Iola 2016

Captain Neon

After a hiatus of over 15 years, I am considering going to Iola this year in July for the big show.  I am considering sharing a campsite, and leaving my vehicle in the general parking lot for the weekend.  I couldn't find anything about overnight parking rules.  Anybody regular attendees know if this OK, or would I get towed?

I am not sure of the rules but you are more than welcome to camp on my hill.  We have electricity and a good clean outhouse on the hill.  Plus a stocked bar!!!  You could use the shop shower if you don't have a shower in your camper.  My land is 20 minutes from Iola.  I might show up Friday or Saturday to park my semi and walk around.

Anyone else is welcome also. 

Let me know your thoughts

• Like 2

Todd-

Thank you for your most generous offer!  I just might take you up on it.  More than likely, I will be tenting it, and a convenient privy and shower are very desirable.  I am still deciding if I can get out that way, but such a generous offer makes it all the more likely!

They have a website and I would call before leaving my car there overnight.  I'll be there, my dad has a couple swap spaces located pretty much in the center, just down from where Midwest Fabrication has a display.

If anybody is going and has some rust free 51-52 dodge coronet front fenders, I'll happily buy them.

• 3 months later...

Just touching base to see if anyone else is planning to go to the Iola [WI] Old Car Show this year (July 7th through 10th).  I'm planning on leaving Saint Michael before noon on the 6th, grabbing lunch in Hudson WI, and then driving the rest of the way that afternoon.  I'll be driving my bone stock '46 more door and cruising about 50 mph.  Current plan is to park in the show car area during the day.  I'll be heading back to Saint Michael in the morning on the 10th.

I just looked up the Iola car show on the net. My stars, that show has cars all over the pastures. And yet I think the Minnesota state fair show dwarfs Iola.

• 3 weeks later...

With just a little over a week away, I just wanted to let y'all know that I am still planning on making the trip.  I've got a few days off from Job #2 this week so will be gathering supplies, doing some vehicle prep, and packing this week in anticipation for the trip.

I want to run over hopefully Friday or Saturday.   There is usually the purple cab-n-half dodge 48-50 truck there.  I also see an orange 51-53 and a few others.  I am not sure if they are active on this site or not. 

Ben,

I still plan on running with you.  are you coming alone or is the better half coming with you. 

I was just looking at the Iola car show webpage to find my classification and they mention "Lead Sleds"  ?

What is that?  Closest I could think was that they must be talking about Fords and didn't want to be racist or whatever the politically correct term for 2016 would be. 

Refers more accurately to the customs of the 50's era.  A lot of lead was used to sculpt the body lines and smooth them out after the cuts and welds were made.  That may have been how the taildragger look started.  As a result of the chops done on them. a lot of lead could have been laid on the car, made the tail end very heavy.  Just guessing on that point but it makes sense to me.

Yep....Lead was an art form before body fillers..... 

google "lead body work", or Bill Hines......

48D

" . . . a lot of lead could have been laid on the car, made the tail end very heavy. ."

Hey 48" is that possibly where the phrase " he's got lead in his arse" originated?

Just touching base to see if anyone else is planning to go to the Iola [WI] Old Car Show this year (July 7th through 10th).  I'm planning on leaving Saint Michael before noon on the 6th, grabbing lunch in Hudson WI, and then driving the rest of the way that afternoon.  I'll be driving my bone stock '46 more door and cruising about 50 mph.  Current plan is to park in the show car area during the day.  I'll be heading back to Saint Michael in the morning on the 10th.

you know if you go again next year or the year after, I might be tempted to caravan with you...

I want to run over hopefully Friday or Saturday.   There is usually the purple cab-n-half dodge 48-50 truck there.  I also see an orange 51-53 and a few others.  I am not sure if they are active on this site or not. 

Ben,

I still plan on running with you.  are you coming alone or is the better half coming with you. 

I'd REALLY appreciate some good pics of that purple 1.5 cab and/or contact info of the builder (if available)  ANYONE going that would be awesome

• 2 weeks later...