OT-wrecking yard closing Ca.

jimainnj

That's a lot of old tin that is going to the crusher. If I lived in the area I would certainly make a trip to get some unneeded but "nice to have as a spare" parts. Hopefully, people take advantage of the one time opening. It would be nice to see some complete cars be saved also.

You know I just don't understand it. It doesn't take too many parts on these old cars to equal the crusher price. If you managed it well, with advertisement maybe listing all the plymouth cars on the plymouth forums chevys on the chevy forums, The H.A.M.B and such you should be movin some parts but I'm biased I love old cars and hate to see them crushed.

Have you ever noticed that guys that run these places don't seem to

think of such things??? They just sit there waiting for folks to come in

their door. Then, it depends upon how reasonably they offer to sell

an item....how much they can move. They just seem to reach a point of

throwing in the towel and crushing. Far as I know, scrap metal prices are

still down.

I know Gerry Turner. His son age 36+/- was going to continue the business then died driving a race car. This happened about two years ago. Gerry is in Australia this month on his annual trip there, then will come back and shut it all down. He is 80 years old and wants to retire and work with his motorcyle collection. He has some 250 cycles which he has been collecting for nearly 50 years.

He has some nice mopar stuff. If I had the money I would try to buy what I could and part it out. Would definitely make some money.

To bad, he was one of the very honest wrecking yards in this area. I live about 25 miles from him. He is saving a Chrysler engine for me. Will pick it up in April if it runs nice.

Attached are some pictures of our fruit trees. Took the pics this afternoon. Enjoy.

I can understand at that age getting out of the biz and can't blame him. Here in Tennessee you have to have to have a permit [EPA] and Ihad heard that they wont issue any new ones so if you wanted to operate a junk yard you would have to buy someone out. I would think in Califorina they would be even tougher on such things so it would be more profitable to sell out than crush out.

I think finding a buyer for an existing salvage place is probably difficult.

I imagine the seller would want a pretty hefty price.

He probably built the place up from something small over the years.

There was an area salvage that had a batch of 40s and 50s, plus some

newer old cars.....he wanted to sell it all.....no takers. So he sold off

what he could, then called in the crusher. The owners health had gotten

bad. At the last, he would sell a complete car for $100 and also the

contents of various old school busses and box truck beds for $100. You

had to get it out right away.

Say it ain't so...:eek:

I've gotten a lot of stuff from Turners. He's always been fair. Lots of cars. One of the things I noticed is so many of the cars are not smashed up or wrecked. They are whole.

How sad to think of all that iron lost to collectors. I know I'm being selfish but there is a lot of history being lost.

post-480-13585349472307_thumb.jpg

post-480-13585349472479_thumb.jpg

post-480-13585349472748_thumb.jpg

post-480-13585349472988_thumb.jpg

I think finding a buyer for an existing salvage place is probably difficult.

I imagine the seller would want a pretty hefty price.

He probably built the place up from something small over the years.

There was an area salvage that had a batch of 40s and 50s, plus some

newer old cars.....he wanted to sell it all.....no takers. So he sold off

what he could, then called in the crusher. The owners health had gotten

bad. At the last, he would sell a complete car for $100 and also the

contents of various old school busses and box truck beds for $100. You

had to get it out right away.

That would likely realize as much cash as crushing and the vintage tin isn't lost forever.

Imagine the wailing if it was a whole town of vintage houses with all the original trim and materials. There would be hippies laying in front of the bulldozers.

Not even close for old metal...crush and shred it without a tear:(

I bought my S10 T5 gearbox from Jerry Turner last year on the recomendation of a guy here in Oz and I couldn't have been more happier. I spoke to Jerry a couple of times over the phone and he was more than helpful, gave a fair price and good service and shipped the gearbox to the depot in Long Beach quickly............he said he was coming over here this year again, buggar that it his swansong......a pox on the scrappers..............andyd.

Its a shame to see all that nice CA stuff go. Here in MN a really big yard crushed out but truely that stuff was pretty well picked over and a lot of it was quite rusty. Don if you happen to make it up there I could use a cheap set of door and the side mouldings behind the door for a p15 club coupe.

If any of you send me a shopping list via PM and approx what you would pay I can make a run for you. As I said earlier I live about 25 miles from Turner and can easily take the time.

Maybe I ought to go and see what he has first, whatever.

Paul

I know this is kind of late but here's the word:

My wife called Turners today. He's closed on Sunday and will be closed for 3 weeks. And then he'll open for a couple of months.

I'm going up tomorrow (Saturday). I don't really need anything but I'm going to look and see what he's got.

I will be leaving early Sat. morning if there is anything I can look for try to let me know.

I will check my e-mail if that is easier: donlj@ix.netcom.com

The pictures I posted were from a year ago - I'm not sure what's left. I was up there a few months ago getting a fender.

I am sad that this place is going under - it will be an incredible loss for all old car enthusiasts. :(