New Member in Scotland

Good evening all, new member here in sunny Scotland who has just purchased a 1941 Chrysler Windsor C28W with a 318 and 904 trans

Still a few bits to do to get it on the road, just putting together a list just now.

Are there any other cars the same in the U.K.? 
Apologies in advance for the questions that will no doubt be coming up.

First one is the front mounting bracket for the bonnets…..it has no bolts in it and has a big gap between it and the panel it should bolt to….is there something else, or a spacer supposed to go between it and the panel below? 

Welcome aboard Scotty. You are in a good place for help and info. Not from me today though...my ride is '30s era. We all like pics though, if you can master how to post those here. Hope you enjoy your step into mopars!!

• Thanks 1

There is a very active group of Chrysler  Corp cars in  England. Robin Weathersby on this forum organizes couple events for the group.  If he doesn't chime in to this thread, send him a PM.  Welcome aboard, good luck with your project.  Is the hood a 2 piece fold toward the center, or a the fire wall mounted assembly that opens from the front?Post up some pictures of what you are dealing with.

Edited by greg g
  • Like 1

Cheers for the info all, the car may be known to some of you, came into U.K. in 2016, was owned by someone in Bishop Auckland then went to Glasgow.

previous owner thought it was New Yorker, I reckon it’s defo a Windsor….was a straight 6 and says ‘Windsor’ on front wings.

I’m working my way thru it, finding what parts I need etc.

Need to know what’s meant to be in the gap in front bonnet mount, spacer etc? 

Reg is VXS 128

IMG_3834.jpeg

IMG_3758.jpeg

IMG_3837.jpeg

On 7/26/2024 at 3:33 PM, greg g said:

There is a very active group of Chrysler  Corp cars in  England. Robin Weathersby on this forum organizes couple events for the group.  If he doesn't chime in to this thread, send him a PM.  Welcome aboard, good luck with your project.  Is the hood a 2 piece fold toward the center, or a the fire wall mounted assembly that opens from the front?Post up some pictures of what you are dealing with.

Hi there, cheers for the reply, I’ll hit up Robin and say hi. It’s the butterfly bonnet model, which I believe was ‘41 only 👍

On 7/27/2024 at 8:31 AM, normanpitkin said:

welcome aboard! I have stock 41 Windsor convertible ,owned for 7 years and all original ,drop me a line if you need anything!

Brilliant, thanks for the reply…I will no doubt have some silly questions for you in the near future.

A reminder for the new people or those who haven’t read the forum rules in a while: Request for specific parts or offers for the same need to be made in the ad section.

For long time members, the request made for some specific parts would have resulted in the post being deleted. Since the member is still pretty new, I edited the post instead.

If you have a part and would like a person to know about it, send them a PM. @normanpitkin took the correct approach by indicating they might have some parts that would help and writing “drop me a line if you need anything”. If you need something the and hope someone has it, you can PM them.

• Thanks 1

Scottish 41 Windsor, 

The pieces you are talking about it the hinge strip and mounting blocks. The blocks and hoods (or bonnets) have grooves that correspond to this strip. The strip is closed on the back side and open at the front. The rear short block slides on first towards the back, then both hoods followed by the front taller block. The blocks bolt to the firewall and the cowl and support the "floating hoods" allowing them to open independently from either side. Let me know if you need some reference photos.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chry41 said:

Scottish 41 Windsor, 

The pieces you are talking about it the hinge strip and mounting blocks. The blocks and hoods (or bonnets) have grooves that correspond to this strip. The strip is closed on the back side and open at the front. The rear short block slides on first towards the back, then both hoods followed by the front taller block. The blocks bolt to the firewall and the cowl and support the "floating hoods" allowing them to open independently from either side. Let me know if you need some reference photos.

Hi there, thanks for the reply.

The front and rear brackets are already fitted, the rear is bolted down to the firewall but the front one is hanging in mid air, with a decent gap to the panel below…..wondering if there should be a spacer in there. 

IMG_3834.jpeg

Dunno if this is any help but my Oz 1940 Dodge is based on the USA 1940 Plymouth & uses the same style of hood/bonnet and from the pics you show I agree that there seems to be something missing on the front area where the hood hinge bolts on.......however my car just has the front hinge bracket bolted directly onto the radiator surround........from your pic I would think that you appear to need a "spacer".......BUT..............when you gently close either side of the hood does the hinge barcket touch the radiator surround?...........IF SO, then I'd suggest that the bracket WILL actually bolt onto the radiator surround using a bolt with 1/4" UNC thread and 7/16th SAE or AF head size as my car uses........this is the only pic I have showing the area similar to your car, note the 2 threaded holes at the top of the radiator surround....same as yours....my cars bonnet hinge bolts directly onto these holes.........Andy Douglas  

P1000417.JPG

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Chry41 said:

Scottish 41 Windsor, 

Hi there, some reference photos would be most useful, as either my bracket is too short or it needs a spacer machined.

10 minutes ago, joecoozie said:

image.png.9e9e4521ba243ed351d6760912076a6b.png

image.png.af9e86e269383e9de57c7da582b205ff.pngimage.png.af9e86e269383e9de57c7da582b205ff.png

That’s totally bizarre, I found this self same car advert some 15mins ago.

i can see from the pics that the legs on the front bracket are twice as long as mine.

mine looks like the front bracket is the same as the rear one, which looks to be incorrect.

i will fashion up a spacer whilst I try to source the correct bracket….many thanks for taking the time to help me out, it is very appreciated 👍

IMG_3903.png

• Thanks 1

You are correct, the forward block has a taller base. Looks like someone used a rear block instead of the forward one. I will locate my set and snap some pictures. As is, my car is undergoing a frame off rotisserie restoration and all my parts are in my garage.

VZM.IMG_20161204_134716.jpg

Scottish 41 Windsor 

The taller block is the one for the front. If you are unable to find the correct one, you could make one out of some solid aluminum stock. Or if you just need it functional, stack washers

20240730_165209_exported_2415.jpg

That’s perfect thank you, I’m measuring a 16mm gap approx. Can you confirm the height difference between the 2 please?

I want to make sure I get the spacer size bang on, as finding one of these will be nigh on impossible. 
My front and rear are exactly the same 🤦‍♂️

Well, I've learnt something new today.....that last pic from Chry41 shows that there is a taller front mount which answers Scottish41's question.........apologies if I just confused the issue.......trust you get it sorted out........regards from Oz......andyd

1 hour ago, andyd said:

Well, I've learnt something new today.....that last pic from Chry41 shows that there is a taller front mount which answers Scottish41's question.........apologies if I just confused the issue.......trust you get it sorted out........regards from Oz......andyd

Every days a school day, took some digging to get to the bottom of it.

All comments and assistance were very helpful, great that you are all so happy to give your time and knowledge to assist….thank you 👍