1941 Dodge Business Coupe front windshield removal & install

41RogueCoupe

How do you remove the chrome trim that goes around the front windshield without bending it all up?

I can't seem to figure out how the trim come off around the lip it's attached to on the front exterior windshield surround. 

As you can see the original seal is falling out of my 41' Coupe and is petrified. It's the only thing barely holding the windshield glass in. 

I am missing/looking for the windshield division bar and interior garnish that holds the glass in if anyone knows or has one. 

I am hoping to find that and other things at the Hersey Fall Fleamarket this October. 

windowtrim.jpg

Here is a Google search of the forum (much better search engine than the forum search button) about windshield replacement:

https://www.google.com/search?q=site%3A+p15-d24.com+replace+windshield&oq=site%3A+p15-d24.com+replace+windshield&aqs=chrome..69i57j69i58.18609j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Here is a particular thread from that search that you may find useful:

https://p15-d24.com/topic/33297-p15-windshield-replacement/

You do have a Service manual, right?

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=11042188&cc=1486110&pt=10335&jsn=496

Edited by Sam Buchanan
  • Like 1

41Rog..........I can't help re the outside stainless trim piece as Oz cars didn't have this but regarding the centre division piece good luck in finding one as they are a diecast piece that is prone to cracking & breaking......I ended up making a new one out of brass..........I used two pieces of brass......the 1st was a piece of brass bar 1" wide by  1/2" thick and the length of the centre piece.........I cut it lengthways to the overall side profile......I then used another piece of brass bar, 3/8" square that I cut to the tapered width to fit between the glass and rubber centre seal then drilled & tapped the 4 holes that the inner molding used to attach the centre bar...........I then soldered the 2nd piece to the 1" wide piece and after various adjustments had the piece rechromed.

......All this was done 45yrs ago when I was young & silly using a fine toothed blade in a hacksaw, a flat bastard file, a half round file and lots of effort then getting it chromed and the nice chromed brass centre piece has remained in perfect condition since........many people have asked how come I have a perfect centre windscreen bar when theirs is cracked & broken........lol.........well I say........lol.........this is what you have to do......good luck with yours....Andy Douglas. 

Wscreen 6.jpg

Wscreen 1.jpg

Wscreen 4.jpg

Edited by andyd
more info.
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, andyd said:

Wow Andyd, for making the center bar yourself it looks amazing! I will place an order to have you make one :)

You could make a killing offering these custom-made bars in the community! 

Wow Andyd, for making the center bar yourself it looks amazing! I will place an order to have you make one :)

You could make a killing offering these custom-made bars in the community! 

Thanks for all the replies and info gang. I have to admit the windshield replacement has me nervous and I guess will have to be a learning process. I just don't want to mess it up.

I bought the new seal, which is not one piece, which I wish it was, but the thing I am trying to wrap my head around is how do you hold the two pieces of glass together with just the seal around and center seal strip in to place it in the car? 

46 minutes ago, 41RogueCoupe said:

I bought the new seal, which is not one piece,

I started out with the "not one piece" gasket and ended up cracking one of the new pieces of glass.  The local glass company that cut the pieces for me gave me a discount on another new piece.  Ended up ordering the one piece Steel Rubber gasket from Bob's classic auto glass for less than Steel sells them.  Second time worked and all is good.  Sometimes it costs a little more than you think it will.  

2 minutes ago, Kilgore47 said:

That is my biggest fear is cracking/breaking the windshield. I wish I could take it to someone and say, "here you install it and if you break it you replace it" but there are no shops that are familiar with these old cars, as I would only trust someone who really knew these cars. 

It's really not that hard.  I got in too much of a hurry the first time.  My first choice was to have the local glass company install the windshield.  But they stopped installing windshields.  Many shops have.  The tools to adjust the sensors on new cars are too expensive.  I used the rope method and silicon spray instead of soap.  Having a helper was a must.

1 hour ago, Sam Buchanan said:

For the windshield installation in the '69 Beetle last week I used KY lubricant. Other than some comments from observers it worked very well.....for the windshield.

KY would work well as it is water-based. I use a silicone spray. I have put in all the glass for a 74' SB restoration I did for my son and that was a pain :)

74SBbug2.jpg

Edited by 41RogueCoupe
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, 41RogueCoupe said:

Thanks for all the replies and info gang. I have to admit the windshield replacement has me nervous and I guess will have to be a learning process. I just don't want to mess it up.

I bought the new seal, which is not one piece, which I wish it was, but the thing I am trying to wrap my head around is how do you hold the two pieces of glass together with just the seal around and center seal strip in to place it in the car? 

If you have a shop manual, it will tell you exactly how to replace/install the windshield. A one piece gasket is the best way to go. 

Just use masking tape to hold it all together. Rope it in with the tape around the seal from inside to outside. It will tear as you go along. Then you remove the tape once it is in place. Use erethane to seal it up after it is in. The chromes probably slip into the molding before it is roped in. Once it is in they are locked in for good.