First drive for '42

jcmiller

Thanks to many of you here on the forum, we were able to take my '42 out for its first drive in about ten years.  I was worried about the brakes since I completely rebuilt them and live at the top of a big hill, but they worked just fine.  The engine, on the other hand, was pretty hard to keep running.  My friend Byron was able to keep it going with a lot of maneuvering of the pedals and dash controls, but it died on me at a stop and I couldn't get it going again.  I think a carburator rebuild is in order.  (I have a short video, but it's 2 MB and I don't see how to post it here.)

post-3715-0-55315400-1385531540_thumb.jpg

Congrats.  I would start the trouble shooting process by assure you have proper fuel flow from the tank to the carb before tearing into the carb.  If it runs good when it runs, the probability is that the culprit is between the tank and the carb.

I have a thing on my computer called "Dropbox" which I can save video clips which can the be emailed. I believe it would allow you to post your clip on here as well like you would an image. I am attaching a clip that I made to see if it works.

John R

http://s6.photobucket.com/user/plymguy/media/318VIDEO.mp4.html

I did it slightly differently.  When you install Dropbox, it creates a "public" folder on your computer.  You copy the file you want to share into that folder.  Then you right click on the file and select "copy public link."  Then you paste the link into email, forums, etc.

Hi Jeff,

After weeks of false starts and backfires (plus new muffler) I drove my P14 for the first time ever this weekend.  Got it up to 3rd gear and shifts fine but after once or twice around the block, it sputters out.  I think it's got to be electrical (not charging or something).  New coil, petronix ignition, carb, fuel pump, good pressure in bowl, etc.  Brake lite stays on too after using so back to the troubleshooting (even swapped that out).  Happy motoring.  -Brandon 

Hi Jeff,

After weeks of false starts and backfires (plus new muffler) I drove my P14 for the first time ever this weekend.  Got it up to 3rd gear and shifts fine but after once or twice around the block, it sputters out.  I think it's got to be electrical (not charging or something).  New coil, petronix ignition, carb, fuel pump, good pressure in bowl, etc.  Brake lite stays on too after using so back to the troubleshooting (even swapped that out).  Happy motoring.  -Brandon 

With a half decent battery you should be able to drive all day with a generator that is not charging. Not all night, but all day. Sputtering out after going around the block once or twice is most likely something different than the generator not charging.

Thanks for a suggestion Todd- did I mention I have a brand spankin' new Optima 6V with 100cca?  Ignition is a flame thrower Petronix also.  Something is rapidly depleting the power.  Also smell an elect burn.  I'm thinking the generator not charging or have the two field wires reversed?  Getting dark now in New Orleans so gonna call it quits and try again tomorrow.  Don't think I'll make the Sun afternoon cruise-in. 

Congratulations! These first drives are extremely gratifying, aren't they?

At the time of my cars first run after years of sitting, I lived on a hill too. Had a brake return spring go on my first drive... Made it down fine but sure wasn't going to make it back up! You and your buddy will always have the story of its first drive and how you had to keep it running.

Oh, after ten years of sitting, I'd recommend getting the tank boiled out and recoated along with that carb rebuild.

Edited by Shifticus