Ride,control And Handling

Hi all, I want to improve the ride quality and handling of my 108 inch WB 1955 Dodge/Fargo 1/2 ton pickup.

To date, new shocks, new brakes, king pins okay, installed a used steering box and idler arm, both in very good condition. The outer tie rod ends are sloppy, and I am going to rpelace very soon.

The front shackles and springs flex and retract okay, as does the rear shackles and springs. I have stock springs up front, no leaves removed, and 7 leaf spring in the rear. I do have a Mopar 8 1/4 diff with 3.23 gears.

Tonight driving down an old country road thats paved, was driving at variable speeds, 50-55-60-65 mph, 50-55 mph, handles pretty good, and control seems okay.

At 60-65, it gets scary, like I could lose control. I do need new tires, and the tires I have are not balanced in the rears, so that could be an issue too.

I have about 400 lbs of weight in the box, I do not really want to take out leafs, as I still want to haul things with this truck, when needed.

The upside, I am only turning 2400-2500 RPM at 60 mph with P205 75 15 tires, that are a bit wron down too.

I do want some suggestions on any ways to improve ride and handling , while remaining stock, and without major changes........thanx fred PS it sure don't ride like the 47 Chrysler

post-107-0-19596000-1371516644_thumb.jpg

Bad tie rods will make for a scary ride, & Unbalanced tyres in the rear will NOT affect ride quality.

You must realize that what you have is a TRUCK, & a sustained 50+ MPH is not what these vehicals were designed for back in the day.

I would suggest a steering stabilizer shock for the front end, Make sure that there is little play in the steering box, & replace the bad tie rod ends.

• Like 1

Years ago I had a late 60/early 70 1/2 T. I could hardly keep it on the road til I put new tires on it. What a difference. Sure would like to have that truck back.

PF

Bad tie rods will make for a scary ride, & Unbalanced tyres in the rear will NOT affect ride quality.

You must realize that what you have is a TRUCK, & a sustained 50+ MPH is not what these vehicals were designed for back in the day.

I would suggest a steering stabilizer shock for the front end, Make sure that there is little play in the steering box, & replace the bad tie rod ends.

Thanx Guy, the road was a bit rough too, and a good cross wind too. I am looking forward to the change with new tie rod ends and tires. But your right these trucks were meant for 50-55 mph highway speeds, not 65-70 mph... what type of stabilizer steering shock are you referring too?

Hi all, I want to improve the ride quality and handling of my 108 inch WB 1955 Dodge/Fargo 1/2 ton pickup.

To date, new shocks, new brakes, king pins okay, installed a used steering box and idler arm, both in very good condition. The outer tie rod ends are sloppy, and I am going to rpelace very soon.

The front shackles and springs flex and retract okay, as does the rear shackles and springs. I have stock springs up front, no leaves removed, and 7 leaf spring in the rear. I do have a Mopar 8 1/4 diff with 3.23 gears.

Tonight driving down an old country road thats paved, was driving at variable speeds, 50-55-60-65 mph, 50-55 mph, handles pretty good, and control seems okay.

At 60-65, it gets scary, like I could lose control. I do need new tires, and the tires I have are not balanced in the rears, so that could be an issue too.

I have about 400 lbs of weight in the box, I do not really want to take out leafs, as I still want to haul things with this truck, when needed.

The upside, I am only turning 2400-2500 RPM at 60 mph with P205 75 15 tires, that are a bit wron down too.

I do want some suggestions on any ways to improve ride and handling , while remaining stock, and without major changes........thanx fred PS it sure don't ride like the 47 Chrysler

Fred, I think you already know what needs to be done. Do it B)

Bad tie rods, bad tires and a bad front end alignment are not a good combination. I bet if you correct these things and adjust your steering box (if you haven't already) you will be very happy with the truck. Also if it has a drag link make sure that is tight. The little I have driven mine (without the box on it) it seems to be fine. It steers as easier than our 41 Desoto and drives as straight, it just doesn't ride as nice. Being a truck it will never ride like your Chrysler did, but it should drive close. 

Bad tie rods, bad tires and a bad front end alignment are not a good combination. I bet if you correct these things and adjust your steering box (if you haven't already) you will be very happy with the truck. Also if it has a drag link make sure that is tight. The little I have driven mine (without the box on it) it seems to be fine. It steers as easier than our 41 Desoto and drives as straight, it just doesn't ride as nice. Being a truck it will never ride like your Chrysler did, but it should drive close. 

Hi and thanx for your input. 

I have not done any more adjustment of this steering box, it is got very little play in it, and was this way on the bench before I installed it, may have to look at it again, once I install the new tie rod ends.

The tie rod ends are loose, I did check them again early today, 1 is actually moving in i'ts socket a lot, so a lot of play is created with just that by the looks of it.

Yes would agree will not ever ride as comfy as my 47 Chrysler did, just want to have reasonable handling at the higher highway speeds........PS the 3.23 diff is sweet though at higher speeds, the down side is only this, if in 4th gear at lower speeds, fighting high winds, picking up speed becomes a little slower of course.

I'll bet new tie rods will tighten 'er up a bit. Also check the drag link like Joe said. That's 4 joints your steering must go through to get to the front left wheel, so a little slop in each adds up! Plus any slop in the King Pins on top of that. Make sure the wheel bearings are snug too.

Like most of you have said, these will always ride like trucks, but IMO if you have a solid front end and radial tires, these things don't really handle all that bad. In fact they're a pleasure to drive. I'm on the freeway all the time with mine and it hugs the corners pretty good for what it is. The stock stiff suspension minimizes body roll well.

I'll bet new tie rods will tighten 'er up a bit. Also check the drag link like Joe said. That's 4 joints your steering must go through to get to the front left wheel, so a little slop in each adds up! Plus any slop in the King Pins on top of that. Make sure the wheel bearings are snug too.

Like most of you have said, these will always ride like trucks, but IMO if you have a solid front end and radial tires, these things don't really handle all that bad. In fact they're a pleasure to drive. I'm on the freeway all the time with mine and it hugs the corners pretty good for what it is. The stock stiff suspension minimizes body roll well.

I agree with the body roll! All the cars I have driven roll quite a bit in the corners and you have to take it pretty slow. The truck on the other hand is very stiff and stays level cornering. I think a lot of it has to do with the big weight difference between the cars and trucks though. My truck seems a little easier to drive than our Desoto. I also love the turn radius and easiness to turn with the truck. I can easily turn it around in a small country road intersection without having to stop and back up. Its very easy to maneuver. 

King pins must be BETTER than OK. The machinist said mine were just "OK" also, but I still put in new ones professionally trued. My truck tracks like a train. Poor foundation, poor performance. I can take my hands off the wheel at 65 mph and the truck stays true. JMHO

King pins must be BETTER than OK. The machinist said mine were just "OK" also, but I still put in new ones professionally trued. My truck tracks like a train. Poor foundation, poor performance. I can take my hands off the wheel at 65 mph and the truck stays true. JMHO

OKay means in good condition, while not new, they were replaced in this chassis not many mies ago, they take grease and are not loose, what else do I need? 

The tie rod right off the steering box is NOS, steering box in decent form, new seals lube and adjusted. Now the outer tie rod ends are a mess, and I need new tires that are balanced. All of this should help.

Incidentally, ever verify your speedo correct with a GPS, is your speedo accurate. I don't know but would think any of these old trucks would get a little harder to tame and control at speeds over 65 mph. I do like the steering but do undertand because of the truck springs front and back, that they will not ride like my modern day vehicle or even the 47 Chrysler I had. I would further claim a 108 inch WB truck would not ride quite as well as longer WB trucks

Thanx John, hoping as you have metnioned, new tie rod ends, tires, will really help correct problems. I also figure adding weight in the box will bea must, because of the stock leaf springs, I do not want to remove any, as I intend to haul things once in a while.

I also find these trucks manouver easy too. I find them a pleasure to drive, except on rough surfaces, then I find the stiff suspension isa rough ride, especially with no weightin the box.....

I agree with the body roll! All the cars I have driven roll quite a bit in the corners and you have to take it pretty slow. The truck on the other hand is very stiff and stays level cornering. I think a lot of it has to do with the big weight difference between the cars and trucks though. My truck seems a little easier to drive than our Desoto. I also love the turn radius and easiness to turn with the truck. I can easily turn it around in a small country road intersection without having to stop and back up. Its very easy to maneuver. 

Not sure how much weight you want to haul, but I took one leave out from each corner and the truck didn't settle down that much...but the ride is smoother.  I took out the second one from the bottom.  Unless you're going to max out the weight limit in the bed, I'm sure you'd be fine.

Tomorrow, I'm going to be driving my truck to my daughter's apartment with a dresser, nightstand and mirror...truck didn't drop much at all.  I loaded it up with about 16 large bags of mulch at home depot in the spring...no issues.

I wouldn't be afraid to remove a spring (after you get the rod ends/alignment/tires done) since those are your main problems.

Not sure how much weight you want to haul, but I took one leave out from each corner and the truck didn't settle down that much...but the ride is smoother.  I took out the second one from the bottom.  Unless you're going to max out the weight limit in the bed, I'm sure you'd be fine.

Tomorrow, I'm going to be driving my truck to my daughter's apartment with a dresser, nightstand and mirror...truck didn't drop much at all.  I loaded it up with about 16 large bags of mulch at home depot in the spring...no issues.

I wouldn't be afraid to remove a spring (after you get the rod ends/alignment/tires done) since those are your main problems.

Try a yard of sand, or 50 2X4s , I live in the country, so not just hauling a few light things once in a while. When I need to haul things it can get heavy. But pulling a leaf out, might not be that much of a problem to haul a 1000 lbs.

Getting these trucks to ride smoother is nicer thats for sure, but they will never handle like any modern vehicle with Independant front suspension, or any other old vehicle that has had these items added. I can live with that, still like the truck feel, just want to make it safe for speeds up to 65 mph, but figure will most likely cruise at the 55-60 mph range..thanx

Order a couple spring liner rolls from Speedway Motors, disassemble your spring packs, install the liner. Takes all the binding out of the springs. Most of the "boing" goes away.

You can add a front anti-roll bar. Ford Ranger is close enough, you'll have to make some new lower plates for your spring packs in order to attach the end links. You can also adapt an Aerostar or similar rwd anti-roll bar to the back end, again, you'll need to custom make lower plates for the end links to attach.

I'm pulling the bottom two leaves from each corner, they aren't in the factory wrapped sping packs anyway. Should take it back down to 1/2 ton status while lowering the truck a good bit. Mine has a hitch that will handle a 2 head horse trailer with ease, so the mower trailer can handle any real loads instead of the bed.

Don't want to tear up the bed floor too badly, mine's more toy than working truck. At least, that's the plan anyway.

• 11 months later...

Thought I would update this thread.

This spring installed new outer tie rod ends, steering box is has a small amout of lash, kng pincs tight, shocks newer.

I have greased the front end, and all shackles etc.

The spring hanger/shackles, are not seized.

I am still running stock springs with no leaves removed.

I have installed radial tires, mild SUV type.

My truck is like a rough old shopping cart on my gravel road at this time, the road is deeply ridged packed rock hard, full of holes. It does give a rougher ride in a modern vehicle too.

But my truck is just nasty on this road, going over pavement bumps and train tracks are not bad. I would like to either remove some leafs or improve this rough stiff ride in some way. I want to be clear, that in no way, do I expect a modern IFS type of ride,infact I do enjoy a truck type ride, but the pounding hard ride is not fun.

Any proven suggestions are welcomed, I do have about 300 lbs in the back of the truck now..

Today, deflated P 235 75 15 tires to 30 psi cold, they were 35 psi cold prior, and when driven they were 40 psi warm. This has softened the ride quite a bit, those WW bias tires, had a much softer ride, but I was all over the place driving with them...

• 10 months later...

Well time to bring this thread back to life.

my truck has decent SUV/truck radial tires 235-75-15s. Io do have new gas shocks on all 4 corners, new tie rod ends, tight king pins, steering box has minimal play, steers very well.

I do have 7 leaf springs up front and 6 leaf springs in the rear, the spring eye bushings all have play, not good.

This truck is riding like a "mad" shopping car on gravel roads, or over rougher paved surfaces and small potholes, not pleasant, and noisy.

I want to remove some springs and repair whats needed in order to soften the ride, and lower the truck a bit. I do not plan on any heavy hauling with her anymore.

I have done a bit of cruising at 60-65 mph, so want a better ride, this truck prefers 55-60 than 60-65, but does not seem to bother the engine any.....

I wonder how it would respond to a full on front end check like is outlined in the truck manual? You would have to find an old school shop that had the correct equipment and someone who understands the entire procedure. I have read through it and it is very involved and must be done in the prescribed order. I think it is one of those things that most of us never have done but might yield some pretty spectacular results.

This and a trip to Deavers spring shop are on my list of things I want done on my truck. I kinda think this is one of those items you really need an old pro for. ;)If you can find one....and then afford it. :eek:

Jeff

I wonder how it would respond to a full on front end check like is outlined in the truck manual? You would have to find an old school shop that had the correct equipment and someone who understands the entire procedure. I have read through it and it is very involved and must be done in the prescribed order. I think it is one of those things that most of us never have done but might yield some pretty spectacular results.

This and a trip to Deavers spring shop are on my list of things I want done on my truck. I kinda think this is one of those items you really need an old pro for. ;)If you can find one....and then afford it. :eek:

Jeff

Hi Jeff, yes no doubt it would yield good results. So many of these old trucks up here were used rural, on gravel roads, and farm yards and rough usage.

The steering is not bad at all, but when you have 7 stiff springs up front, and bushings on the leaf spring hangers sloppy, that will transmit to some good vibration and a rough ride. Stiff springs, banging on sloppy connection points...surprised they ride as well as they do.

I do not subscribe to the notion these trucks especially the shorter wheel based like mine were designed even right off the production floor, for speeds of 70-80 mph, oh yes we can make them do it, but they were not intended to do so.

I would hate to lose it on some hills or on a busy freeeway going over 70 mph, unless the brakes and front suspension were upgraded.

Having said this, I can get away with a lot more in my area, lighter taffic, slower traffic, no huge busy freeways or mountain roadways.

I do know, this truck does not ride as well as my 47 Chrysler did, but why should it ride like my old boat did.......LOL

Edited by Fargos-Go-Far

Yes and the fact is that most of us simply do not have all the special tools to assess the condition of all this. At best we can replace worn components but to get all the settings correct? I know that is beyond my skills. If you figure that these trucks are 60 plus years old and probably haven't had any of this truly checked out in a long time.......well then?

I know this is something I really want to have a pro look at. I am just guessing but I imagine it ain't going to be cheap. $300? more?

Jeff

Hi Jeff, yes having a shop do a thorough job could cost a few buck$. i would be happy taking out a few springs and getting things tighter, plus i want a lower stance with my truck.

BTW I would think this is a common issue with our trucks, have done a lot of searching, kinda surprised there aren't more posts sharing what they did, or did not do, regarding this issue.....

Edited by Fargos-Go-Far

Ah huh. I suppose it is one of those things that doesn't really get the attention it deserves. If you read through that section in the manual.....there is a lot going on there. And none of it too glamorous. It doesn't really show and without all the special tools how would you know how close to spot on it is? And by the time you factor in springs, shackles, shocks etc.....I think the average owner is just happy with OK.

I do know that I have had experience on other vehicles where just getting the right set of shocks installed was like a complete transformation. Sometimes it is something simple like that. On a 60 year old truck though I feel like it has to start with making sure all the front end adjustments are as they should be. Also who is to say if the shocks which are commonly available for our trucks are all that good? Just because they are new and fit doesn't mean they are really up to the job at hand.

How would you know unless you had the opportunity to try out several different sets of shocks?

Jeff

• Like 1