'48 Dodge

slategrove

I recently bought this 48 Dodge Four Door, and have slowly been working on it. I don't know a lot about it, and that's why I bought it was so that I could learn how to wrench on it. I bought it for $1000 and after a fuel pump and a tune up (plugs, points, oil and oil filter) it's running pretty well. As soon as it's warm enough, I'll be timing it too.

Here are some pics, let me know what you guys think...

48withwhites.jpg

48Dodgedash.jpg

Hi, and welcome. Looks like a solid car to start on. The dash appears in

good condition, also.....looks like it's maybe missing the headlight switch on

the left end.....?? Where are you located....didn't see any snow in the

pictures.

Bob

Hi, and welcome. Looks like a solid car to start on. The dash appears in

good condition, also.....looks like it's maybe missing the headlight switch on

the left end.....?? Where are you located....didn't see any snow in the

pictures.

Bob

I'm not really sure what switch is missing there on the left of the push button button starter, but the lights switch (as from factory) is in the middle of the dash, and is still there and working. The shop manual, parts manual, and owners manual don't show another switch on the left side of the dash, but the hole appears to be original.

I'm located in Penland, N.C. about 30 minutes from the Tennessee border, thankfully no snow!!!

that is the back up light switch as it is not transmission activated by engagement, it is switch on by hand..the part missing is the lighted red globe part of the switch..do you have the single large back up light assembly on the left rear below the left tail light bezel?

can't really tell from the angle of the dash shot..but are the knobs black? the one I see does indicate it could be..the knob on the center top dash, wiper switch, should also match the dash knobs in color..your's is missing so could not tell...

Good looking car to start out with. Dont think I noticed anyone mentioning that it is a Dodge Town Sedan. This makes your car one of those that were not produced as much as the Dodge 4dr Sedan. Tim Adams has one of these and I think maybe a couple others. Most distinct item that makes these different is that the doors open the same way. On the other Sedans the rear doors are suicide doors and open opposite of the front.

The extra dash bezel looks like one I have on one of the 3 D24's I have, none a Town sedan, but it is located under the dash, just under the starter switch. It has the bulb connector like Tim mentioned. Unless they only put those there on the Town Sedans I would think someone added that on.

Tim, from this view that cig lighter knob looks brown. slategrove, are your dash knobs brown or black?

that is a tad different looking grain..especailly if you compare it to the dash Bob T. posted...as for the lighter knob..jury out on that one in my book..cannot discern the color but appears dark..the shifter knob is blocked, the wiper knob missing..just will have to wait for his answer...

I am curious of all the appointments of this car and compare it with my vehicle...the gas cap looks sorta thick from the angle I see it but without a close up cannot confirm if electric..the antennea appears busted from the mount..probably the original was a red tip telescopic..

Other questions on this car...would like the owner to list all the accessories with the car...

I am betting black knobs based on the steering wheel base color under the green paint...

It is good to see a Town Sedan on here...they are few and far between..the fact that there is no rear quarter glass is the first tip off to the TS as the doors are larger both front and rear and thus there was no room left for the quarter glass.

If the knobs are black then we have another Town Sedan Special....

Welcome Slategrove!

Town sedan really stands out from our D24 crowd, even if I like the regular 4D as well. Do the town sedan rear doors have hinges in front - not rear hinged "suicide" like regular sedan?

Town Sedan rear doors are hinged in the front and siwng open same as the front door..the physical length of the cars are the same as best I know, the front door is larger than a standard 4 door sedan and yet smaller than a coupe...the rear door is also longer than a 4 door sedan. Close inspection will show that the rear door of the town sedan opening is high up on the wheel arch as compared to the standard sedan just infornt of the rear fender...the absense of the quarter glass on the Town Sedan as opposed to the quarter glass on the standard sedan..is a immediate tip off to the Town Sedan body..

another added note of the Town Sedan is the placement of an arm rest on the rear door panels.

You guys are all over it, huh? A lot of really knowledgable guys on here. The dash knobs appear to be black...and by that I mean, most of them are black, it appears as though a couple of them have been replaced with brown knobs. The manual back-up light would make sense, I do have the single large back up light on the rear Drivers side. I believe that the town sedan (which this is) is actually a D-30, atleast that what the guy who sold it to me said.

Today I pulled the windshield panels out, I'm gonna get a couple of new ones cut, as well as the drivers and pass. windows. BUT, when I went to time the engine today, I realized that my carburator butterfly is not connected to anything...it's always wide open. I snapped a photo, so I could post it and see if anyone could tell me where the missing linkage needs to go to/from...THANKS!!!

carb.jpg

number one, you have some aftermarket carb on there..it is not a stocker....and as the model..it is a D24C..and as you have the black knobs..it is a TOWN SEDAN SPECIAL... please take a minute to list your accessories...does this unit have twin heaters? Is there an electric gas cap on thjis car. Look at the very lower curve of the dash left of the column and see if there is a small black push button switch there...

The switches, from left to right, are throttle, heater fan, temp control, ignition, defrost, heater fan, lighter...there is no switch under the dash, however there is a hole about an inch to the left of the column, and some stuff hanging under the dash.

The carburator says

Rochester Made in

MonoJet USA

GM

There's a "20" stamped on top and a "1.31" stamped on the side of it

can I just take a moment to say that you guys are absolutley amazing, all the knowledge on this forum is absolutely INCREDIBLE

I believe Dodge had a two blower heater system One heat exchanger but seperate blowers for driver and passenger. Who says dual climate control is a new deal?????

Your carburetor is incorrect for your car. It should have a Stromberg I believe. There are a couple threads about automatic chokes and Dodge carb versions. Use the seach feature to find them. Just a reminder if you are new to Dodge and Fluid drive, when you car is parked, because of the non mechanical connection between the engine and the transmission, the car does not have normal in gear compression braking to hold it on inclines. So make sure your parking brake works and or you chock the tires.

If you want to know what the deal is with Fluid Drive, take a trip to the ALL PAR site and doe a transmission search. Chrysler Corp applied the fluid drive tag to many different transmissions. The Dodge version is usually a fluid coupling withthe clutch mounted to it then a standard thre speed transmission. To see if you have it. Put the car on level ground with it idling, put it in 3rd gear and let out the clutch. the car should start to move. then accelerate to about 20 mph. without declutching use the brake pedal to stop the car. after the stop, release the pedal and drive away. This system was sold to folks who didn't want to shift and was sold as precursor to the automatic trans. You can also drive it just like a regualar three speed also.

The fluid drive deal was not a torque converter, it supposidly provides a 95% power transfer. I learned to drive on my dad's 54 Dodge with this deal. never stalled the car once. He used to leave it in second for city driving.