OT: Dream comes true

knuckleharley

This is Mopar related,even if it isn't a D-24 or P-15.

My "new" 1933 Plymouth coupe arrives at my house around noon tomorrow. I am 60 years old,and have been wanting one since I was around 13. No,it's not a nice restored car. Missing motor and trans,and needs patch panels and the floor replaced. Still,other than the engine and trans it is 99% complete and the fenders are cherry.

Plans are for either a DeSoto hemi or a 318 with a auto trans and a Dart/Duster rear. I have both. The body will stay dead stock except for the paint.

BTW,if any of you have a dash rail,headlights,or hood sides for a 1933 Plymouth,please send me a PM and tell me what you want for them.

BTW,here are a couple of photos of my new pride and joy.

lsidebe7.jpg

rrearmq7.jpg

topfrontsp6.jpg

All I have to say is this.

That's a neat looking project.:D

Well,it's here and it's not quite as nice as the photos,but are they ever?

Nomr,IMHO the 33 Dodge's are prettier because of the fender details and the grilles,but the 33 Plymouth ain't nothing to throw rocks at,either. IMHO these things look just about perfect the way they look when they leave the factory,except for the wheels and tires. I will never understand why people pull the fenders off of them and channel them. I think they look so much better with the fenders. Just add big tires in the rear and little tires up front for a little rake,and there you are.

Congratulations on your new purchase. You are going to have a nice resto-rod by the sound of it. Keep us posted on the project. Brendan.

Thanks,but it will be at least a year before I start on it. I have 3 other projects to finish first,including a 32 Ford 5 window coupe that needs maybe 500 bucks in parts and a couple of weeks labor to finish and be driving. I hope to have some fun driving it and then sell it late next summer to finance the 33 Plymouth coupe rebuild. I can't keep them all,so something has to go. The 33 Plymouth is a keeper,though.

Journey up to Iowa in Oct. and buy that cool 33 Desoto at that estate auction,,,says nothing needed to drive loud and proud. n then you can save about 90 % of the rebuild,,,actually I am jealous,,,I agree those are a COOL old car,,,maybe one of the best. Looks like a rumble seat coupe even,,but me dunt know nuttin!! Enjoy it,,,you waited long enough!!

My first old Plymouth was a 1933 PD coupe with a rumble seat. My daughters cried when I sold it. It had a rebuilt original motor with a 1938 chrysler overdrive. I still miss that car. John

With the overdrive that must have been a nice car to drive. I didn't even know that Chrysler had overdrives back then.

A local guy bought this car and kept the body as he found it. It's his driver. Looks can be deceiving, it sits on a TCI chassis and has a high school shop rebuilt 283 lurking under the hood. Your coupe has the right patina for it.

Nope,my car is going to get the rust removed and it's going to get painted to keep it from coming back.

The overdrive in the coupe worked well except there was no solenoid on the early ones and it used a centrifical clutch to engage it at about 30 mph. The only way to disengage overdrive was to slow down until you got under 30 mph. It was nice with the original 4:38 gear ratio. To install it I had to shorten the driveshaft and modify the shifter. I drove it from Michigan to Toronto at 60-65 mph with no problems. John

<snip>

BTW,if any of you have a dash rail,headlights,or hood sides for a 1933 Plymouth,please send me a PM and tell me what you want for them.

From the photos I'd guess you have a PD. You can verify that by looking at the serial number which should be on the passenger door hinge post.

You will want to know because many parts, including headlights and hood sides, are different between the PC, PCXX and the PD. You can't just get a "1933 Plymouth hood" and expect to have it fit.

From the photos I'd guess you have a PD. You can verify that by looking at the serial number which should be on the passenger door hinge post.

You will want to know because many parts, including headlights and hood sides, are different between the PC, PCXX and the PD. You can't just get a "1933 Plymouth hood" and expect to have it fit.

Yeah,I know. These old Mopars are a LOT more confusing than they need to be.

Mine has the 112 inch wheelbase,so it's a PD. I'd buy a good hood if I ran across one at a reasonable price,but I'm probably going to run the car without a hood so the DeSoto hemi can be seen. It would be nice to have a hood to put on it for road trips,though. That's about the only way you can keep people from screwing with the engine. Even that is no guarantee. I came out of K-Mart one day when I was driving my 39 Ford,and somebody had the hood open,somebody else was looking in the trunk,and somebody's kid was behind the wheel and jumping up and down while making motor noises. I came close to hurting somebody that day. Not so much because of what they were doing,but because of their attitude when I asked then what made them think it was ok to open my hood,truck,and doors. They acted insulted,and like I was the one in the wrong.

Just curious why you want to rod it? :confused: The car you liked so much when you were a kid was likely original and if you rod this car you will lose all the "quaint" quality of an antique car. A rod never feels like an old car based on the ones I've ridden in. If it was my car, which obviously it isn't, I would find original style engine and tranny and do it stock. Just my two cents worth for what they are worth.

[RobertKB wrote: >>Just curious why you want to rod it?<<

I like hot rods,and have zero use for or interest in restored cars.

>> :confused: The car you liked so much when you were a kid was likely original<<

It was painted bright red and had a 394 J-2 Olds engine,a B&M Hydro-Stick transmission,and a Olds rear end. I believe he ran in the B G/C class at the strip. That is "B" class,running on gasoline,and a coupe body.

I also liked my older brothers hot rod Mercury back then,and one neighbors channeled 32 coupe with a Chrysler hemi and 8 carbs,and the Model A coupe a friend of my brother had that was running a Caddy with 6 carbs. This was in 1956,and I was 9 years old. There was another guy running around with a gold 36 Ford 3-window coupe that I liked,but I didn't know who he was.

>> and if you rod this car you will lose all the "quaint" quality of an antique car.<<

An opinion I don't share,unless you change the front suspension and steering.

>> A rod never feels like an old car based on the ones I've ridden in.<<

You have probably only ridden in modern "Street Rods" with Mustang suspensions with chrome plated air in the tires and polished stainless oil. Take a ride in a hot rod and then get back to me.

>>If it was my car, which obviously it isn't, I would find original style engine and tranny and do it stock. <<

No thanks. I'd rather drive a new econo-box than a restored car.

I do like original unrestored cars,though. In fact,I like them best of all. If I'm going to spend big bucks and do all the work to fix one,I'm going to make it safer,faster,and better looking

For example,there was nothing wrong with my 42 Dodge business coupe that two carbs,dual exhausts with glasspacks,15 inch radials,and purple paint couldn't cure.