Radio For Pilot-House

I am restoring a B2B and have the ability to buy a used radio if working from the local Dodge dealer at whatever price I deem reasonable.  My main question is what would be a fair price?  Bunn's book talks of an 802 for the 48-50 models and a 610 for later years.  I have read on past threads in the forum that the difference is the number of tubes and that the 802 was a better radio.  Are they the same size and interchangeable?  I have also seen different model numbers mentioned (800, 801, 803, and 602).  What are these?

This is a great forum and I am very glad I found it.  I have already used information from this forum to decide what tires I needed and best places for bed replacement and wiring harness.  Thank You

My 48 has that radio. Buttons don't work. I have tried to move stations with buttons but the needle does not move. Dial works fine though.

Thats how its supposed to work. Only putting it on the dial button makes the needle move. Otherwise under each chrome knob is a little dial to set the presets for them.

I am restoring a B2B and have the ability to buy a used radio if working from the local Dodge dealer at whatever price I deem reasonable.  

Hello Larry and welcome to the forum.

Radios are a rare commodity.  My 610-T took me 29 years to find (really).  The 602 and 802 are fine radios and non working ones vary in value.  Cosmetic appearance is one of the most important factors. The next best thing is to open the radio up and find it has never been repaired (or messed with by an amateur).  You can bet that any radio you find will most likely not work and even if it does you will want to rebuild it by replacing all the wax capacitors with modern day ones.  Tubes hardly ever go bad and the nice thing about Motorola radios is that they used the same tubes across the boards, in many different models, over many years.   Buying a non-working radio is really your best bet and unless you are buying from a radio aficionado makes for one heck of a trump card in getting the radio into your hands. Restoring a radio is not hard, takes some practice and some time.

Working Radio (expect to pay any where from $100 to $500)

Non Working (expect to pay anywhere from $25 to $150)

Good Luck,

Hank :)  

Edited by HanksB3B

I bought a restored 602 from Craig's list for $150 and after 5 months or so after installing it, the dang thing didn't work. So I then ordered a electronic vibrator and a high voltage tube (oz-4) so for another $50 I had a working radio. It took a little tweaking to match it to my antenna tnen it works well. I pulled the caps off and adjusted the tuner to pick up around 4 stations here.

I have two un-working parts radios still here. If any one wants them, they're yours for shipping.

I couldn't believe that it was possible for that radio to fit in the dash, but when I removed the cut out in the firewall insulator in the area of the bump, it went right in.

Dennis

Hi Dennis,  (I think it was your "stake pocket" antenna mount I copied)

The vibrators of old where mechanical and like the difference between tube radios and solid state radios, whether you run with the original type or the solid state type (which are readily available from antique radio parts houses for $29.98 or so. It's a sure bet you'll want one of those. Trouble shooting is a whole other thing.  You'll need a 6V power supply (circa 1950's) I happen to have one an EICO model 1064.  If you look around at electronics swap meets this summer you are likely to find on though they are becoming rare.  I enjoyed restoring my 610-T took my time learning technique, tips & tricks,  gathering supplies and tools and of course learning to get professional solder joints.  It took me 4 weeks.  Now it would take me far less.

Hank  :)

P.S. and oh yes... "You'll Electrocute Yourself"  (or permanently look either like Doc or Frasier)

Thanks guys I now have some idea on the value of the radio and what a radio vibrator does.  I should mark the problem as solved now, but was wondering about a speaker?  Are there new speakers that fit correctly behind the speaker grille?  How are they mounted?

Larry

Larry,

That is actually one of the more difficult parts of the install.  My 610-T called for a 6x9 speaker and I got lucky and there was an adaptor plate and rotten old speaker included with my old field find of a radio (along with a few mud-dauber's wasps nests). 

RadioasFound-1.jpg

2013-02-26_0323_zps0a756c02.png

This image seems to be for the vertical mount Motorola Radios.  Maybe one of the guys has the "Service Manual", unfortunately, I don't.  

Try http://www.turnswitch.com/speakers.htm  for speakers.

DSC_0018.jpg

Have fun,

Hank  :)

Edited by HanksB3B

Thanks guys I now have some idea on the value of the radio and what a radio vibrator does.  I should mark the problem as solved now, but was wondering about a speaker?  Are there new speakers that fit correctly behind the speaker grille?  How are they mounted?

Larry

You can look here as well.

http://www.turnswitch.com/speakers.htm

I found a good condition Philco 802, sent it to Bob's Radio and had the internal changed to a FM board. Now AM still works (but I never use it) and I have FM/Stero. Sounds and looks original/new. I also found a side fender antenna to complete the original look. Cost more but worth the cash...

post-4693-0-77943600-1361940052_thumb.jpgpost-4693-0-79263100-1361940106_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I had a 48 Georgia license plate on the front bumper plate but am about to register it as my primary tag (just about done w/the refinish - the aluminum tags are much harder to refinish vs steel.  I got lucky on the antenna, found a NOS in the box w/all original printed instructions in the original box - at a flea market!  Pretty cool w/the large orange ball on the tip.  When extended it is 4'. This one was a 5 yr project but almost done (still need to do the wood bed slats) but am putting my time in the 67 Fairlane so my 2 daughters and wife can cruise w/me.  The 4 of us are TOO big for the B1C.  Love the Fairlane but the B1C is my first love and daily driver when the sun is out. 

Depending on LA or Detroit production facilities, this was about the time the antenna's were moved to the top of the fender vs the side (same for vacume or electric wiper motors!).  Based on my LA production run, the antenna's were still on the side.  Look for a large orange ball on the top.  As my 9 yr old say, about the size of 4 skittles!

I found a good condition Philco 802, sent it to Bob's Radio and had the internal changed to a FM board. Now AM still works (but I never use it) and I have FM/Stero. Sounds and looks original/new. I also found a side fender antenna to complete the original look. Cost more but worth the cash...

attachicon.gifMopar 802 radio.jpgattachicon.gifSinclair Station 2.JPG

Where is the gas station in your picture located? Same one as seen in the background of this picture?

honeys.jpg

Car is located in Dawsonville, GA, Hemphills Station at the NASCAR Hall of Fame (home of Bill Elliott)......

Truck is located at 2 antique stations:  one in Dawsonville, GA different pumps, the other in Cumming, GA.

Many old stations in N GA being remodeled these days.  Great for old car pics........

You can buy a very similar fender mount antenna brand new from LMC Truck. 48-? Ford catalog. Also available from dozens of similar retailers, or brand new from Freightliner. Conventional cab sleeper trucks mount them behind the driver side door, antenna cord is 10 or 12' long over all.

Want more of a 1957-60 Power Giant style cab top antenna? Peterbilt 377, 378 and 379 are good donors... and have a windshield header mounted radio box that can be cut down to size... just another option if you can't get the correct upright radio.

Big rigs can also be excellent donors for interior door handles, window cranks, trim rings (look in older R series Macks for those 3 items), visors, dash knobs and switches, floor mounted mechanical throttle pedals (early 90s and back Pete/KW), interior mirror (OLD day cabs), shifter boots, pedal seals (Pete and KW)... trim items too. All kinds of interesting chrome and stainless in older semis.

Car is located in Dawsonville, GA, Hemphills Station at the NASCAR Hall of Fame (home of Bill Elliott)......

Truck is located at 2 antique stations:  one in Dawsonville, GA different pumps, the other in Cumming, GA.

Many old stations in N GA being remodeled these days.  Great for old car pics........

Had lunch at the Dawsonville pool room a few years back with a couple of forum members.

http://www.dawsonville.com/Portals/41/PoolRoom.jpg

papertowels.jpg

meetingoftheminds1.jpg