When did they start using a pressure cap?

Rusty O'Toole

When did Chrysler products first use a pressurized cooling system? I have a 49 Chrysler, 51 DeSoto and have seen an original low mile 52 Chrysler that all came with non pressure caps. At first I thought they had the wrong caps, I thought they used a 4 pound cap (which fits). Now I am not so sure, does anyone know the answer?

I think they used 4 pound first, then changed to 7 pound around 1960, then a 12, a 14, and now they use a 16 since about 1990?

Rusty..not sure of the examples given but as I do own Plymouths and have the Plymouth shop manual here; it states that the pressure cooling system was intoduced in middle of 1950 for Plymouth cars.

Identification of pressure system:

All pressure systems then had their overflow tubes configured to the radiator fill neck.

Unfortunately both the shop book and owners manual fail to mention the pressure of the cap..well, at least it seems to elude me..

From the 1954 MoPar parts list book.

1st column is Plymouth.

Hi Shel, so on my 1955 Fargo, with L6 251, should I use a 4lb or 7 lb cap, I have both. They are available at NAPA for one. I bought mine locally at a local Chain, Piston Ring....