oil gauge ferrule

ok, so I need to replace my oil pressure gauge line. A member is being kind enough to send me a replacemnt tube, but I was wondering if anyone knew where to find these beasts? The ferrule to seat the line to the back of the gauge seems to be an oddity.

2012-04-03113632.jpg

Edited by ggdad1951

You might find them at farm equipment dealers. Grease banks used a variety of unusual fittings and ferrules not commonly found in hardware stores.

YoungEd MAY have found the fitting. If they are wrong, I might just stub the line and stick a union on and call it a day, no one would ever know and the tube right by the fitting is n good shape.

Here it is. When cranked down for the first time the ferulle piece breaks free of the fitting and clamps down on the line. Its a special type of compression fitting mainly used currently for pilot light gas lines.

IMAG0065.jpg

• Like 1

Flare the existing line and put a double female union on it. It's convenient to have a union on the engine side of the firewall anyway.

Do the trucks not have a rubber flex line on the firewall to keep the oil line from vibrating with the engine?

Guest P15-D24
Here it is. When cranked down for the first time the ferulle piece breaks free of the fitting and clamps down on the line. Its a special type of compression fitting mainly used currently for pilot light gas lines.

Did this work?

Guest P15-D24
Do the trucks not have a rubber flex line on the firewall to keep the oil line from vibrating with the engine?

The trucks do not have the flex line even though the parts books mentions one.

My 52 truck has the factory-installed flex line for the oil gauge GTK...

Actually, I have now checked a number of photos from other trucks that I have and they all seem to have the flexible rubber line too. Maybe that's another thing that we did different to you guys here in Oz?

Desotodav

post-7583-13585367742786_thumb.jpg

Flare the existing line and put a double female union on it. It's convenient to have a union on the engine side of the firewall anyway.

mine had one on the engine side of the firewall already and I plan on putting that back in. Seems everyone I've seen had that union for the exact reason you state, and ease of installation.

We haven't tried it yet. Mark or I will certainly follow up after we try and install it on his truck.

I plan on getting that all install in two weeks, if not sooner. First I have to go cheer the GOPHERS on in the Frozen Four in Tampa for the next 5 days!

Guest P15-D24

75% of the trucks they did not use the rubber flex line but instead had a coupling near the dash. (Poll here) Plus the feed line was very long going to the second from the front oil gallery plug for the feed. I thin the long feed line absorbed the vibration. My truck is pretty stock with me being the second owner and it had the coupling. In Bunn's B Series book a pic show the coupling and no flex line. From what I have been able to discover is all the passenger cars have flex lines.

• 4 weeks later...

as an update on this: the fitting Ed found worked very well and should be able to be used! Since Ed picked these up he deserves the credit (and explaination as to what he got).

• 4 years later...

I just had to replace my female to female coupling on the engine side of the firewall because mine split when i was putting it back together.  I had to disconnect it to get access to the back of gauge cluster on my 1951 B3B so I could install a 12V bulb after my 12 volt conversion. It gives you way more room to work if you can disconnect the oil line since its a hard line. Anyway, the coupling split on one side so I had to replace it.  I went to NAPA and they had an orange cabinet of brass fittings in the back behind the counter and they let me dig through it. I came up with a 3FI-3FI coupling and it worked fine for my truck.  This thread led to what I needed so thanks for that.  If anybody has the same problem here's a $2.50 solution that is hopefully not too far from your house.

PS - Dont forget to hook it back up. If you start your truck with that line disconnected it makes a mess. Whoops.

DodgeCoupling.jpg

Edited by Weishaarkc
  • Like 1

• 4 years later...