Installing inner front fenders.

Go to solution Solved by wallytoo,

It's been awhile since I have taken this truck apart ..... same time I was taking everything apart so not sure if I removed the front fender first or what I did.

Seems like others with their cars they just remove the front tire and unbolt the inner fender and pull it out.

I remember watching one of @keithb7  video on adjusting valves and was a non issue .... thinking his 38 Chrysler does not have a straight axle front end though.

I'm just not seeing A way to get it past the shock mount without removing the shock /mount then installing the inner fender then re-install the shock & mount.

Is this the proper way for trucks? ..... Guess I'm going to try it and see, just not sure thats what others do.

I can't speak about trucks, but my 1938 Plym has a solid I-beam front axle. The inner fender window comes out and I have great access to the valve cover.

Maybe post a photo or two of your inner fender, while the front wheel is removed. It would give me an idea exactly what you are seeing and trying to deal with.

Thanks Keith, this is what I'm looking at ..... I worked on it for awhile last night and gave up on it.

Tried again this morning and only way I can see it is the fender needs to go behind the shock ..... I have tried to lift it up through the hood but can not get high enough to get over the shock.

I have tried to put the bottom in first to get it past the shock & swing it up.

I have tried to sneak it in anyway I can think of ...... I'm not very good at jigsaw puzzles either.

I got snookered into taking the wife to the grocery store so no chance to remove the shock mount yet ..... going to try that now so can move forward.

IMG_20240225_150734.jpg.0df7bac7d360603c40f57d2365fe5d1b.jpg

8 minutes ago, wallytoo said:

from what i recall, i installed mine from inside the hood, not from the wheel side.  are you trying to install it from the wheel side?

Yes sir I am, I never tried from the top through the hood. You can see in the photo I would need to shorten the fender 5" to get it past the core support and radiator. No way I can turn it sideways and slip it in.

I dunno about your big truck with the 25" engine ..... no way mine is going through the top ..... because I'm not restoring my truck, just repairing it .... I never took the shock mounts off the frame so I'm working on taking out the 75 year old bolts. ..... One of those days just not getting a lot done.

IMG_20240225_165504.jpg.1f93562f2a9fa3b5e589210ed72385f8.jpg

6 minutes ago, wallytoo said:

i thought you were asking about the inner fender, not the fender itself.

Here is exactly where I'm at, trying to get the inner fender installed.

IMG_20240225_172918.jpg.308b435c8450e18191efeab571ecec4a.jpg

I think it should go in through the wheel well, no way it is going through the top .... I'm certain now I'm just going to have to remove the shock mounts to get it in.

I was hoping they would just slide in with the wheels out of the way .... not going to happen.

Same time I'm just physically worn out for today and need rest ... I have a big week ahead of me.

I can spend a hour or two on it in the morning ..... No matter what this truck needs to move tomorrow and I have to replace all the bearings in my rear end of my daily driver using these jack stands and this space.

Just would be nice to get them in while it was on jack stands and not out in the gravel driveway ....  they sure want to fight me though.

Thanks @JBNeal .... and it took 23 seconds for @48Dodger to show how it is done !

I'm still scratching my head because I saw no way to get it out of the top ....

While I do have a aftermarket aluminum radiator, I'm using the factory brackets & mounting holes to install it.

I'm going to have to take a better look at it tomorrow. And flip the hood all the way over, not just propped up.

That video is me. I didn’t have a YouTube channel at the time, so Tim posted it on his and shared it on the forum. 

Yes, the inner fenders come out, and in, through the top. It’s a tight fit, and you will need to wiggle it around to find the right angles. Be careful though. I ended up scratching the paint on the firewall a little bit. 

Thanks @Merle Coggins for taking time to post the video .... truly was just what I needed for me to install mine. And Tim for the teamwork of posting it.

I was just too stubborn to believe they went through the top .... seeing how you had the hood fully raised and went straight in and not at a angle.

The drivers side went pretty good, the passenger side was really fighting me because of the heater hose connection at the firewall.

Removing the hose would have gave me the room I needed .... or taking 3 bolts out of the fender worked also.

I just flushed and installed fresh antifreeze a couple months ago and did not want to deal with draining it. Fender was easier at this stage.

I apologize to @wallytoo for not believing it could go in the top ..... Guess I'm a little slow and need to be shown.