Ignition Lock Cylinder for 1940 Plymouth

47heaven

Yes........that will fit.   You will have to find a way to turn the tumbler so you can press down that little round locking button.

Or you can drill it out.        

Then get that new tumbler and key. 

This past weekend I scored on an ignition switch out of a '40 Plymouth that a friend has in his backyard. All I need to do now is clean it up, replace the key cylinder and she should be good to go. 

attachicon.gif20150308_195057.jpgattachicon.gif20150308_195149.jpg

What can I say...I'm cheap. Actually, I'm frugal. If you what to pay that much, more power to you. Actually, I'm trying to stay away from the old electrical parts as much as possible. What is new and behind the dashboard can't be seen anyway.

So..it seems that didn't work too well did it...now to find that lock and key for super cheap...

What can I say...I'm cheap. Actually, I'm frugal. If you what to pay that much, more power to you. Actually, I'm trying to stay away from the old electrical parts as much as possible. What is new and behind the dashboard can't be seen anyway.

So..it seems that didn't work too well did it...now to find that lock and key for super cheap...

Ah, Timmy.....nothing gets past you, does it? Hey, it was free and no one here was able to help me find an aftermarket switch that would fit, so I guess I had to strike while the iron was hot. Correct?

I ran my truck with a toggle switch until the fire. I have the original switch but no key so just left it in place. I rather like the convenience of the toggle.

Until the fire???? I'm going to have to pick the lock on it in order to get the cylinder out because it didn't come with a key. If it turns out that the unit is no good, I'll look into the toggle switch idea.

Getting ready to replace the ignition lock cylinder in the ignition switch from a 1940 Plymouth. I was told that there are some aftermarket ones out there that are sold by some of the commercial auto stores. When I did an internet search for one that would be compatible with the 1940 Ply ignition switch, this is what came up....

http://www.autozone.com/1/products/60206-ignition-lock-cylinder-locksmart-lc14400.html 

..but when I called Auto Zone, they said that it wasn't showing up as compatible with a '40 Plymouth, but it would fit and 1947 Chrysler. It looks like it would fit in, but I want to be sure before buying it. Yes, I checked Bernbaum, who I know has it, but, as usual, is expensive. If I can get the same one, or similar, at a why cheaper price, I'd rather do that. 

What is the compatibility of these switches and lock cylinders? Would this ignition lock cylinder fit in any switch used in Chrysler/Mopar cars from 1940 to 1949?

Again, the switch is out of a 1940 Plymouth going into a '47 Plymouth

Administrator:  Please don't bounce this to my previous question regarding the aftermarket ignition switch. This is a different topic. 

The link shows up as a 1 x 1 pixel pic.....about the size of a pin point. It sure seems for the $65 Bernbaum wants for a switch, would've saved you a lot of time & trouble (and 2 threads on basically the same subject) trying to figure out what aftermarket switch will work. If you would've ordered the correct switch when you started this, it would be installed by now & you'd be driving your car (if it's roadworthy). Just my 2 cents. Good luck.

Hey Death, sorry, but not all of us have money coming out of our a$$. If you can afford Bernbaum, then that's wonderful.

Right now, I am using a temporary aftermarket switch which is just hanging a little below the dash, so the car is running. and I am driving it. This is why I can search around on the internet for a cheaper solution. 

Thanks, for your response, but it's not really helpful, nor is it what I'm looking for. 

BTW....can you see this now?  ;) 

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/LOC0/LC14400/03701.oap?year=1947&make=Chrysler&model=Saratoga%2BSeries&vi=1486587&ck=Search_03701_1486587_3974&pt=03701&ppt=C0329

If you can get the auto zone one you can try it. They should take it back for a refund if incorrect.

to install it, the ignition switch needs to be manually set to the on position, then with the cylinder set to the on position, slide the cylinder into place.

• Like 1

If you can get the auto zone one you can try it. They should take it back for a refund if incorrect.

to install it, the ignition switch needs to be manually set to the on position, then with the cylinder set to the on position, slide the cylinder into place.

Thank, Shel_ny. I just may end up doing that I just want to see if anyone else has purchased an aftermarket ignition lock cylinder, like this, and if it worked or not. 

Thank, Shel_ny. I just may end up doing that I just want to see if anyone else has purchased an aftermarket ignition lock cylinder, like this, and if it worked or not. 

The 14400 cylinder is a 4 position switch that I know fits 46 and up switches, but I can not help with confirming the fit for anything earlier. There were different switches used. Some cylinder fit from 35 up. Others do not.

Edited by shel_ny

Yes I used one in the ignition of my 46 pickup. Not sure how much that helps

• Like 1

Getting ready to replace the ignition lock cylinder in the ignition switch from a 1940 Plymouth. I was told that there are some aftermarket ones out there that are sold by some of the commercial auto stores. When I did an internet search for one that would be compatible with the 1940 Ply ignition switch, this is what came up....

http://www.autozone.com/1/products/60206-ignition-lock-cylinder-locksmart-lc14400.html 

..but when I called Auto Zone, they said that it wasn't showing up as compatible with a '40 Plymouth, but it would fit and 1947 Chrysler. It looks like it would fit in, but I want to be sure before buying it. Yes, I checked Bernbaum, who I know has it, but, as usual, is expensive. If I can get the same one, or similar, at a why cheaper price, I'd rather do that. 

What is the compatibility of these switches and lock cylinders? Would this ignition lock cylinder fit in any switch used in Chrysler/Mopar cars from 1940 to 1949?

Again, the switch is out of a 1940 Plymouth going into a '47 Plymouth

Administrator:  Please don't bounce this to my previous question regarding the aftermarket ignition switch. This is a different topic. 

Actually I fail to see where there is a significant difference in the threads..you still do want to spend any money to get what you really need...you still ended up used and about 6 years older than the one I posted the link to and YOU STILL out a key and lock cylinder...but hey...my optician says I see many thing in a different light.

Actually I fail to see where there is a significant difference in the threads..you still do want to spend any money to get what you really need...you still ended up used and about 6 years older than the one I posted the link to and YOU STILL out a key and lock cylinder...but hey...my optician says I see many thing in a different light.

You know, Tim, when I first came to this site back in 2006 or so, there used to be a lot of guys on here who were more than willing to be helpful and give helpful advice, and you were one of them. There would be no problem with someone asking a question that may have already been asked or posted. Someone would simply answer it or give advice, and again, and you were one of them. As time went on, some on this site started to change...becoming very cliquish, posting snarky remarks (possibly for the entertainment of others on here and themselves)....I don't know.  People also started becoming very anal and knit-picky about topics and questions posted by others, making them feel as if the questions they were asking were stupid ones, regardless if they were or not. Unfortunately, you have become one of those people that I'm talking about on here. I used to have high respect for your vast knowledge in our cars and looked forward to your replies with possible, helpful advice, but now I dread them because instead of being helpful, they are arrogant and condescending. It's that attitude that has made this site unpleasant, with an unfriendly atmosphere, and that, in turn, has caused many to leave the site. I used to recommend this site to others, but I don't anymore, which is sad because there are many on here who could be very helpful, like you use to be.

Edited by 47heaven

The 14400 cylinder is a 4 position switch that I know fits 46 and up switches, but I can not help with confirming the fit for anything earlier. There were different switches used. Some cylinder fit from 35 up. Others do not.

I guess you are right. I can try it, and if it doesn't work I can always take it back. I was just trying to avoid that step and put in the correct one. The good thing about these auto part stores is that they are good at taking back their items....with a receipt, of course.   :D

but Darrin the very link I sent you was of the right part, years newer with lock and key and included delivery...it is the spending of money for generic lock you have,,,finding an old lock when you stated you only wanted new modern stuff then settling on a much older lock that a correct cylinder an key is quite pricy for hoping all  along to get buy with yet another low cost option...WHICH you may...but in many instances time money and hassle does not always go to the same tune...I really though even at this time I was helping..but I can see where we do not share logic is the problem..you cool with your methods..I just question the long term process and still not where you want to be..for what may not be any savings at all and if so a dollar or two at the most..

If you can get the old tumbler out, you should be able to buy a new tumbler with Chrysler pentastar style key at O'Reilly auto store for a reasonable

price.  Or at least you could sometime back.    Just pops into the original housing.  Apparently the cost here is $7.99

lc14400photoprimary.jpg

loc.gif

For Pricing

& Availability, enter your zip code.

$7.99 Each

or

cs6l_primary.jpg
bwd.gif

• Lock Cylinder with Keys
  • Quantity Per Vehicle: 1

For Pricing

& Availability, enter your zip code.

Sorry, Bob. I totally never saw this post when you first posted it. I guess this is the cylinder that I have been talking about all along. 

but Darrin the very link I sent you was of the right part, years newer with lock and key and included delivery...it is the spending of money for generic lock you have,,,finding an old lock when you stated you only wanted new modern stuff then settling on a much older lock that a correct cylinder an key is quite pricy for hoping all  along to get buy with yet another low cost option...WHICH you may...but in many instances time money and hassle does not always go to the same tune...I really though even at this time I was helping..but I can see where we do not share logic is the problem..you cool with your methods..I just question the long term process and still not where you want to be..for what may not be any savings at all and if so a dollar or two at the most..

If you are talking about the Ebay link, yes that was the right part, but wrong price. I believe that there are ways of get around paying that much. Yes, I did tell you, at first, that I wanted to stay away from as much of the old electric technology as much as possible, but that was before I realized that I was never going to find an aftermarket switch that would fit in just like the original one did. When the old switch was offered to me, I of course jumped on it. Maybe it won't even work, but I won't know until I get the new cylinder installed. I guess at this point I have to stay optimistic. 

BTW....there is a perfect '47 NOS switch on Ebay, and it started at $10 with no reserve. With 6 six days left, I know it's going to jump 10X more.

Yes prices can vary form day to day..listing to listing..I personally thought for the money that the posted link was the faster easier plug and play method to get to your end goal.  I can agree with your saving money...we all do it as much as we can so our hobby dollars go farther...but when one looks at the down time, hours spent, distance traveled and returning stuff that does not fit after the fact..we do not always come out on top was all I was saying.  As you got an older switch..and this is NOS switch..you may want to watch this for the PUT ASIDE for later application...some folks buy when prices are right just to ensure they have it when the pieces go bad..