Site Offline 10/30/24 starting 9:30 AM PST ×

1954 Plymouth Suburban Project

pflaming

The fire really set me back, both in time and in leg strength. But the new building will really help and I am looking for a lift. With 10' walls and the roof peak I can get a lift so that I can walk under the car. No more on the concrete, on my back stuff. Do it right or don't do it is now my motto.

The license plate hold, mounted upside down on the dash would make a nice coffee cup shelf, maybe even hold an I-Pad. . . Got some thinking to do.

"Do it right. . . " for me references a lift and the new building. 

The license plate mount referenced in post 545 might make a nice shelf on my truck dash. 

Just thinking, I think!  Maybe I still have a bit of soot in brain. . . .

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

This thread will become more active when we return from our vacation in Maine. Friday I bought a tyranny and overdrive, will ship it home and used it in the '54 Suburban. The family is going to Quebec City the 12th and 13th so I was overridden on my plans to meet members in VT. I appears I have a job helping a farmer put up hay. It's all mechanical so only tractor driving. I will certainly enjoy that, been years since I've driven tractor in a field.

There is a very complete 36 Plymouth for sale about an hours drive from here. That would be a fun car.

• 7 months later...

Just did a compression / oil pressure test on the 54 suburban engine now that it is out of the car. Oil steady at 40# but compression is all over the place so will remove the head and see what is. Have to learn how to post pics with this new computer so they will follow. Phoenix is waiting for a rebuilt starter and will have to rebuild this one as well.

Wow my last thread on this was June!

I pulled the head this afternoon. The piston walls are smooth as glass, the ridge on the top is basically crust and will easily cut off, the valves all look fine, crusty, etc but non burned out on the edges. I was able to free all just by tapping and a little penetrating oil./

So will pull the them out, and do the usual. Will figure out how to post pics with my new puter.

Edited by pflaming

• 7 months later...

Big progress today. The day before our summer trip I bought a 54 suburban with a P25 engine and OD transmission. Thet will go into my rebuild. It also has a very nice rear bumper so my parts are coming in.

The.new wiring harness is on the shelf, I've traded this body, less the rear bumper, engine, and tyranny for a new floor and some minor body work, and I have a complete doghouse as well.

Should look somewhat like this gray car by Easter.

• 1 year later...

Wow, last post on this thread 9/2015. I am on my way to Harbor Freight to purchase a wire welder and  drill press. The return home and get ready to weld in the floor on my 53 suburban. Body shops want a fortune for simple light metal welding so the welder will pay off on this floor alone. I lost my drill press in the shop fire and cannot do without one any longer. With a welder, torch, and a drill press one can do a lot of fabrication. 

Wish me luck.

• Like 1

Just saw the thread, makes me feel better regarding the time we take sometimes to get on these projects. I will be re-reading it all soon as I am now turning my sights (and time) on my next project, a '54 Plaza wagon.   I wish you luck in your build PFlaming  the pic is from 2011, that's how long it has been in this condition.

54 two-tone 1-8-2011 -2.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

40dodgeboy, Wow, forum members will approve a full coat of prime!

Tomorrow I will hot wire the  engine, add a  radiator, etc and hopefully restart it in the afternoon. 

Edited by pflaming

I need a new electric  fuel pump and exhaust pipe and it's ready to start. We are headed for Pismo Beach til Thursday so .  . . 

110 degree weather meant short shop hours last week. 

Edited by pflaming

There is a huge time gap in this thread. I switched to the gray suburban. To date I disassembled the front suspension and rebuilt it, installed an EZ wiring kit, cut out the floors and fabricated new pieces ready for welding in, bought a pair of 2010 Lincoln bucket seats, restored the dash, cleaned and repainted the inside window frames, rebuilt the ,engine, fabricated a floor shifter for the three speed transmission, new fuel and brake lines, dual master cylinder, and more. 

I blew out my left knee so that really slowed things down will get it fixed in September.. Here are a few pics of my progress.  

Edited by pflaming
  • Like 1

But for the floors, very little rust. Original paint should polish up very nice. It is thin in a couple of roof area but that red oxide primer will be a nice touch of preserved history. Nothing has been polished yet. The doghouse will be painted to match.  I'm watching CL for an old style top rack.

The black is Plasti-tec which rubs off. I will paint that area on the three sides and tint the s window glass deep charcoal. When the  engine is back in,  the car will have a slight rake.  I paid $250 for this car. 

Edited by pflaming

It was parked because of an accident to the passenger side front fender. The sellers wife insisted he get it off the driveway so. . . I bought it for a parts car then discovered it was a solid car but for the damage. Car was / Is completely stock. I've replaced the 53 doghouse with a 54 and I pulled one front  brake drum and it appears they must have just rebuilt the front suspension and new brakes just prior to the accident. 

What interests me is the parking sticker on the front bumper which comes from Mares Island Navel Base, in the Bay Area. . I'm going to research the then owner. He might want it back. 

We are headed for Pismo this week. My respect to all vets on this holiday! TKS ! 

Paul

Edited by pflaming

Hi Paul,...I must have left this thread as subscribed because I started getting emails.

So great to see you doing OK and back to work on a car. I have not frequented this site as my project plans changed and to be real honest I did not need the cranky ignorant attitude of some of the members, life is to short!

Keep up the good work and you have no idea of how much help and assistance your posts have been, thank you.

Ray. :)