Test Fit

55 Fargo

Hey all, test fitting on a new/old box, and drivers door.

I know it looks pretty scary, but this truck is running well. Next spirng will take off box, front clip, and get busy with cleaning frame,engine and under cab, then painting, then apanel by panel will work out all the kinks.

I know it may not look like it, but I have a lot of time and effort into this truck already, started with just a frame and chassis, this fall...

post-114-13585365078926_thumb.jpg

post-114-13585365079464_thumb.jpg

post-114-13585365079752_thumb.jpg

Hey there, I'll tel you, this was rough start too, bought the frame enginechassis about 6 years ago, bout a 1 ton, wfor the cab and front sheet metal in September, and just bouight the Fargo 1/2ton now for the doors, hood, box, and whatever else, all the leftovers, are going to a Mopar Buddy.

Some pics

post-114-13585365128897_thumb.jpg

post-114-13585365129412_thumb.jpg

post-114-13585365129838_thumb.jpg

post-114-13585365130109_thumb.jpg

post-114-13585365130401_thumb.jpg

Fred I say you put the rear fenders on get it reliable and enjoy. You'll have a lot more fun with a truck that looks like it does some work than with one all shiney.

Sorry if I'm asking an old question, but....full running boards? or the short boards.....I know you're using the 53 style rear fenders, but have only seen the short runners.

48D

I do not know which fenders I am going to use, the rounds, or the 56 rectangular, all are beat, the rounds are in slightly better shape.Running boards have been cut, I do need boards for both sides, may have to make some up, I have 3 sets of boards, all rough, maybe piece some together...

Ed, all mechanical, and safety items, will be done 1st, the box needs a floor done, some metal in the rear of the cab, and will paint frame, and and engine.

I may do the rough body work, shoot in primer, or leave as is for a while.

This truck will be used for work around here, trips to dump, to haul lumber,gravel or dirt.

I will then do all body work, panel by panel, then paint, but this truck is going to bea driver, and that is what I will do, incluidng driving to work sometimes too.

The 47 Chrysler will be driven for special occasions, and when the weather and gravel road are in optimum form.....

Yer gettin' there Fred. Keep up the good work. It's startin' to look like a truck der ay.

Merle

Thanx Merle, this spring the box will come of, and front clip for some frame painting, under the cab is good access to frame and undefloor, so not lifiting it up again.

I might paint under the rear frame in garage later this winter, going to wirebrush, 3m disc and sandparer frame and diff, then paint on some black Zero Rust or Tremclad, good enough for me.

Any idea what thickness and width the truck bed boards should be?.....

Here's some info from the Mar-K site. Maybe it'll help. I got all of my hardware and etc from them. I've been pleased with their products and support. Others like Bruce Hornkey too but I have no experience with him.

http://www.mar-k.com/bed_identification_dodge_short.html

http://www.mar-k.com/bedwooddimensions.pdf

http://www.mar-k.com/SPACING_BED_WOOD_BOARDS.pdf

Try original patina for a while before you paint it. I like the look of the 55. Nice truck! Is that a car frame or is the 55 frame different than the preceding frames?

Edited by pflaming

This is the second thread on the logon page about beds and bed wood. I'd like to throw in my two cents as well. I got my wood, strips, and side strips from bed wood and parts (bedwoodandparts.com). They have all of the dimensions for the various beds but send you a diagram to personalize. You can also select your flavor of wood (I got hickory boards for my truck). I talked with the owner on the phone and he was willing to provide all of the help I needed--including additional hardware). First class show but definitely not the cheapest choice.

post-7152-135853651408_thumb.jpg

New wood is very nice but a new piece of marine plywood finished to your liking works also. I went black because that was how many came from the factory and its practical. Personal taste.

post-23-13585365141639_thumb.jpg

Here is my patchwork Truck in the light of day, Boy does this old Girl need some make up......LOL

Do the round fenders look wrong for this truck?, I have the rectangular, but they are almost gone beyond recall...

post-114-13585365155755_thumb.jpg

post-114-13585365156081_thumb.jpg

post-114-13585365157183_thumb.jpg

looks like she needs bigger rubber, or more weight in the back end. Otherwise I think the round fenders look just fine!

Edited by ggdad1951

looks liek she needs bigger rubber, or more weight inteh back end. Otherwise I think the round fenders look just fine!

Well I do have the over loader springs, but the box is up 2-3 inches, and it will go down that much, when I mount it in with bolts. I have it elevated right now.

The rubber could be bigger too....

I like the newer fenders on the 55's. OT My father always had a steel box 12 x 12 x 12 welded together then filled it with iron filings, then mounted it under the bed where the spare tire would be. It lowered the truck, made it ride better and significantly improved the traction in mud, snow and sand. I'm going to do the same. OT