1948 Dodge Pilot House / Dakota frame swap

Apittslife

Wow this things going to look awesome, good work!! Are you going to use a MIG or TIG to finish welding all the panels together? I see you have them tacked in place and im assuming you used a MIG for that portion, but we all know what happens when you assume... lol :D

-Chris

@ Hank: Thanks, You aren't the only one to think that. :P A friend of mine wasn't to sure I could put her back together & have it look like something other then junk! But, He came by today & was VERY surprised by what I have accomplished in just under 2 weeks.

@ 48D: I haven't quite made up my mind about the windows, I had thoughts of extending the corner windows, but that isn't going to work. So I am debating the installation of a shortened rear window on each side? Or maybe I will leave it as is? I have till paint to make up my mind.

@ Chris: I will be MIG welding everything, I will take it slow as to minimize warping.

I didn't do as much as I had hoped too today. :(

But, I am quite happy with the roof so far. :) I am having a bit of a challenge with the section just above the rear of the door's, but I will get it taken care of in the next couple days. Just have to take it slow & not let it get to me.

I ordered another sheet of 18G sheet-metal today, hopefully will have it by Tuesday, as I have used 90% of my first sheet to do what I have already done.

Here are some more pictures, & please excuse the roached front fender!

Unbelievable how rusted they are, & how rust free the rest of the truck is??

IMG_20121208_114510.jpg

IMG_20121208_165831.jpg

IMG_20121208_165850.jpg

IMG_20121208_165908.jpg

It's starting to look like the real thing...

Desotodav

Damb it! You Ausies got most if not all the good stuff! :P

Actually there is someone that is building a cab Identical to the one pictured & has mounted it on a late model Dodge 2500 Diesel.

I am actually debating building a fleetside bed that mimics the PH UTE bed.

My vote would be not to add anymore windows and keep it smooth. Maybe a set of louvers somewhere.....but other than that ....smooooth. lol

IF....you do go with windows, I wonder if the rear window would work as a side window....:D

48D

Tim when you coming up here and showing me how to build one of these? I'm thinking full 4 doors like the pilothouse one pictured. I've got 3 cabs and 2 sets of doors ready for you

not sure you could handle the grocery bill feeding me Ed along with the list of materials needed to do the job...sounds like a very good idea though and would be a hoot to build....we going to extend the frame and keep a full bed (short box not a niner) in the rear also I presume..and for giggles we can put a bit of extra steel between the fender and the box and set up some dually's..just to keep them guessing..got a 5.9 and 727 and 9.25 rear axle with 3:23 gears just sitting here..

• 2 weeks later...
as an aside have you considered using the Dodge maxi van square looking glass ..these are of the 70's vintage..has top hinge and latching arms at the bottom that allow for venting..chrome framed..would be sharp..

The pre-98½ Club Cab has a fairly small pivot window that might work on its side. If memory serves, it seems that the window on my 92 was fairly flat...

I had hoped to use the rear windows from a couple pilot house's, But I later remembered to see how much crown they had, & it is to excessive to use. :(

So when I get the tyme I will go to a couple yards & see if the Van windows will work out. Hope so!

Have been to busy with cutomer's vehicals lately, so I haven't been able to work on my project. :(

I had hoped to use the rear windows from a couple pilot house's, But I later remembered to see how much crown they had, & it is to excessive to use. :(

So when I get the tyme I will go to a couple yards & see if the Van windows will work out. Hope so!

Have been to busy with cutomer's vehicals lately, so I haven't been able to work on my project. :(

Do you want the windows in the back to open and close like the front ones? If not how much work do you think it would be to make your own window frames? It looks like you're pretty handy so maybe with some extra time you could fab some up. By the way this is a sweet project! :cool:

-Chris

Hello Chris,

Yes, I am fairly confident I could fab my own window openings & will if I have to. Just hoping I can modify some exsisting ones. Operable windows aren't something I am worried about, as I have no intentions of having passengers in the rear, & I don't believe dodge would have had operable windows if they would have built something like this?

Hello Chris,

Yes, I am fairly confident I could fab my own window openings & will if I have to. Just hoping I can modify some exsisting ones. Operable windows aren't something I am worried about, as I have no intentions of having passengers in the rear, & I don't believe dodge would have had operable windows if they would have built something like this?

Im not sure what dodge would have done either but if i was you i would just go the non operable route, less work and you dont really need them since no one will be sitting back there.

• 2 months later...

Hello nowhereman,

Sorry, But I haven't been able to work on it since my last update!

Been busy with life & working on customer's vehical's. I keep promising myself I am going to work on it this weekend, but this weekend seems to elude me lately. :(

i know how that is.