Distributor question?

doogan

Well I got my 218 back from the shop after a complete rebuild.  Now it is back on the B1 chassis and will crank up but.......only if I remove the hold down screw from the distributor and turn distributor counter clockwise enough for the screw hole to be covered with the top portion for the distributor slotted mount flange.  I have removed distributor twice and checked the point gap and it is set at 20.  

Again, it will try cranking up with screw holding dist down and adjusted counter clockwise as far as allowed by the slot but just not take off.  Remove the screw and turn the dist a little farther counter clockwise and off she goes. 

Number 1 plug wire is at the 7 o'clock position of the cap.   The engine ran fine before rebuild but smoked. 

Is there something I'm missing or doing wrong?   Firing order 153624, no 1 plug wire at 7 o'clock position on distributor cap all this on a 218 B1 engine.

You've got to either rotate your wires one spot or adjust the major adjuster. If you pull the dist and flip it you'll see that the plate you are having trouble with also rotates on the dist.

Bring #1 up to TDC on the compression stroke and move the #1 spark plug wire to the position of the rotor tip, then re-install your spark plug wires accordingly (1,5,3,6,2,4).  That should get you close.

• Like 1

Jeff has probably hit the nail on the head.  I had the same problem with my engine after it was rebuilt.  I had to pull & reinstall the oil pump about 10 times before I got it indexed correctly.  If all of my plug wires had been long enough, it would have been faster just to move them all one space.

Guys, my engine is all apart, about to go back together.  How will I know if I put the oil pump in the right way?  Is there a notch or mark I nned to be careful of?

From my manual.

Also fill the oil pump with oil before installing.

post-80-0-48424300-1456351545_thumb.jpg

post-80-0-11094700-1456351568_thumb.jpg

post-80-0-69522200-1456351588_thumb.jpg

post-80-0-71361900-1456351603_thumb.jpg

Thanks, this is a great help to me. Now explain to me what does timing have to do with pumping oil. I am sorry but maybe I spent too much time on my '29 AA but I can't imagine pumping oil to the correct timing can help start the motor.

the distributor end fits in the slot on the oil pump shaft.  therefore, it affects where the rotor is pointing.  so if you've placed your plug wires in the same place, but the rotor is different, your engine will be out of time.  that's why moving the plug wires on the cap one position, either clockwise or ccw, may help get your engine to start.

just in case you cannot read the thumbnails,

put the crankshaft at TDC according to the timing mark

hold the oil pump just as you would to install it.  Looking down at the shaft end,  line up the distributor drive slot with the bolt holes

then turn the gear exactly one tooth anti clockwise and install pump.

• Like 1