no oil filter?

hucks 50

I believe filters were a dealer installed option. That is why there are so many varities of filters available.

Maybe in the era of the P15. An oil filter was standard equipment on the 1933 Plymouth. Within a few years after that it became standard on the deluxe but optional on the standard or Roadking models.

• 3 weeks later...

My 47 truck does not have a filter either. The fittings are there but they are plugged which tells me that the filter was removed. I see in your pix, just forward of the starter there is a right angle fitting and a vertical fitting just below it. Which one is the output to the filter. Also I have a fitting just behind the generator which goes to the oil pressure gauge but I am not sure it works very well. It is a very small capillary tube which is probably not sufficient.

comments?? :confused:

I had lines made with the flexible hoses and stainless steel braid, stainless fittings. You could make them any length - put it on the fenderwell, firewall or trunk. I had mine made by a guy who makes them for race cars. He put exactly the correct fittings, angled as I asked and all. About $70 for a set and they look stunning.

The right angle fitting is the pressure line. It should be at the same level as your oil pressure line gauge output.

The vertical fitting is the return from the filter canister.

Oil gauge line is a small line. Probably only 1/8" It is just pressure. no oil moving in there unless you unhook it at the gauge and crank up. On the truck do you have the small hose mounted in the line to the gauge the way the cars do? possibly deteriorated. You can connect a gauge directly at the block and see what you get for a reading.

Thanks for the info. I will hook it up that way. Filter is a spin-on type with adapter. I will recheck my In and Out on the filter adapter. I have a new oil pressure dash gauge connected with 1/8 copper tubing to the front block fitting. The original gauge read 60 psi when cold and estimated 18 when fully warmed up. Now I am seeing 50 psi cold and 5 psi hot. Not sure if my filter is connected properly or it is the gauge.

47dodgepu211........the oil filter you describe sounds like a late model spin on filter........my understanding is that if you use these type of "full flow" filter on the "by pass" oil line fittings as you may have done then you will get very low oil pressure readings as you seem to have, I'm no expert tho'.........is there someone else on the line who can confirm this?.......andyd

I had no oil filter when I bought a "restored" P11 Coupe, idled at 35psi, ran at 40-45psi.......installed a Beehive By Pass filter and the oil pressure readings are still the same.....andyd

Well I was told be a couple of people that using a spin on filter with the larger oil lines would result in low pressure.......andyd

I just installed a remote bypass filter. Used 1/4 inch rubber lines. There was no drop in oil pressure. The lines supplied with the kit were much bigger, and had I used them, I could see where I may have had a drop in pressure.

Bob