I hate wiring!!!!!!

casper50

I now have 3 different wiring diagrams for my D24.  1. $17 dollar full color huge, 2 and 3 off of the download part of this site.  All are different to some degree and none show the back of all the switches.  The two downloaded ones show the instrument light switch with 5 wires going into it, unmarked where each hook up.  the ebay one shows 4 and my switch has 3.  My NOS underdash harness has some wire colors that are different from my messed up original.  2nd problem that I see looming is the harness is about 3/4" where it goes through the firewall.  None of my new grommets have holes larger than 3/8.  This is going to go very slowy while I cool down between sessions of trying to decode the whole mess.  I've got some ends identified and the rest labled so that I know where each end of a single wire is but still have to try and find out where about 70% hook up.

IMG_1325.jpg

Edited by casper50

Here is a diagram for your D24 I scanned. I had to scan twice because of the page size. Some diagrams are drawn a with a little more attention to detail. Hope this is helpful ...

Edited by T120
Deleted image
  • Like 1

Just make sure you don't accidentally let all the smoke out of it when installing it,and you will be ok.

who ctreated the loomed wireing harness for you. I am assuming that one of the major wireing companies made it up so they should have provided you with a diagram of where each wire attaches on the car. Also do you have a service manual onyour car. There should be a factory diagram in the repair manual as to where each wire goes.

Rich Hartung

I bought the dash harness NOS.  Didn't come with a diagram in the original box.  I do have a manual it isn't any better than the diagrams that I have.  They all tell me what a wire connects to, just not which connector/stud on say the light switch or the igintion switch.

3 hours ago, casper50 said:

I bought the dash harness NOS.  Didn't come with a diagram in the original box.  I do have a manual it isn't any better than the diagrams that I have.  They all tell me what a wire connects to, just not which connector/stud on say the light switch or the igintion switch.

Please name the manufacturer you bought it from so the rest of us are warned in advance.

When you consider what we pay for items like that,it's past time to start naming names of companies that care so little about their product and customers they don't include something as basic as this.

I bought everything but the underdash harness from Rhode Island Wiring.  I have no problems with the RI wiring at all.  It's very nice quaility, and the diagrams they furnished with it are great.  It's the NOS underdash harness that I bought that didn't come with diagrams that I'm having connection problems with.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, casper50 said:

I bought everything but the underdash harness from Rhode Island Wiring.  I have no problems with the RI wiring at all.  It's very nice quaility, and the diagrams they furnished with it are great.  It's the NOS underdash harness that I bought that didn't come with diagrams that I'm having connection problems with.

Ok,thank you very much for letting us all know that Rhode Island Wiring kits come complete and are a quality product.

Now please tell us who manufactured the underdash wiring harness that did not come with a wiring diagram.

The original harness is so filthy that I can't tell if a wire was green, purple, blue or black, red orange or yellow.  Even under the little outer wrapping that is left.  And the PO removed it by cutting each wire and hauling it out.

38 minutes ago, casper50 said:

I no longer have the original box that it came in.  But the box and harness must be at lease 30 years old.

Ok,thanks. That does make a difference. It may even be a factory Mopar underdash harness.

The various devices have cryptic letters to suggest which wire goes where.  Here's the headlight switch:

headlight switch (3).JPG

A Power wire goes to the end of the circuit breaker. Power may come from a hot post on some other device, like the ignition switch.  "H" goes to the headlight dimmer switch on the floor. "R" goes the tail lights.  "A" goes to the (correction:) to the front fender lights.  Post of the circuit breaker nearest the switch:  automatic door switches and map light switch and to the stop signal switch.  "D" goes to the dash light dimmer switch (ya, I know, dim, dimmer and off). I'll dig up photos of other devices.  Another view of the headlight switch; red wires to stop switch and map light switches:   

headlight switch (1).JPG 

Edited by DonaldSmith

Ammeter:  

Post near the left end of the dash:  (right side of photo, wires hidden from view) Power from same starter solenoid post as the (-) cable from the battery.  Power wire to the cigar lighter, so that the lighter does not draw through the ammeter.

The other post of the ammeter is power to various places:  White wire to the headlight switch circuit breaker.  Black wire back to the voltage regulator (or to the alternator if the generator was replaced.)  Brown wire to the always-hot post of the ignition switch.  (Added wires, yellow to added headlight relay, various wires to other accessories to be always powered.) 

ammeter and wiring (3).JPG 

Ignition switch: 

COIL: short post, single wire to (-) post of coil. Hot only when key is turned clockwise.  Long post:  Accessories, powered only when the key is turned counterclockwise (or anti-clockwise in the Commonwealth) or clockwise.   The other short post:  Power from the ammeter, always hot; hot power to other devices.

dashboard from below, floor pan removed (7).JPG

That's enough for now.  My head hurts just trying to remember what wire went where.  Ask me about other devices when you get to them. 

2 hours ago, casper50 said:

If the NOS harness is Mopar you might contact Rhode Island Wiring and see if they have a wiring diagram that they could supply for the underdash harness. Isn't their reproduction harnesses color coded the same as OEM.

• Like 1

I would surely have thought that there would be some sort of instructions and schematic with notes that would relate to the buyer the differences between different model wiring and year changes   The D24 was a car with a few options and hopefully the company addressed these in their harness.  My D24 is stock with twin heaters, clock, radio, back up light and electric gas lid to list a few items.  It would be quite disappointing to find the kit did not include provisions for these accessories.

Edited by Plymouthy Adams