Pulled her out of the barn 1949 B1B

That's the old "hose-er-down-right-before-the-pictures" effect.  It definitely has a better look when the rust is dark.  I'll probably treat the rust spots like I did the rust on my McCormick 10-20 as it worked great.  Water beads off that tractor now.  The black paint has enough shine to come back with some wax.  I'm just glad it is clean, especially on the inside.  

So here is a question:  my interior panels are in pretty good shape except for the "headliner".  I know there are are some expensive kits out there to replace everything.  Are there any piecemeal kits?  Is there somewhere where I could just buy a new headliner panel?  Mice got up there and built a nest which caused damage to the point of needing replaced.

Really really nice.  I have wondered before when did milch become milk.

My Oxford English Dictionary shows "milk" is from the Old English "milc". If I remember my old English class in college correctly, that would have been pronounced "milk". So the German milch became Anglo-Saxon milk over a thousand years ago.

Or, perhaps both German milch and English milk both came out of an older northern Indo-European word that was a bit different from both. So maybe milch never became milk (implying one was the ancestor of the other) but rather like cousins, descended from a common ancestor.

Awesome, I love the lettering and I read earlier that you use linseed oil and mineral spirits.  My dad taught me that trick years ago and it is so fun washing wood and seeing the grain and letters pop out.

I would hope to see you and your truck at our Midwest Gathering this August 23 in Marion WI.  I have been working out of town so I have a lot of cathcing up to do, I will post a formal invite in the next few days.

Awesome truck, you do what you want because you are paying the bills but I would'nt change a thing (rust spot included).

So here is a question:  my interior panels are in pretty good shape except for the "headliner".  I know there are are some expensive kits out there to replace everything.  Are there any piecemeal kits?  Is there somewhere where I could just buy a new headliner panel?  ...          Try this place :  Quiet Ride Solutions , Stockton , Ca . 209-942-4777    www.quietride.com      If you do a search on this forum you will find photos of their products .  Their headliners are not the original cardboard type but at least they don't sag from age and or moisture in the air .  

• Like 1

It might look a bit out of place to have a brand new headliner in it. I suppose you could somehow age the surface of a new headliner? I wonder if you could use what you have as a pattern to make something that looked age appropriate? Or perhaps someone has an original they removed that could be reconditioned and pressed into service. You have a real time capsule here. It sure would be great if it could all be of the same period.

Just my two cents worth. :)

Jeff

• Like 1

I believe Reg Evans has patterns to make your own headliner. If he doesn't see this and chime in maybe you can send him a PM to see if he still has them.

Everyone I talk to is sort of missing Reg these days, at least I am. 

Hank  :)

I just sent Reg the following via e-mail. Once he knows he is missed he might respond.

• Members
  • 3,104 posts

Posted Today, 09:25 AM

Merle Coggins, on 13 May 2014 - 07:57 AM, said:snapback.png

I believe Reg Evans has patterns to make your own headliner. If he doesn't see this and chime in maybe you can send him a PM to see if he still has them.

Everyone I talk to is sort of missing Reg these days, at least I am. 

Hank  :)

What I would love to have been able to do is find a way to keep my old headliner.  Take it off and either reapply it to a new backing (that wouldn't sag) or something like that.  But after the sag, mice found their way up in the pocket and chewed some holes and made some pretty nasty stains/smells that I'll want to get rid of.  What would be awesome is to find an old headliner that someone is discarding from a dusty dodge and put it in mine.  You are right, what I don't want is something shiny new in my old truck....it will stick out and look weird.  

54illinois, of course I have heard the Plano Bologna Sandwich joke!  My granny told me that one as a kid!  

I'll take some photos and post for you guys to see.  I appreciate all the help everyone is offering up.  Reg, I'll send you an e-mail for those plans.  I think since my seat will need reupholstered, I may be able to get close with a brown faux leather vinyl for the seat and match it for a covering for the headliner if need be.