Oil Catch Cans

oldodge41

Any opinions on oil catch cans? Beneficial or snake oil? I'm on the fence. For a direct injection engine I think they may be beneficial to keep the valves and intake clean. On a single or multi port injected or carburetor fed engine it could probably be a bit of a band-aid for an oil consumption issue causing buildup in the intake and on the valves. I have a 5.0 Coyote F150 and the forums over there are also split on the issue. No, I don't have one, but sometimes think about adding one. I don't think it could hurt, unless it were to freeze up from trapped condensation in the winter and either break or plug the vacuum for the pcv. It is definitely adding a maintenance item. You have to monitor and drain it, although I have read about a BMW system that returns trapped oil back to the crankcase automatically. Not sure I like that either though. Just something else to think about on a grey December day.

7 minutes ago, DonaldSmith said:

I've heard "catch as catch can", but what is a "catch can"?

internet is your friend....lol  with three words (oil catch can) instead of the sentence above you would have had you answer.....not judging or anything of the sort but for real, best info can be found in a well written white paper on the subject and the answers are just a second or two in time from you knowing.  

I kind of look at it this way as long as the hose connecting my PCV to the carburetor doesn't have oil in it I don't need to catch can. If it does have oil in it I probably need better baffling in my valve cover

Edited by Sniper
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I put a different kind of catch can on my motorcycle. It’s more of a little vial, really.

Every time I ride it and park it, she pukes out one drop of oil from the water pump weep tube.