Volare in a '34 Plymouth?

34PEOWNER

I have picked up a 1980 Volare and intend to use most all of the drivetrain (engine, trany, rear end, and front end) in a '34 Plymouth PE 4 door. Wondering if anyone has any experience in installing the Volare front end in a car like this. Thanks for any help you could provide.

I have picked up a 1980 Volare and intend to use most all of the drivetrain (engine, trany, rear end, and front end) in a '34 Plymouth PE 4 door. Wondering if anyone has any experience in installing the Volare front end in a car like this. Thanks for any help you could provide.

I haven't had any experience with this, but I'm sure someone will chime in here to give you some ideas. Welcome to the board! You are sure to make a few friends here. :)

Here is a how to with some good info about puttin one under a ford f100 truck frame. I would thing aside from small differences in frame dimensions, the procedure would be similar and the templates they talk about for locating the cuts might also work.

You might also want to look into the use of an Early Dakota Pick up front frame clip.

Another inexpensive possibility which is relatively easy is from the Ford Aerostar van. It just unbolts from the Aerostar and either bolts on or welds on your project frame. You might need to make so square tubing spacers but other wise it is straight forward. No frame cutting necessary.

http://www.ford-trucks.com/article/idx/0/079/article/Notes_on_a_Volare_Front_Clip_Install_On_A_1953_F100.html

Use a mustang II if you want IFS, The volaire front end works great on a truck but not the cars. I have one in my 48 P15 and it is a PIA to get the front bumper and core support to mount to not to mention making new frame rails to mount it to.

I tried to find a picture of the 34 frame but could not...if the front rails are straight and use a beam style axle and front leaf springs..it should be a fairly straight forward install..if anything like the late 30's and through the 50's...will be a major nightmare...one of our own here on the site DID this work himself...knighthawk...you can contact him for the ins and outs..

Here are a few quotes about the 34s from allpar. I know a few guys in the POC really love the 34s for their ride so I would imagine its good compared to the other years with I beam front ends.

Both 1933 and 1934 had been good years for Plymouth. 1935 was to be no exception. Production was up 49 percent over 1934 but it would be another year before production would surpass the half million vehicle mark. 1933 had seen the introduction of Plymouth's "L" head 6-cylinder engine; 1934 had seen the introduction of independent front wheel suspension. For 1935 improvements were made on the powerplant, but the front wheel springing mysteriously disappeared.

Early in March the PG series was launched bringing for the first time three distinct models to the Plymouth sales lineup. The PG shared the 108" wheelbase of the PF series but unlike the PF, which had an independent front suspension, the PG went back to a drop forged I beam front axle. The PG was the business series and as such was the cheapest car in the sales lineup. The PG was available only in two body styles, a coupe and a two door sedan. 62 PG four door sedans were built but that body style never reached mass production.

If you have original front independent suspension I recommend u consider rebuilding it. I have a 34 4 door independent front suspension and it rides great. It is a superb set up - Plymouth kept that for about 35 years on cars. My nova front clip on my 48 plym is not really a great improvement at all. I have seen some really neat and clean installations of v/6 Buick engines in the 34's at local shows.anyway where are u located? If you are scrapping parts let me know I am always hoarding 34 parts for th erainy day.

Lou

take a look:

http://www.carnut.com/photo/list/ply/ply34.html

Here are a few quotes about the 34s from allpar. I know a few guys in the POC really love the 34s for their ride so I would imagine its good compared to the other years with I beam front ends.

Both 1933 and 1934 had been good years for Plymouth. 1935 was to be no exception. Production was up 49 percent over 1934 but it would be another year before production would surpass the half million vehicle mark. 1933 had seen the introduction of Plymouth's "L" head 6-cylinder engine; 1934 had seen the introduction of independent front wheel suspension. For 1935 improvements were made on the powerplant, but the front wheel springing mysteriously disappeared.

Early in March the PG series was launched bringing for the first time three distinct models to the Plymouth sales lineup. The PG shared the 108" wheelbase of the PF series but unlike the PF, which had an independent front suspension, the PG went back to a drop forged I beam front axle. The PG was the business series and as such was the cheapest car in the sales lineup. The PG was available only in two body styles, a coupe and a two door sedan. 62 PG four door sedans were built but that body style never reached mass production.

This posting is just another reason Ed should be a POC president. He can turn the POC around and point it in the right direction.icon14.gif

I think the Volare clip would be too wide for a 34 car frame. Track width would seem to be wide also. Lou Earle is right on this one, rebuild the original suspension, upgrade the shocks, and install discs. You will be amazed at how well it rides and handles.

• 2 weeks later...

First of all, thanks for the hospitality and guidance you have provided.

I'm wondering if I was to go the route of rebuilding my original independant front end, where would I get the replacement parts? Also, can anyone suggest what type of discs and rotors to use?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

not sure of that year you have but Kanter stocks for the later years...give them a whirl..however..most of these kits are not cheap but for time and money invested going another way..you maybe time and money ahead..your year was a Ply-Do speciality...not a kit but stock king pins, drag link etc etc...but I think they may still not be back up to speed after the owner passed...you can try them at 1-304-475-3245

I don't know of anyone who is selling a disc brake conversion kit especially for the '34 Plymouth. ECI sells them for as old as '37. Unsure of anyone else. Maybe someone else here knows someone or has done their own conversion.