Long intro, couple questions

daddyo23

I thought I should introduce myself, since I've been on this site for awhile.

My name is Wayne Peterson. I live in southern Minnesota and got bit by the "Old Plymouth Bug" last year. I came across a '51 Cranbrook that was solid and straight but had been sitting for eighteen years. It took a few months over winter to massage the motor back to life and redo the brake system, but I got her on the road this past summer. Put 1400 miles on, including a 489 mile round trip to Brainerd for the NHRA Summernationals in 98 degree heat::eek: Went through some oil, as the rings never did quite re-seat. From sitting so long, the motor needed a re-build. The interior was original, that had to be done along with paint. I can do mechanical fine, paint and body I don't have the patience for. About three weeks ago, I came across a '48 Special Deluxe 4-door sedan. Decent shape, have a couple of wiring issues and needs some clean-up but not bad. Hence, my questions.

I just got a #802 radio from a reliable source who said it does work. I put it in and all I get is HUMMMMMMM. Couple the speaker not be grounded? I noticed two mounting screws for the speaker are missing. Will take care of that tomorrow. Is there a fm converter you can use on a six volt, pos. ground system? I also will be doing a disc brake set-up, along with some performance items. In closing, I have found this site and the people on here very helpful, informative, and all around decent folk. Thanks, Wayne P.

post-1459-13585346514243_thumb.jpg

Welcome to the site Wayne. Good looking '48, nice find there.

Don't know much about #802 radios as have not worked on one myself. There are several people on this site who should be able to answer your questions.

Another P-15 owner David Maxwell posted a link to an fm converter he is using in his car and I saved the link. He had a thread about this several months back, may want to search for it.

Here's the link to the part: http://www.casmfg.com/Accessories.htm

I have a friend who is into old radios, he says his experience shows that most problems with our old radios is the vibrator. In a seemingly counter intuitive process the vibrator takes DC from the cars electrical system and changes to simulate AC to power the radio. the hum is the vibrator doing its thing. Unfortunately after 60 years, id doesn't produce the type of power the radio can use. Here is a site you might like to check out.

http://www.radiodaze.com/auto_vibrator-FAQ.htm

There is a company that will put new modern guts into the old case and allow FM reception. Before you get excited about repairing the old one have you listened to AM radio lately???????

The radio has capacitors to filter out the hum if it does not clear up after a few minutes they will need to be replaced. There is a small one on the generator which may need to be replaced. If that does not clear it up then then there are some in the radio that will need to be replaced. As I recall the vibrator converts dc to ac as Greg pointed out but it is the capacitors that filter out the hum.

Below is a link to a sams drawing I have on my website someone here,sorry I forgot who had scanned and posted a while back its in a PDF format and is a slow connect take a few minutes to load on my computer I also have a link to the radio manual from the Pilothouse web site.

http://oldmopar.com/radio.html

Thanks for the info. The '51 had the same setup, so I did let it warm up. I'll have to check on the regulator if there is a condenser still on it. I would really like to put a fm/xm radio in. That link to radiodaze looks like the ticket, thanks.

Ed, I didn't mention the '51 because Jack bought it. I let him have it too cheap, but, he'll get it back to showoom condition. I don't have the money, time, or room for more than one car right now. Plus, the wife doesn't have

quite the excitement for old cars as I do (go figure). Anyway, I'd like to keep it six volt for now. I'm a toolman and I see many car guys in my travels. Everybody has an idea for my car. If I do anything, I may go with the standard hop-ups, i.e. dual carb, split exhaust, maybe a grind on the cam. I'd just like to get the car to handle highway speed without keeping the rpm's up there . Any advice will be appreciated. Wayne P.

Wayne,

Welcome to the group. I also struggled with a radio for a while, and now I have two of them and they may be a winter project. However in the meantime, I found a source for a 6v to 12v inverter from this list. Works great and while I did add a switch, it doesn't seem to draw any power while not in use.

1. I did get a reasonable cost inverter($55.00 plus shipping)

http://www.casmfg.com/Accessories.htm manufacturer

http://www.rgclassictunes.com/ supplier

2. I now have power for my CB and for my GPS

3. I have a fake plate where the radio should go.

4. I now have a am/fm radio in the glove box wired to the dash speaker

I really can't hear anything at highway speed, but around town it works like a charm.

Dennis Sullivan

Monticello, MN

post-270-13585346515951_thumb.jpg

post-270-1358534651633_thumb.jpg

Wayne, I used a 90 Dakota pick up rear end in my car. Moved the spring perches and reinstalled in about three hours. Had to have the driveshaft changed for the rear yoak. The rear end can be had in 3.55:1 which I have and 3.33:1 I have been told. The 3.55:1 still lets the engine wind pretty high at 70 mph. I plan on installing a T-5 from an S10 in the manner that Don Coatney did. Don has a 3.5:1 rear and cruises 70 mph at 2200 rpm.

If and when looking about for a Dakota rear gear be advised that they do come in 7 1/4 and the 8 1/4 version..the 7 1/4 has axle tubes that are 2.5 inches at the inner end and 3 inches at the outer end..and the 8 1/4 has 3 inch tubes at both ends. Quick glance shows the cover plate on the 8 1/4 cover being oval with large rounder corners..the 7 1/4 are dog earred at the corners.

Dakota gearing is available in 2.94;(early) 3.21; 3.55; and 3.90 in 8 1/4 rings

and 3.55; and 3.90 in 7 1/4 rings.

...6 volt to 12 volt inverter/booster. They come in either 6 volt neg or 6 volt pos. ground, so you'll need to specify. I have heard warning about them getting really hot, but I've run mine for extended periods of time at high output with great results and not so much heat I couldn't put my hand on the booster. I run a hidden CD/MP3 player in the glovebox in addition to my stock 802 which works fine, but as someone mentioned, there ain't much on AM radio anymore.

Hey Dave...........So, where did you get your inverter? And did ya ever get that truck that you bought back east to SM? Still plan on making a trip there pretty soon...visit some friends and family. Hope to take the Dodge if possible.

...6 volt to 12 volt inverter/booster. They come in either 6 volt neg or 6 volt pos. ground, so you'll need to specify. I have heard warning about them getting really hot, but I've run mine for extended periods of time at high output with great results and not so much heat I couldn't put my hand on the booster. I run a hidden CD/MP3 player in the glovebox in addition to my stock 802 which works fine, but as someone mentioned, there ain't much on AM radio anymore.

http://www.casmfg.com/Accessories.htm

Looks like the truck deal isn't going to work out. First, I couldn't find anyone to bring it out here because of its size. The only places that were even willing to talk about it, began the dialog with "potential quotes" so high it didn't make sense. On top of that, my friend that was going to keep it at his yard for me, lost his lease and can't do it. That means I'd have to take it to my lot in Tehachapi before it was running which would mean even more shipping costs. Then I wouldn't have the facilities or tools handy to work on it. Had I known there would be such and issue with the truck's size, I would have never even considered it. Live and learn again I guess.

little update..ratios available for the 8 1/4

Chrysler 8.25"Ring & Pinion Part Numbers

OEM# Teeth Ratio

3837580 46-17 2.71

3837581 47-16 2.94

3837582 45-14 3.21

3838583 39-11 3.55

3837584 39-10 3.90

Drivetrain doctors sells both the 4.10 and 4.56 ratio if needed

C8.25-410 41-10 4.10

C8.25-456 41-9 4.56

I know what you mean Dave.....a few months ago I was looking at a 38 or 39 chevy coupe back east. From the info I got from the seller and what I could see from the picks he sent, it was in really nice shape...had a straight axle up front and was small block ready, camaro rear diff, interior done not too long ago. Just no motor and trans.....and I thought all was good...Until I started talking to transporters, and requesting quotes online...Man, then my inbox became swamped with quotes, warnings on what to watch for by certain transporters, brokers warnings....and of course, since it didn't run, that was going to be between $200 & $400 more. And the seller was even going to get the car to a transport for me within 50 miles.....but none of the brokers or transport companies would commit to when the car would be picked up or delivered to me. I just plain chickened out! I figure there has to be something closer that won't be such a nightmare just to get it home.

http://www.casmfg.com/Accessories.htm

Looks like the truck deal isn't going to work out. First, I couldn't find anyone to bring it out here because of its size. The only places that were even willing to talk about it, began the dialog with "potential quotes" so high it didn't make sense. On top of that, my friend that was going to keep it at his yard for me, lost his lease and can't do it. That means I'd have to take it to my lot in Tehachapi before it was running which would mean even more shipping costs. Then I wouldn't have the facilities or tools handy to work on it. Had I known there would be such and issue with the truck's size, I would have never even considered it. Live and learn again I guess.

Hey Dave...........So, where did you get your inverter?

Splat, here's the one I went with. Costs a little more that some others, seems to be good quality. It's internally switched so it only turns on when there is a demand for 12 volt and turns off with the ignition key. Puts out 6 amps. I hooked mine to a triple lighter outlet. I run an XM boombox, LED interior map light, some other stuff. The only 12 volt item I have that it will not power is a 12 volt siren. And as far as I can tell it's made in the good old U. S. of A.

http://www.pressenter.com/~cmeyer/index.html

Hey, thanks Norm.....Yeah, that's the one I had an interest in. I'd gotten the link to it here some weeks ago...but then lost it. Glad you reposted it. So, do you think I'd have a problem with a CD player, Changer and a few speakers? I'm not talking about a separate amp or big bass speakers...but maybe 4 decent size speakers. I'd really like to go with something like this just to have a few of the luxuries I'm missing.

Hey Dave...........So, where did you get your inverter?

Splat, here's the one I went with. Costs a little more that some others, seems to be good quality. It's internally switched so it only turns on when there is a demand for 12 volt and turns off with the ignition key. Puts out 6 amps. I hooked mine to a triple lighter outlet. I run an XM boombox, LED interior map light, some other stuff. The only 12 volt item I have that it will not power is a 12 volt siren. And as far as I can tell it's made in the good old U. S. of A.

http://www.pressenter.com/~cmeyer/index.html

Hey Wayne....relatively new member here too......welcome. Great bunch of folks here! I like your ride....I'm a '48 4 dr driver too, Dodge. I would love to find a used visor reasonably priced....anyway, again, welcome aboard.

Norm....I'll have to pull the radio out of the closet. Bought it for my wife 6 years ago for her Mazda.....we traded it in right after we moved up here....so it was probably only a year old when it got pulled out before we traded....I've been hoping to be able to use it in something......and with that inverter, the Dodge might just be the ticket! I'll have to read the manual and see what it draws, changer and head unit.