The Seasons...............They Are Changing

RobertKB

I took the 1948 Dodge D25 Club Coupe out for a run today. I always try to get one of my old cars out more or less daily when the weather is decent, but even more so with my least favourite season just around the corner. We have had a gorgeous and late Indian summer and the weather is forecast to stay decent for a while yet. However, it is cooler and by the colours and the lack of foliage on the trees, it is definitely fall. It is my favourite time of year although it leads to my least favourite.....winter.

Anyway, had the old girl out today for a couple of hours just cruising the back roads and enjoying the day. I won't being doing this in a month or two so I'd better enjoy it while I can. Once the weather does become wintery, guess I will have to dream about the trip to Maui in the New Year.

IMG_0332_zps1uoq7llt.jpg

IMG_0335_zpspqxe16ht.jpg

Edited by RobertKB
  • Like 6

Nice photos, thanks for sharing.  So far Maine is exceeding my expectations, including autumn.  Different trees, different colors.  Apparently we had a good rain at the perfect time to really liven up the fall colors this year.  The red leaves of the maple tree beside my garage rivaled my red trailer.  You have to be Johnny-on-the-spot to get good pictures, tho.  I never seem to have my camera when the light is good, have to work on that.  Attached a few photos, apologies for none featuring our D24, haven't gotten it out much with the trials and tribulations of moving, preparing for our first Maine winter, and going back and forth to Texas to deal with a family crisis. 

This counts a little, the D24 is in this garage.

post-285-0-67011700-1446205130_thumb.jpg

This is on Grand Lake Rd. heading east towards the north entrance to Baxter State Park.  Mtns. in the distance are in the park.

post-285-0-01602600-1446205148_thumb.jpg

This is off of Grand Lake Rd., that's Sugarloaf Mtn. (the one in Mt. Chase Township, there are at least 4 Sugarloaf Mountains in Maine).

post-285-0-69093400-1446205165_thumb.jpg

And this is the Seboeis River.  A 24-mile canoe/kayak Class I-IV river trail starts here.

post-285-0-48176000-1446205184_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Lived in Florida all my life...only time I go up north is to visit relatives for Thanksgiving or Christmas no further than Tennesse tho so the changing of color of the leaves always makes me jealous of the beautiful landscape yall have up north. 

• 2 weeks later...

Two weeks later. We have had our first kiss of winter. Not a lot of snow and the roads did not even need sanding or have chemicals put on. Roads dried within a couple of days. Today was quite cool but the '48 Dodge D25 Club Coupe has a good heater and started easily in its garage. Pictures are taken in the same spot as the ones in the first post of this thread. I hope that more snow and really cold weather is still a ways off so I can keep driving the old cars for a while yet. Due to El Nino, the long range forecast for where I live is predicting a warmer than usual winter with less precipitation (snow) than normal. Let's hope!

IMG_0013_zpsus1tvgio.jpg

IMG_0012_zpsxugkhwoo.jpg

Edited by RobertKB
  • Like 1

Posted this on the truck side Rob, we have not had snow yet except a few flurries blowin in the air, a lot of mist, drizzle and fog. Supposed to be mid 50s temps for the weekend.

Here is something for Jeff and PP, the 2 Californians.

Just took the trusty ole Fargo for a spin, drove into town, drove around town down Main Street etc.

This is not an overly long excursion, maybe 20 miles total.

It is a very dark and cloudy start of the evening, 33f, the odd flurry , and a northwest wind of 11 mph.

Heater is going in the truck, temp is 160 steady, oil pressure is 50-55 on the highway, and 40 at idle.

Highway was driving about 60, lots of commuter traffic, and lots of Deer running around.

Just thought I would let you Guys know, even though it's cold and dark, can still play with the old truck...

Edited by Fargos-Go-Far

• 7 months later...

The seasons keep changing. First few pictures in earlier posts show my '48 Dodge D25 Club Coupe in the fall with and without snow. Pictures below show the same car in the same location but in early summer. Always fun to get the old girl out and about whatever the season.

IMG_0407_zpsvdbkltra.jpg

IMG_0406_zpsvv1jib5c.jpg

Edited by RobertKB
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

It's been nearly a year since my first post in this topic. Summer is over and we are well into fall although most trees still have most leaves left but are changing colour. As mentioned earlier, I will keep driving my old cars until the weather turns to winter. Pictures show my '48 Dodge D25 Club Coupe in the usual place. The day before I had my '63 Ford :eek: Fairlane 500 out to the same location as well as another spot I like to stop. Driving the old cars is what the hobby is about for me and I usually have one out every day when the weather cooperates.

photo IMG_0567_zpsbjo04si1.jpg

photo IMG_0566_zps7mtxds6y.jpg

photo IMG_0564_zpsoxfeoori.jpg

photo IMG_0563_zpsururcpvr.jpg

Edit, and today I took out my last driveable oldie, my 1953 Plymouth Belvedere 4-Door, a Canadian only model. Same location.

photo IMG_0571_zpsj9ic6dcu.jpg

Edited by RobertKB
  • Like 3

My wife and I enjoy watching the humming birds in a feeder outside our breakfast nook window. Like clockwork the first spotting is within 2 days of our anniversary May 14th. The last sighting is normally around the end of September. However this year even though we had 80 degree weather a week ago we have not seen any birds for 2 weeks. Based on this I anticipate  an early and harsh winter. I drive my D-24 at least once a week and will continue to do so until the salt hits the roads. Good news is long time friend just purchased a 7 car garage and told me he would store one of my cars for the winter.

bird.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Don Coatney said:

My wife and I enjoy watching the humming birds in a feeder outside our breakfast nook window. Like clockwork the first spotting is within 2 days of our anniversary May 14th. The last sighting is normally around the end of September. However this year even though we had 80 degree weather a week ago we have not seen any birds for 2 weeks. Based on this I anticipate  an early and harsh winter. I drive my D-24 at least once a week and will continue to do so until the salt hits the roads. Good news is long time friend just purchased a 7 car garage and told me he would store one of my cars for the winter.

bird.jpg

Don, as of yesterday they were still here in Indy, but you guys can get much different weather up there.

4 hours ago, Don Coatney said:

bird.jpg

Don, glad you are well enough to be driving the old car weekly. Hope you are feeling better. It's interesting how we mark the yearly passing of time such as humming birds. Autumn weather does it for me.

Edited by RobertKB
Spelling

Great photos RobertKB and Don I am glad you are doing well also.  The Hummingbirds left here last week.  I can't post photos anymore, the forum moderator tells me I have used up all my space allotted, so no more "Out and about" photos for now.  I also have some nice photos of the "Wayback Machine" by a corn field.  Love your photo with the '63 there RobertKB

Edited by 1940plymouth