't you lived? Seems like no matter where in the US someone says they live you once lived there or near there.

:D

Don, Where haven't you lived? Seems like no matter where in the US someone says they live you once lived there or near there.

Tod;

If I tally my zip codes and phone area code numbers it is higher than the national stimulus budget:D But unlike Norm I get my hands and clothes dirty even if I only watch a dirty job being done.

I learned the hard way that a seriously oxidized exterior can be brought back to life, I used a sander and took it past the original paint. What you did is commendable. Good work!:)

2007truck7.jpg

Here's my B2B. I'm the 4th owner, having bought it from a woman who lived across the street from the original owners when she was a little girl. After she had grown up she saw the truck one day and followed the guy driving it until he stopped. After confirming it was the same truck she told him to contact her if he ever wanted to sell it. About 6 years later he did. She only kept it about 6 months and sold it to me. It came with the original owner's manual and the dealer service booklet. This was in 1996 and I restore it between 2004-06.

How are you gonna get the paint off of the SS trim in the grill? Looks great BTW.

'50's had painted steel grill bars. Stainless was an option that year.

That sure is a nice lookin B2B. I like your story too.

I believe I'm the 3rd owner of my B2C. The guy that I bought it from had it about 1 year after picking it up from the farm where it first went into service back in 1951.

Merle

Thanks for all the great comments so far.

We're located near Springville in WNY for those who asked. I didn't realize how many of these trucks were actually still around until I found this site. I've only ever seen 1 other PH locally. It's a '52 and ratrodded.

Does anyone know if the low-side box is a rare option? I remember reading somewhere that the trucks came with a high-side box but the low was still available as a special order in '50.

I'm trying to determine if the truck was a special order or if someone just bought it off the lot.

It has the low side box, spare tire, rear bumper (which several people have offered to buy right off the truck), sun visor, electric wipers, deluxe cab and I guess there were 2 choices of suspension and this truck has the heavy one (I can't remember how I determine that, I probably read it somewhere). I feel like there's something else too, but can't remember. Anyway, any additional insight is appreciated!

I have two low box B3's and there seems to be fewer of them around than the high box bed. Don Bunn notes in his book that the low box was a rare option. I've always heard they were special ordered for 'job rated' grocery and product deliveries where boxes could be lifted easier over the side. Yours probably had a city-fy-ed use.

There is a link on the site for writing Chrysler (hope someone is still employed there) to obtain the build card for your truck. It used to be $40 or $50 bucks. You will need your Vin number off your door frame plate, or get the number stamped in your frame behind your left front wheel. It will show the options that came with the truck and generally information as to the dealer, delivery date, etc.

Your rear bumper is rare and is probably factory ordered. Most of the trucks of this vintage came from the factory without the rear bumper and the dealer would have a heavy duty one fabricated for your special use or hauling.

I don't believe your truck came with an OEM right rear brake light, so that was probaly added to meet some later safty requirement in your state.

Great looking truck and find. Welcome to the site. You'll find just about all the answers here, but it looks like you have been able to improvise well so far.

Jim in Dallas

There is a link on the site for writing Chrysler (hope someone is still employed there) to obtain the build card for your truck. It used to be $40 or $50 bucks.

It always was and still is $25.00 for trucks. The cars cost $45.00 because Chrysler offers some breakdown for them. With a truck all you get is a photocopy of their microfilm copy of your trucks build record. The Chrysler Archives is still alive although with a new website found here.

http://www.wpchryslermuseum.org/newsroom.do?id=390&mid=135

I don't believe your truck came with an OEM right rear brake light, so that was probaly added to meet some later safty requirement in your state.

Thanks for all the input

That's what it was that I couldn't remember. I read somewhere that the right side brakelight was an option. The bracket that it's bolted to is definately a factory part. It's a mirror image of the one on the left. I've since found the original taillights and replaced the ones in the pictures. The rear wiring harness is still original and intact and has the plugs for the taillight to plug right into.

It always was and still is $25.00 for trucks. The cars cost $45.00 because Chrysler offers some breakdown for them. With a truck all you get is a photocopy of their microfilm copy of your trucks build record. The Chrysler Archives is still alive although with a new website found here.

Has anyone had success obtaining truck build-cards for B3 trucks. Sounds like the cut-off was 1950 which would include B1's and B2's.

Jim in Dallas

[quote=Southtowns27;140038

100_0115_109.jpg

QUOTE]

This is a close to an answer to the question "what color is the tail gate lettering? From this photo I would say that the tailgate left with the same color as the wheels. Looks light cream to me.

Dennis

Thanks for all the input

That's what it was that I couldn't remember. I read somewhere that the right side brakelight was an option. The bracket that it's bolted to is definately a factory part. It's a mirror image of the one on the left. I've since found the original taillights and replaced the ones in the pictures. The rear wiring harness is still original and intact and has the plugs for the taillight to plug right into.

NYS Inspection still only requires a horn and single amber/red taillight for a 1950 truck. My guy laughs everytime I bring it in but still checks on the computer to make sure there have not been any changes.

Has anyone had success obtaining truck build-cards for B3 trucks. Sounds like the cut-off was 1950 which would include B1's and B2's.

Jim in Dallas

Build cards are available for US built trucks from 1930 through 1954. The website is incorrect and they just transfered over their mistake to the new website. I've notified them but it still remains. Someone has even gotten one for a 1955.

The auxiliary tail lamp was an option available from the factory. Cost in 1948 was $5.50. The Detroit made build cards have a punch column for this option. Since his is a California truck it would probably be typed to indicate if it came that way.