Pedal Draft Seals

A few guys I know have told me how hearing the pedals thump the floor brings back memories from when they drove their own trucks. I consider it part of the charm. I haev a chunk of car tire under my floor which is projecting the metal floor piece but its not soft enough to muffle much of the thunk.

The draft seals I had/have have a lip on them that I believe is supposed to hold the seal to the floor piece. Of course I tried installing one today and it ripped apart.
yah I see that groove on there and want to have it stick on the floor boards, but I doubt it'll stay in one piece if I do! Well, all assuming I can ever get a set on!

The seal is attached to the pedal shaft and only touches the floorboards when the pedal is fully up. They do not attach to the floorboards at all...

It was new about 5 years ago but I hadn't ever attempted to install it. FYI I thought I heard gas makes rubber swell up so I soaked it about 5min before hand. NO help.

I'd expect modern gasoline, or anything that makes the rubber swell for that matter, to damage them to the point I would not trust them to last long after exposure.

The seal is attached to the pedal shaft and only touches the floorboards when the pedal is fully up. They do not attach to the floorboards at all...

I'd expect modern gasoline, or anything that makes the rubber swell for that matter, to damage them to the point I would not trust them to last long after exposure.

Tod what is that extra lip on the seal for then?

Yes, I agree. They should be a snug fit around the pedal shaft so they wouldn't slide through easily if the seal was attached to the floor. They should stay on the pedal shaft and seal against the bottom of the floor when the pedals are up.

I have to assume that the car pedals are similar, but on mine there is a ridge on the pedal shaft that would hold the seal from sliding too far down when installed. I had intentions of trying to install them from the bottom up when I had the pedals off to replace the bushings, but I forgot. I guess I'll have to get some new ones and try to install them again. Hopefully they'll be more resilient than the last set I had.

P3270328.jpg

I used armor all or soap on the ones I purchased from Roberts. They easily slid over the ped pad. Its a lot less work that way than trying to remove those pedals. I just bought a parts truck that was on a farm at one time. The owner took heavy leather belting and wrapped it around the pedal shaft, then fastened it with a stitch of wire coat hanger! Necessity is a mother..... Mike

Hit up Juliano's for the 4 piece seal and trim set for each pedal and the steering column. Rubber and billet or chrome, bolts to the floor, pedal arms move through the cut-outs built into the unit.

Not stock, but, neither are the mahogany armrests or work in progress mahogany strip headliner, or the copper door/kick panel covers I'm working on, not to mention the vinyl wrapped steering wheel, maple shift knob, CD player for the glovebox opening, spare hood nameplate on the glovebox door... :D

If original parts work, great. If they don't, or their repopped replacements don't, I'm hitting the street rod trim suppliers for stuff that will. If i don't like the modern replacements, I'll just weld the fastener holes shut and come up with something else.

Hit up Juliano's for the 4 piece seal and trim set for each pedal and the steering column. Rubber and billet or chrome, bolts to the floor, pedal arms move through the cut-outs built into the unit.

Not stock, but, neither are the mahogany armrests or work in progress mahogany strip headliner, or the copper door/kick panel covers I'm working on, not to mention the vinyl wrapped steering wheel, maple shift knob, CD player for the glovebox opening, spare hood nameplate on the glovebox door... :D

If original parts work, great. If they don't, or their repopped replacements don't, I'm hitting the street rod trim suppliers for stuff that will. If i don't like the modern replacements, I'll just weld the fastener holes shut and come up with something else.

Odd that you don't have a mahogany shift knob to match the rest.

• Haha 1

Put the maple part in when I was still in Washington state. The mahogany roof strips were originally for my 58 D300, then my father in law swiped them for his D-humungous based motorhome (1970 with a 413-3). He said he lost them, then Katrina came through (demolished the D300 and our 1946 cabin cruiser). We left the coast in 99, left the farm in 01, moved back this April. The strips were in the barn on top of a bunch of stuff salvaged from the vacation home in MS.

Truck does need another shift knob. Had a skull in a Nazi helmet for it, but used that in the Ranger.

Had covered the stock gas pedal in mahogany but it fell apart. Have to get a new one from Roberts or VPW. May get a gunstock checkered mahogany cover, not sure yet.

Glove box guts for the CD player will be made of "flame" mahogany, brilliant red with gold streaks in it. If I bother with a radio that is, otherwise it will have a mahogany or cherry glovebox.

I did find enough solid pecan flooring to do the bedfloor if I want it fancy, otherwise it will be bedliner spray over ground contact 3/4" plywood.

Also found that some Peterbilt and Freightliner hooded chrome trim bezels will fit it...

Stock looks too much like a Chevron gas company "happy car" toy.

• 1 month later...

well, got my new set of pedal draft seals from Roberts (I really think NEW is the issue, if these are at all oldish, they'll tear like my first try oldish set). Let them soak in boiling soapy water for about 5 minutes, and struggled to get them on. With a few tries and some toasty finger tips, I got them on in one piece! What a PITA! I don't see how anyone would be able to install those easily with a cab on! With the cab off I could move around and get in there, cab in the way....OUCH! As it was had to touch up my paint a little.

• Like 1