Highway Hi-Fi

billrigsby

ON THIS DAY (68 YEARS AGO)

October 12, 1955 - Chrysler introduced hi-fidelity record players, mounted under the dashboard in their 1956 model cars. Their seven-inch vinyl discs spun at 16 2/3 RPM. Sets of 35 classical recordings were available that provided 45 to 60 minutes of uninterrupted music for Chrysler drivers. The players were discontinued in 1961.

Following is the Chrysler press release introducing the record player:

DETROIT - - Highway Hi-Fi, a record player that provides music and speech as you go, has been developed exclusively for the 1956 Chrysler Corporation cars.

This novel addition to the pleasures of highway travel, specially designed by CBS Laboratories as an accessory for Plymouth, Dodge, DeSoto, Chrysler, and Imperial, was introduced today at the press preview of Chrysler Corporation's new cars at the company's Engineering Proving Grounds....

Highway Hi- Fi plays through the speaker of the car radio and uses the radio's amplifier system. The turntable for playing records, built for Chrysler by CBS-Columbia, is located in a shock-proof case mounted just below the center of the instrument panel. A tone arm, including sapphire stylus and ceramic pick up, plus storage space for six long-play records make up the unit.

Using a new principle of design worked out by CBS Laboratories, the player and position of the stylus on a record are not affected by the angle of a car, its highway speed, or even severe cornering. Tests demonstrate it is extremely difficult to jar the arm off the record or even make the stylus jump a groove.

The special records also developed by CBS Laboratories, are seven inches in size, transcribed on both sides, and pressed especially for Chrysler by Columbia Records. They give up to 45 minutes of music and up to one full hour of speech per side, A collection of six disks will be presented to customers with each player.

387084217_761272022678011_2143828182447755071_n.jpg.f352324d30a5c3d01608999cf22a2a66.jpg

• Thanks 1

Unique they were, but some things were meant to be surpassed......while novel at the time....I also know as an option its the cat's meow....but that is as far as I give it credence.  That along with the 8 track and now the cassette is long since surpassed...heck, radio is a useless device unless it is Sirius.  DVD's are going to go away in favor of USB and flash memory cards, and then that is today old school IF you have a smart phone.   

I was just a kid of 8 or so years old, but I remember my Dad bought, used of course, a sharp looking, white Desoto, that had swivel seats and a record player.  I didn't remember him having it very long. Years later I asked him about it. He said it had a "big engine" and wasn't practical for him, but it was too good a deal to pass up. A guy in the next town wanted it for the big engine so he traded it to him for another car, a blue and white four door Desoto, and some cash. I remember both cars. The white one was a beauty. Dad didn't remember exactly which engine it was, just it was too big to be practical for a family car because it cost too much to fuel it. I wish I would have written down a lot of old car info my Dad shared with me.

On 10/17/2023 at 1:45 PM, Plymouthy Adams said:

radio is a useless device unless it is Sirius.

Sirius gives nothing local.  While out and about for work I usually have the company truck on Sirius.  At home or in the garage?  FM, unless I am listening to a local sports game, then AM.  Local news, local weather local events, not on Sirius.