M6 Tailshaft seal doesn't fit

Pauls46P15
Go to solution Solved by Plymouthy Adams,

I am replacing the tailshaft seal on my manual 3 speed transmission on my P15C Club coupe.

The seal I got from Andy Bernbaum is part number T134 with cotton seal on one end and rubber seal on the other end all in a metal case.

This seals inner id is too small to fit on the e-brake drum inner shaft that fits over the tailshaft splines. this seals od is a little oversize with the tail shafts inner diameter but looks like will probably fit when tapped into the tailshaft housing.

The other seal that Andy Bernbaum sent me was part number T134A. This seal is in a metal case with a rubber seal on both ends but with a protruding ridge on one side of its case.

Its inner diameter fits perfectly on the e-brake drum inner shaft but the seals outer diameter is visibly smaller than the tailshafts housings inner diameter and doesn't even touch the inner diameter by about an 1/8 of a inch.

Do I have a mix of tailshaft housing and e-brake drums or is the T134 part number seal just going to stretch its inner diameter to accomodate the e-brake durm inner shaft?

I am confused. I did originally try installing a T134 seal from Andy Bernbaums origiinally and I failed to seal the tailshaft and mainshaft adequately.

• Solution

what did Bernbaum have to say about this besides, sorry send it back or shazam we sent the wrong part.    My speedline can only supply the mopar number,  670 752  (neopreme without felt)

this is the cross I found

Performance Part

Superseded Part Number
Country/Region of Manufacture
United States

OE/OEM Part Number
670752, 1486096, 1550929

Interchange Part Number
Victor 49318, Victor 49075, Trostel A85037S, Trostel A48074S, Chicago Rawhide 15620, National 471827

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

Get a set of calipers out and take some measurements of the parts.  Hunting seals to fit starts with shaft size, then OD size, bearing in mind a couple of thousandths difference in bore size for a press fit, then thickness, then type of seal construction.

Did the old seal have a part number still on it?  Almost an unwritten law prying seals out will always destroy the original part number location as well as some other quirks the parts people see often when customers bring in a seal in hand for replacements..

I received the T134A part first as the T134 part I ordered this time, this is the smaller id one with the metal ridge on one side of the seal case. I sent them a pic of what they sent me and they said this was not the part and  they sent me the T134 part with the cotton on one end. This is more like the T134 I recieved previously and I wrecked it when trying to put it in about a half a year ago. It had so much cotton on one end that I removed some of the cotton at that time and tried to install it. I don't recall seeing any numbers off of the seal that came with the transmission originally.

The part number of the sealsI received were T115 the one with cotton on one side of the seal, and T115A the one with the metal ridge on one side of the case.

The T115A is coming under being used on the 1947 Dodge Truck, Desoto.Sorry for the confustion.

I’m a little confused. Your title is M6 seal yet you have a Plymouth correct? Are you ordering based on the M6 or the Plymouth? The M6 is the semi auto trans and is completely different from the manual 3 speed. I’m not trying to be smart just clarifying what you need.

A seal used in a M6 may also be used on a Plymouth or on a truck.  You need to give Bernbaum dimensions to get the right seal.  He will have the dimensions of the seals he has regardless of what number he assigned to them.  That felt or cotton part of the seal needs to be lubricated when it's installed.  Rotating it when installing will help reduce damage to the felt.

You would think Burnbaum's would know to send the correct seals after 50 years of selling them for these old MoPars.

as is typical of many companies, and I will not arbitrary say this includes this site, but the drive to secure the lowest cost for the highest back pocket monies is the trend, where source is default to the lowest bidder/supplier.  And I am not sure of the QA and if this seller actually will take a product out of the box and randomly check it against the specifications.  I know I have had less than good service and the owner simply cared less if the item worked or not, send it back, and at your cost despite the fact it was stated as correct by the seller, confirmed and assured 100% correct by a phone call before ordering only to get a piece of generic garbage no where close to a fit.   Sad to say but it seems the sale was more important than being correct.   Sadly this is not just this seller but most all these days it seems.  

7 hours ago, Doug&Deb said:

I’m a little confused. Your title is M6 seal yet you have a Plymouth correct? Are you ordering based on the M6 or the Plymouth? The M6 is the semi auto trans and is completely different from the manual 3 speed. I’m not trying to be smart just clarifying what you need.

I am not that familiar with all of the special names associated with the manual transmission used on the 6 cylinder. I just thought it was just shorthand for the basic design, which looks like the Borg Warner transmission was used on early Jeeps used in the military. I believe Chrysler Corporation just used this transmission as one of the 'hard parts' in the building of their cars.

On 8/5/2023 at 2:09 PM, Plymouthy Adams said:

what did Bernbaum have to say about this besides, sorry send it back or shazam we sent the wrong part.    My speedline can only supply the mopar number,  670 752  (neopreme without felt)

Performance Part

Superseded Part Number
United States

OE/OEM Part Number
670752, 1486096, 1550929

Interchange Part Number
Victor 49318, Victor 49075, Trostel A85037S, Trostel A48074S, Chicago Rawhide 15620, National 471827

22 hours ago, Doug&Deb said:

I was unaware that the word M6 was specific to the semi auto transmission. I just thought it stood for Manual 6 cylinder.

On 8/5/2023 at 2:09 PM, Plymouthy Adams said:

Performance Part

Superseded Part Number
United States

OE/OEM Part Number
670752, 1486096, 1550929

Interchange Part Number

I found the Trostel pages very helpful in general seal installations. They have really good .pdfs documents from seal lists, seal installation, Type of seals illustrations, and Causes of premature failure. Trostel Oil Seals :: All Seals (allsealsinc.com) https://www.allsealsinc.com/trosel_oil_seals.htyou how to install the sealsml .